Mountford Surname Meaning & Statistics
33,115th most common
surname in the world
people bear this surname
Most prevelant in:England
Highest density in:Bermuda
This surname is derived from a geographical locality. 'de Montfort.' Lower, in his Patr. Brit, says that there are two places in Normandy called Montfort, one situated near Argenlan, the other near Pont-Audemer. The latter is a fortified town.Read More About This Surname
Find Mountford Family Records
Mountford Surname Distribution
|Country||Incidence||Frequency||Rank in Nation|
|United Arab Emirates||31||0.000328181%||632|
|Place||Incidence||Frequency||Rank in Area|
Mountford Surname Meaning
Descriptive Writing for introductory reference
This surname is derived from a geographical locality. 'de Montfort.' Lower, in his Patr. Brit, says that there are two places in Normandy called Montfort, one situated near Argenlan, the other near Pont-Audemer. The latter is a fortified town. (2) Local, 'of Montford,' a parish five miles from Shrewsbury, Salop.
Simon de Monteforte, Nottinghamshire, 1273. Hundred Rolls.
Petronilla de Monteforti, Wiltshire, ibid.
Henry de Monteforti, Somerset, ibid.
Henry Mounfort, Somerset, t Edward III: Kirby's Quest.
Reginald de Monte Forti, Somerset, 1 Edward III: ibid.
1586. John Mountford, Warwickshire: Register of the University of Oxford.
1602. Buried — John Mounford: St. Antholin.
1621. Married — Frederic Steward and Abigail Mondeford, of Mondeford, in Norfolk: St. Michael, Cornhill.— A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames, written: 1872-1896 by Charles Wareing Endell Bardsley
In the 16th century the distinguished family of Mountford owned the manor of Aldrich (E.). The name is also represented in Herefordshire.— Homes of Family Names in Great Britain (1890) by Henry Brougham Guppy
Mountford Surname Variants & Similar Names
Mountford Reference & Research
Click here to submit links to web-pages detailing the Mountford family.
- Description: Descriptions are largely reproduced from 3rd party sources; diligence is advised on accepting their validity
- Incidence: The approximate number of people in a given area who bear the surname
- Frequency: The percentage of people in a given area that bear the surname
- Rank: Surnames are ranked by incidence using the dense ranking method; the surname that occurs the most is assigned a rank of 1; surnames that occur less frequently receive an incremented rank; if two or more surnames occur the same number of times they are assigned the same rank and preceding rank is incremented by 1
- Variants: Surnames listed in the 'Mountford Variants' section are variant forms of the same root surname according to either sources listed on the page or Forebears
- Similar: Surnames listed in the 'Similar Surnames' section are phonetically similar and may not have any relation to Mountford