Guisborough Genealogical Records
Guisborough Birth & Baptism Records
An index to births registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of birth certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.
Digital images of baptism registers, searchable by a name index. These records detail relationships between parents and their children and may detail where they lived and how they made a living.
Records of baptism for Primitive Methodist Circuit, Guisborough between 1850 and 1903. Details include child's name, parents' names and dates of birth and/or baptism.
Records of baptism for Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, Guisborough between 1840 and 1926. Details include child's name, parents' names and date of birth and/or baptism. Records may also include parent's occupations, residence, place of origin and more.
Transcriptions of registers recording baptisms. Records may include parents' names, date of baptism, date of birth, place of residence and father's occupation.
Guisborough Marriage & Divorce Records
An index to marriages registered throughout England & Wales. This is the only national marriage index that allows you to search by both spouse's names. Provides a reference to order copies of marriage certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.
Digital images of marriage registers, searchable by a name index. These records may help trace a family as far back as 1813.
A growing index of marriages registered in the county. Records include a reference to the sub-registration district, making it easier to order the correct certificate.
An index of 87,560 names occurring in registers recording intentions to marry. The index is connected to images of the original registers.
An index to 206,076 marriages, linked to images of the original registers. These records will provide parents' names, residences, occupations, ages and other details.
Guisborough Death & Burial Records
An index to deaths registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of death certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.
Digital images of burial registers, searchable by a name index. They may detail the deceased's name, residence and age. Some records may contain the names of relations, cause of death and more.
Burial records covering those buried at St Nicholas, Guisborough_. This resource is an index and may not include all the details that were recorded in the burial registers from which they were extracted.
An index to burials recorded in the registers of a Quaker church. The index contains the name of the deceased, the date of their burial and their age where available.
A growing index of deaths registered in the county. Records include a reference to the sub-registration district, making it easier to order the correct certificate.
Guisborough Church Records
Records recording teens and young adults commitment to the Christian faith.
Documentation for those baptised, married and buried at England. Parish registers can assist tracing a family back numerous generations.
The primary source of documentation for baptisms, marriages and burials before 1837, though extremely useful to the present. Their records can assist tracing a family back numerous generations.
An Anglican newspaper covering the affairs of the Church of England, national and international news.
Guisborough Census & Population Lists
The 1911 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.
The 1901 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.
The 1891 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.
The 1881 census provides details on an individual's age, residence and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows for searches on multiple metrics including occupation and residence.
Guisborough Wills & Probate Records
Searchable index and original images of over 12.5 million probates and administrations granted by civil registries. Entries usually include the testator's name, date of death, date of probate and registry. Names of relations may be given.
Digital images, indexed by testor's name, of 28,716 wills, administrations, inventories and other probate documents. The records can shed light on an individual’s relations, possessions, land holdings, legal agreements and more. They cover various jurisdictions throughout the north of England.
An index to 263,822 wills, administrations and other probate documents proved by an ecclesiastical court in York. The index included the testor's name, residence, year of probate, type of document and reference to order copies of the referenced document(s.).
An index to 10,195 wills, administrations and other probate documents proved by an ecclesiastical court in York. The index included the testor's name, residence, occupation, will & probate year, language, type of document and reference to order copies of the referenced document(s.).
An index to wills, proved by the Derby Probate Registry. Index includes name, residence and year of probate. Contains entries for Yorkshire, Cheshire, Lancashire, Staffordshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and other counties.
Newspapers Covering Guisborough
A local newspaper including news from the Hartlepool area, family announcements, business notices, advertisements, legal & governmental proceedings and more.
This fully searchable newspaper will provide a rich variety of information about the people and places of the Middlesbrough district. Includes family announcements.
This fully searchable newspaper will provide a rich variety of information about the people and places of the Yorkshire district. Includes family announcements.
Britain's most popular provincial newspaper, covering local & national news, family announcements, government & local proceedings and more.
An illustrated, conservative newspaper with a national focus.
The UKs largest repository of obituaries, containing millions of searchable notices.
A growing collection currently containing over 425,000 abstracts of obituaries with reference to the location of the full obituary.
A collection of 364 obituaries of Quakers from the British Isles. The volume was published in 1849 and includes obituaries of those who died in late 1847 through 1848.
This transcribed and searchable work by Sir William Musgrave contains 10,000s of brief obituaries. The work is a reference point for other works containing information on an individual.
A text index and digital images of all editions of a journal containing medical articles and obituaries of medical practitioners.
Vital details extracted from tombstones and other monuments at St Peter At Brotton, Guisborough.
Vital details extracted from tombstones and other monuments at Cemetery, Guisborough.
Vital details extracted from tombstones and other monuments at Quaker Burial Ground, Guisborough.
Vital details extracted from tombstones and other monuments at St Nicholas, Guisborough.
Vital details extracted from tombstones and other monuments at Christ Church At Westerdale, Guisborough.
Guisborough Directories & Gazetteers
A directory outlining the history of settlements in the North and East Ridings and listing their commercial, private and professional residents.
A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key historical and contemporary facts. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions. Also contains a list of residents and businesses for each place.
Historical, topographical and contemporary descriptions of settlements, suffixed with lists of businesses and residents.
A comprehensive gazetteer of cities, towns and townships; to which are appended lists of their residents, trades and occupations.
A directory of settlements in Westmorland detailing their history, agriculture, topography, economy and leading commercial, professional and private residents.
Guisborough Court & Legal Records
Transcriptions of pleas brought before a court. They largely concern land disputes.
Records of over 300,000 prisoners held by quarter sessions in England & Wales. Records may contain age, occupation, criminal history, offence and trial proceedings.
Over 175,000 records detailing prisoner's alleged offences and the outcome of their trial. Contains genealogical information.
From the late 18th century many prisoners in Britain were kept on decommissioned ships known as hulks. This collection contains nearly 50 years of registers for various ships. Details given include: prisoner's name, date received, age, year of birth and conviction details.
Guisborough Taxation Records
A transcription of the Lincolnshire section of the Domesday Book, which records land ownership, use and value in the late 11th century; and similar survey completed in 1118.
Guisborough Land & Property Records
Guisborough Occupation & Business Records
Profiles of collieries in the north of England, with employment statistics, profiles of those who died in the mines and photographs.
Reports of mining distastes, includes lists of the deceased and photographs of monuments.
An introduction to smuggling on the east coast of England, with details of the act in various regions.
A searchable book detailing the Yorkshire Rugby Football Union around the time of the Great War. Contains the names of many players and other persons associated with the sport.
Guisborough School & Education Records
A name index linked to original images of registers recording the education and careers of teachers in England & Wales.
A name index connected to digital images of registers recording millions of children educated in schools operated by the National Society for Promoting Religious Education. Records contain a variety of information including genealogical details, education history, illnesses, exam result, fathers occupation and more.
A name index linked to original images of short biographies for over 120,000 Oxford University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.
A transcript of a vast scholarly work briefly chronicling the heritage, education and careers of over 150,000 Cambridge University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.
A searchable database containing over 90,000 note-form biographies for students of Cambridge University.
Pedigrees & Family Trees Covering Guisborough
A searchable database of linked genealogies compiled from thousands of reputable and not-so-reputable sources. Contains many details on European gentry & nobility, but covers many countries outside Europe and people from all walks of life.
Over 600 pedigrees for English and Welsh families who had a right to bear a coat of arms.
A compilation of lineage-linked family trees submitted by Ancestry users. The database contains over 2 billion individuals and is searchable by numerous metrics.
Guisborough Royalty, Nobility & Heraldry Records
Photographs and descriptions of North Riding's most illustrious church monuments, often featuring effigies, medieval inscriptions and heraldic devices.
Pedigrees compiled from a late 16th century heraldic visitation of Yorkshire. This work records the lineage, descendants and marriages of families who had a right to bear a coat of arms.
Pedigrees compiled from a early 17th century heraldic visitation of Yorkshire. This work records the lineage, descendants and marriages of families who had a right to bear a coat of arms.
Guisborough Military Records
A history of the militia, supplemented by lists of its officers.
A general history of the regiment, including biographies of its colonels.
An inventory of memorials commemorating those who served and died in military conflicts.
A chronicle of happenings in the counties of Northumberland, Durham and Yorkshire relating to the war in Europe. Contains much detail on ship building.
Lists of officers by rank, regiment and name.
Guisborough Immigration & Travel Records
A name index connected to original images of passenger lists recording people travelling from Britain to destinations outside Europe. Records may detail a passenger's age or date of birth, residence, occupation, destination and more.
A full index of passenger lists for vessels arriving in the UK linked to original images. Does not include lists from vessels sailing from European ports. Early entries can be brief, but later entries may include dates of births, occupations, home addresses and more. Useful for documenting immigration.
Details on over 600,000 non-British citizens arriving in England. Often includes age and professions. Useful for discerning the origin of immigrants.
Details on thousands of 17th century British immigrants to the U.S., detailing their origins and nature of their immigration.
A list of over 40,000 passengers traveling from North America to the British Isles. Details of passengers may include: occupation, nationality, gender, age, martial status, class, destination, and details of the vessel they sailed on.
Guisborough Histories & Books
A history of the parishes in the Cleveland region of Yorkshire.
An index of windmills in the county, with brief notes and some photographs.
An English translation of Yorkshire domesday records. This transcripts details the county's landowners in 1086.
Biographical Directories Covering Guisborough
A listing of the prominent residents of the county of Yorkshire, giving details on family, education, careers, hobbies, associations and more. Also includes details on the county's government officials, military officers, members of parliament, religious leaders and demographics.
Biographies of hundreds of men who served as officers in The Green Howards, an infant regiment in the King's Division. Details given include parentage, date of birth, military career and later professional career.
A number of maps of northern England with the locations of collieries plotted.
Maps showing settlements, features and some buildings in mainland Britain.
Maps of parishes in England, Scotland and Wales. They are useful in determining which parish records may be relevant to your research.
Guisborough Reference Works
Compiled in 1831, this book details the coverage and condition of parish registers in England & Wales.
A comprehensive guide to researching the history of buildings in the British Isles.
A service that provides advanced and custom surname maps for the British Isles and the US.
A dictionary of around 9,000 mottoes for British families who had right to bear arms.
Civil & Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction:
Guisborough is a considerable market-town, situated about four miles from the mouth of the river Tees, where there is a bay and harbour for ships.
There was formerly a priory here, which was the common burial place of the nobility of these parts, and its church, from the appearance of its ruins, must have been equal to any in England.
Guisborough consists chiefly of one main street, very broad, and many of the houses being built in a modern style, the place has a neat and pleasing appearance. The market is on Monday, and the fairs are well attended. Guisborough is remarkable for being the place where the first alum-works were erected in the latter part of the reign of Queen Elizabeth.
The town contains about 1800 inhabitants, and is a place of such antiquity, that Baxter supposes it to have been the Urbs Calurium of the Romans. It seems to be a fact by no means creditable to modern improvements, that this part of the country, and probably many others, as it is expressed in the Cottonian Manuscript, "hath been wonderfully inhabited more than it is now; for within the length of a few miles the lords following, have had their seats: at Kyldale Castle, the Percy’s, Earls of Northumberland; at Aton, Nevil, of Westmorland; at Wharlton Castle, the Lord Menell; at Skelton Castle, the Lord Somers; at Danby Castle, the Lord Latimer; at Harlsey Castle, at Wilton Castle, Sir Ralf Bulmer; at Mulgrave Castle, Sir Ralf ; at Ingleby, the Lord Eure. All these great personages dwelt together in a small circuite, and in the midst of them the Prior of Gysbrough, insomuch that the town, consisting of 500 householders, had no land, but lived all on the Abbey. But the Prior, it is added, kept a most pompous house. "
This Priory was founded, and most amply endowed, by Robert de Bruss, A. D. 1129. In 1375, Edward III. gave leave to the Prior and Canons, to fortify and embattle their convent. Only one superb arch remains of this once rich and magnificent building.— Topography of Great Britain, written: 1802-29 by George Alexander Cooke
GUISBOROUGH is a market and union town, a polling place for the Cleveland division of the Riding, and a parish, comprising the townships of Guisborough, Tocketts, Hutton Lowcross, Pinchingthorpe and Commondale.
The town stands nearly in the centre of the great division called Langbaurgh liberty, 244 miles from London, 49 north from York, 35 north-east from Richmond, 8 north-east from Stokesley, 17 north-east from Yarm, 7 south from Redcar, 9 south-east from Middlesbrough, in, the petty sessional division of Langbaurgh East, county court district of Stokesley, in the rural deanery of Middlesbrough, archdeaconry of Cleveland and diocese of York. The Guisborough branch of the Darlington section of the North Eastern railway was opened here 1 March, 1854, and the Cleveland branch railway from Guisborough to Loftus about 1861, since which the Saltburn extension to the Cleveland branch, and a continuation of the line from Loftus to Whitby have been opened.
The town, formerly governed by a Local Board from 1865, is now controlled by an Urban District Council of 12 members, formed under the provisions of the “Local Government Act, 1894,” the district comprising the township of Guisborough only; it consists principally of one long and broad street, lighted with gas and supplied with water from the reservoirs of the Chaloner Estates.
The church of St. Nicholas is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch under the tower, and an embattled western tower, containing a clock and 6 bells, which have been recast: the chancel and tower date from the end of the 15th century: the nave was rebuilt about 1780: in the church is a handsome tablet to Geo. Venables esq. of London, founder of the Providence school, who died April 12, 1813, and in the porch there stood, until 1904, the sides of a cenotaph of blue marble, formerly in the priory, and supposed to commemorate Robert Bruce, claimant of the Scottish crown, who was buried in the priory church in 1294; the sides are arcaded and adorned with armed figures, bearing the heraldic shields of the Bruces of Skelton and Annandale, and smaller figures in intervening arches; this cenotaph, the original upper slab of which had been used as an altar slab, was restored in 1907, and now stands in the south aisle of the church: here is also a brass, with quaint inscription, to Susanna Pickering, ob. September 22, 1641, and there are other memorials to Ann Langton, 1664; and General John Hale, and Mary (Chaloner), his wife, 1803—6: the east window was partly filled with fine ancient glass, which has been carefully preserved and reset: the stained window in the baptistery, inserted in 1911, is in memory of the late Lady Pease, d. 4 Nov. 1910. The church was restored, two new vestries and an organ chamber added during the period 1875—90, at a cost of £2,200, and during 1903—8 the chancel, tower and nave again underwent restoration, under the direction of Mr. Temple Moore, architect, of London, at a total cost of £7,000; there are 1,000 sittings. In Dec. 1912, a subsidence of the north-west end of the churchyard revealed a stone staircase leading to a vault, disclosing five coffins belonging to the Jackson family. The register dates from the year 1661. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £330, including 77 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1906 by the Rev. George Henry Cobham M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The tithe, amounting to £555, is appropriated to the Chaloner Estate and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1811, with 240 sittings, to which a new vestry and Sunday school were added in 1903—4. The Wesleyan chapel affords 500 sittings. The Primitive Methodist chapel, erected with Sunday school in 1907 at a cost of £4,400, will seat 610 persons. There are also a meeting house for the society of Friends and barracks for the salvation Army.
The Cemetery of 5 acres, laid out in 1871—3, at a cost of £4,700, was the gift of the late Admiral Thomas Chaloner C.B. (d. 1884), and in 1896 was enlarged by about 3 acres: it has two mortuary chapels, and is under the control of the Urban District Council, acting as a Burial Board.
The Town Hall is a substantial building of stone, erected in 1821 on the site of the old Tollbooth, and raised by an additional storey in 1870.
The Temperance Hall, in Chaloner street, opened in 1871, was erected at a cost of upwards of £2,000 on a site given by the late Admiral Chaloner C.B.
The Theatre Royal, situated in Northgate, is now used as an Armoury, Drill Hall and club room for the D Company of the 4th Territorial Force Battalion Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment).
The Mechanics’ Institute, Chaloner street, established in 1862, and enlarged in 1896, at a cost of about £1,000, contains a reading room and library of 1,500 volumes; it has also a billiard room with two good tables.
A general market is held every Saturday, and fairs for the hiring of servants on the last Tuesday in April and second Tuesday in November of each year.
An auction sale for cattle is held every alternate Tuesday, by the Cleveland Auction Mart Co. Limited.
Guisborough is situated in the midst of rich ironstone hills; the deposit ranges from 6 to 16 feet in thickness, and has been proved to range from 40 to 50 miles in length by about 20 in breadth. The entire Cleveland district of ironstone consists of three parts:—1st, Normanby, Eston and Upleatham; 2nd, Roseberry, Belmont, Skelton, Brotton and Lofthouse; 3rd, The Eske valley. The thick part of the beds yields 31 to 32 per cent, of iron and the thin part 26 to 28 per cent, of iron.
The first alum works set on foot in this county were established here by Sir Thomas Chaloner, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. Alum slate is a slaty rock, or rather a shale bed, 180 feet thick, abounding in this neighbourhood, but the works have been discontinued.
The Admiral Chaloner Hospital was established in 1869 in a building left in trust by the late Admiral Chaloner C.B. for men who might meet with accidents in the mines; each miner pays a small sum weekly; the present building was erected in 1873, and in 1901 was enlarged by the addition of a dining room for patients, and fitted with a bath, lavatory and heating apparatus, at a total cost of £1,000; it was again enlarged in 1911, when a receiving room was added; there are beds for 14 in-patients.
At a distance of 1 ½ miles from the town was a spa, slightly sulphuretted, said to be beneficial in diseases of the digestive organs; but in consequence of the continual washing down of the calcined debris of the alum shale bed, it is now entirely covered up.
Here was formerly a priory of Austin Canons, founded in 1119 by Robert de Brus, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary; the church was destroyed by fire 16th May, 1289, but was at once rebuilt; the principal remaining portion is the east end of the choir, a fine work of the Early Decorated period, with a magnificent central window, 60 feet high and 24 feet wide, still retaining fragments of its tracery, and flanking buttresses terminating in massive crocketed pinnacles; the total height to the apex of the gable is 98 feet; only small portions of the side walls are now left, but there are traces of the cellars, and considerable remains of the gatehouse, of Transition Norman date, with moulded arches on square shafts. The site was partially excavated by the late Admiral Chaloner C.B. and many interesting relics discovered; these, including two stone coffins, are preserved on the spot. The priory was surrendered in 1540 by Robert Pursglove, 24th and last prior, and suffragan bishop of Hull; he died 2nd May, 1579, and was buried in Tideswell church, Derbyshire, where there is a fine brass, with effigy. The revenues of the monastery were estimated at £700. The site was granted, 4 Edw. VI. (1550—1), to Sir Thomas Chaloner.
In the Priory gardens is a chestnut tree planted in the 16th century, and measuring 22 feet in girth, 100 in height and 140 yards in circumference of its branches.
Gisboro Hall, built in 1857, in the Domestic Gothic style, is the seat of Col. Richard Godolphin Walmesley Chaloner M.P., D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner: the manor court is held occasionally at the Town Hall. Captain Charles Staniforth Greenwood, of Swarcliffe Hall, near Ripley, has fire farms.
The area of the township is 7,027 acres of land, including about 4,000 of moorland and 7 of water; rateable value, £42,219. The population of the township and Urban District in 1911 was 7,061, including 7 officers and 129 inmates in the workhouse, and of the ecclesiastical parish, 7,551.
Petty sessions are held at the Town hall, Guisborough, every Tuesday at 10.30 a.m.; at the Town hall, Loftus, the second & fourth Friday & at the Court house, Redcar, the first & third Friday in each month at 11.30 a.m.The following townships are included in the Petty sessional division:-Brotton, Commondale, Danby, Easington, Guisborough, Hutton Lowcross Kilton, Kirkleatham, Liverton, Loftus, Marske, Moorsholm-cum-Garrick, Morton, Pinchingthorpe, Redcar, Saltburn-by the-Sea, Skelton, Skinningrove, Stanghow, Tocketts, Upleatham, Upsall, Westerdale & Wilton.
4th Battalion Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment) (D Co.), Northgate, Capt. Basil Jackson; Col.-Sergt. Walter George Christopher McFadyen, drill instructor.
Board day, every alternate Tuesday, at the Town hall, Guisborough, at 1 o’clock.
The union comprises the following places:-Brotton, Chatham, Commondale, Danby, Easington, Guisborough, Hutton Lowcross, Kilton, Kirkleatham, Liverton, Lofthouse, Marske, Moorsholm-cum-Gerrick, Morton, Newton-in-Cleveland, Pinchingthorpe, Redcar, Saltburn-by-the-sea, Skelton, Skinningrove, Stanghow, Tocketts, Upleatham, Upsall, Westerdale, Wilton. The area is 79,365 acres; rateable value at Michaelmas, 1912, £369,011; the population in 1911 was 52,805.
The Workhouse, in Northgate, is a plain but substantial building of stone, available for about 200 inmates; infirmary added in 1894, at a cost of £3,350.
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of services
St. Nicholas Church, Rev. George Henry Cobham M.A. rector; Rev. Arthur Edwin Twidle L.th, curate; 8 &10.30 a.m. & 2, 3 & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 7.45 a.m.; 7 p.m.
Congregational (vacant); 10.45 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Tue. 7.30 p.m.
Society of Friends, David E. Baker, elder; 10.30 am.
Primitive Methodist, Rev. Joseph Roxby; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Wed. 7.
Wesleyan Methodist (Guisborough & Redcar Circuit), Rev. Francis George Gatehouse; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Mon. 7.30 p.m.
Salvation Army, Fountain street, Miss Nellie Delderfield, captain; 11 a.m. & 3 & 6 p.m.
The Grammar school & Hospital of Jesus was founded, under letters patent of Queen Elizabeth, dated June 25, 1561, by Robert Pursglove, last prior of Guisborough, & afterward suffragan Bishop of Hull, the foundation consisting of two wardens, master, scholars & 12 poor persons, 6 men & 6 women, & by an instrument dated August 11, 1561, the founder appointed all these persons, who then formed a body corporate with a common seal, & he also framed statutes, 51 in number, for the government of the foundation. The benefactions to the almsfolk were increased in the 17th century by a bequest of Richard Lumley, clerk of Stainton, which was continued to the charity by its holders, Sir David Foulis bart. of Ingleby & William Sandford esq. of Upleatham; the house constituting this bequest was sold in November, 1875, & the amount invested in Consols. The charity was inspected & reported on by the Charity Commission in 1822, 1865, 1878 & 1882, & in July, 1881, the interesting MSS. belonging to the foundation were examined & reported on by Mr. J. Cordy-Jeaffreson, of the Historical MSS. Commission. By a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, framed 24 June, 1885, the payments & other benefits to the poor are reduced & provision made for their becoming out-pensioners; the school is to be a day school, & if the governors think fit, a boarding school; the old corporation is dissolved & a governing body appointed of 12 persons. The 12 pensioners now receive £20 a year each in weekly payments, with sheets & clothes. The Grammar school (founded, as previously stated) & now a secondary school, under the Board of Education, administered under a new scheme dated April 27th. 1910, was rebuilt in 1887—8 near the ruins of the priory, from designs by A. Waterhouse esq. R.A. at a cost of £5,000, the foundation stone being laid on the 4th of Nov. 1887, by the Marquess of Ripon K.G. lord-lieutenant of the North Riding; these comprise a head-inaster’s house, schoolroom, class-rooms, dormitories & offices, & attached is a playing field; the school will hold 90 boys, including boarders & has now (1912) about 70 boys, including boarders; there is a library & a museum. In 1898 a large schoolroom was added at a cost of £1,400, & in 1912 a gymnasium & laboratory at a cost of £2,000: there are five Pursglove entrance scholarships, in the form of exemption from tuition fees, awarded by examination from the Public elementary schools; and there are also three exhibitions, tenable for 3 years, to boys from Guisborough Council school: the Rev. Theodore Francis Hartley Berwick M.A. late scholar of St. Catharine’s, Cambridge, is headmaster.
Public Elementary schools
The schools are under the control of 6 local managers, appointed by the County Council, July, 1903, 53 Queen street, Coatham, correspondent; Chas. Cushen, Skelton-in-Cleveland, attendance officer.
Northgate (boys & infants), erected in 1879 & 1881. with house for master, at a cost of £5,068, for 432 boys & 235 infants; average attendance, 395 boys & 157 infants.
Providence (girls & infants), erected in 1879, at a cost of £7,560, with house for the master & mistress, enlarged in 1910, for 416 girls & 205 infants; average attendance, 412 girls & 177 infants.
Hutton Lowcross, erected in 1857, for 200 children; average attendance, 68.— Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire (1913)
Most Common Surnames in Guisborough