Wednesbury Genealogical Records

Wednesbury Birth & Baptism Records

England & Wales Birth Index (1837-2006)

An index to births registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of birth certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

Staffordshire Baptism Registers (1538-1900)

An index to 1,273,932 baptisms, linked to images of the original registers. These records will provide parents' names, residences, occupations and occasionally other details.

Staffordshire Birth Index (1837-2007)

A growing index of births registered in the county. Records include a reference to the sub-registration district, making it easier to order the correct certificate.

Staffordshire Baptism Transcripts (1538-1812)

Covering around 70 Staffordshire parishes, these records provide proof of parentage and often list abodes and occupations.

British Birth and Baptism Records (1400-2010)

A collection of indexes and transcripts of birth and baptism records that cover over 250 million people. Includes digital images of many records.

Wednesbury Marriage & Divorce Records

England & Wales Marriage Index (1837-2008)

An index to marriages registered throughout England & Wales. This is the only national marriage index that allows you to search by both spouse's names. Provides a reference to order copies of marriage certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

Staffordshire Marriage Registers (1538-1900)

An index to 638,203 marriages, linked to images of the original registers. These records will provide parents' names, residences, occupations, ages and other details.

Staffordshire Marriage Index (1837-2013)

A growing index of marriages registered in the county. Records include a reference to the sub-registration district, making it easier to order the correct certificate.

Staffordshire Banns Registers (1653-1900)

An index of 87,988 names occurring in registers recording intentions to marry. The index is connected to images of the original registers.

Vicar General’s Office Marriage Licences (1600-1679)

Abstracts of marriage licences granted by the Vicar-General in London. These licences could be used to marry in any church in the Province of Canterbury.

Wednesbury Death & Burial Records

England & Wales Death Index (1837-2006)

An index to deaths registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of death certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

St Bartholomew, Wednesbury Burial Records (1561-1977)

An index of burials recorded at St Bartholomew, Wednesbury_. The index includes the name of the deceased, the date of burial, age (where available) and occasionally other notes.

Staffordshire Burial Registers (1538-1900)

An index to 837,905 burials, linked to images of the original registers. These records will provide age, residence and occasionally other details.

Staffordshire Death Index (1837-2008)

A growing index of deaths registered in the county. Records include a reference to the sub-registration district, making it easier to order the correct certificate.

Staffordshire Burial Transcripts (1538-1812)

Covering around 70 Staffordshire parishes, these records essentially record deaths. The residence of the deceased is often given. Occasionally their age, occupation and names of relatives may be given.

Wednesbury Church Records

Wednesbury Parish Registers (1815-1955)

The primary source of documentation for baptisms, marriages and burials before 1837, though extremely useful to the present. Their records can assist tracing a family back numerous generations.

Staffordshire Parish Registers (1860-1936)

The parish registers of Staffordshire are a collection of books essentially documenting births, marriages and deaths. Their records can assist tracing a family as far back as 1860.

Staffordshire Past Track (1300-Present)

A searchable collection of documents, photographs, paintings and other images relating to the county of Staffordshire.

Staffordshire Church Photographs (1905-2003)

Mostly modern photographs of churches of all denominations in Staffordshire.

Staffordshire Parish Register Transcripts (1538-1812)

Registers of baptisms, marriages and burials from around 70 parishes in Staffordshire.

Wednesbury Census & Population Lists

England, Wales, IoM & Channel Islands 1911 Census (1911)

The 1911 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

Birmingham & District Voter Lists (1832-1955)

A collection of records listing those eligible to vote; comprised of electoral registers, burgess rolls, poll books, and absent voters lists. Digital images, searchable by a name index.

Staffordshire Lay Subsidy (1332-1333)

A tax on the county's wealthier residents, ordered by hundred and settlement.

Staffordshire Lay Subsidy (1327)

A tax on the county's wealthier residents, ordered by hundred and settlement.

1901 British Census (1901)

The 1901 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

Wednesbury Wills & Probate Records

England & Wales National Probate Calendar (1858-1966)

Searchable index and original images of over 12.5 million probates and administrations granted by civil registries. Entries usually include the testator's name, date of death, date of probate and registry. Names of relations may be given.

Lichfield and Coventry Diocese Probate Index (1650-1760)

An index to wills, administrations and inventories proved by the Diocese of Lichfield and Coventry. Copies of wills can be ordered or viewed at the record office in Lichfield.

Derbyshire Will Index (1858-1928)

An index to wills, proved by the Derby Probate Registry. Index includes name, residence and year of probate. Contains entries for Yorkshire, Cheshire, Lancashire, Staffordshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and other counties.

Prerogative Court of Canterbury Admon Index (1649-1660)

An index to estate administrations performed by the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. The index covers the southern two thirds of England & Wales, but may also contain entries for northerners.

Prerogative Court of Canterbury Admon Index (1581-1595)

An index to estate administrations performed by the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. The index covers the southern two thirds of England & Wales, but may also contain entries for northerners.

Newspapers Covering Wednesbury

Birmingham Daily Mail (1914-1918)

Regional news, notices of births, marriages and deaths, business notices, details on the proceedings of public institutions, adverts and a rich tapestry of other regional information from the Birmingham district. Every line of text from the newspaper can be searched and images of the original pages viewed.

Evening Despatch (1914-1918)

Digital images, searchable by text, of a local Birmingham newspaper.

Lichfield Mercury (1877-1950)

This fully searchable newspaper will provide a rich variety of information about the people and places of the Lichfield district. Includes family announcements.

Tamworth Herald (1870-1950)

A searchable newspaper providing a rich variety of information about the people and places of the Tamworth district. Includes obituaries and family announcements.

Birmingham Daily Gazette (1865-1889)

News, family announcements etc. from Birmingham, Warwickshire & Staffordshire.

Wednesbury Obituaries

iAnnounce Obituaries (2006-Present)

The UKs largest repository of obituaries, containing millions of searchable notices.

United Kingdom and Ireland Obituary Collection (1882-Present)

A growing collection currently containing over 425,000 abstracts of obituaries with reference to the location of the full obituary.

Quakers Annual Monitor (1847-1848)

A collection of 364 obituaries of Quakers from the British Isles. The volume was published in 1849 and includes obituaries of those who died in late 1847 through 1848.

Musgrave's Obituaries (1421-1800)

This transcribed and searchable work by Sir William Musgrave contains 10,000s of brief obituaries. The work is a reference point for other works containing information on an individual.

British Medical Journal (1849-Present)

A text index and digital images of all editions of a journal containing medical articles and obituaries of medical practitioners.

Wednesbury Cemeteries

Staffordshire Church Monuments (1300-1900)

Photographs and descriptions of Staffordshire's most illustrious church monuments, often featuring effigies, medieval inscriptions and heraldic devices.

Deceased Online (1629-Present)

Images of millions of pages from cemetery and crematoria registers, photographs of memorials, cemetery plans and more. Records can be search by a name index.

Billion Graves (1200-Present)

Photographs and transcriptions of millions of gravestones from cemeteries around the world.

Mausolea and Monuments (1500-Present)

Profiles of several hundred mausolea found in the British Isles.

Maritime Memorials (1588-1950)

Several thousand transcribed memorials remembering those connected with the nautical occupations.

Wednesbury Directories & Gazetteers

Almanack for Dudley (1884-1941)

A series of almanacks including a directory of residents, tradesmen & merchants, and much local information.

Manufacturing District Classified Directory (1853)

Classified directory of the manufacturing district fifteen miles around Birmingham, including Worcester & the Potteries. Does not include Birmingham.

Melville's Directory of Dudley and District (1852)

Contains details of private individuals, traders and advertisements for the Dudley area.

Wrightson's Triennial Directory of Birmingham (1839)

Includes an alphabetic list of residents and traders, a classified trade directory, and a list of manufacturers from towns surrounding the city.

Wrightson's Triennial Directory of Birmingham (1833)

Includes an alphabetic list of residents and traders, a classified trade directory, and a list of manufacturers from towns surrounding the city.

Birmingham & District Voter Lists (1832-1955)

A collection of records listing those eligible to vote; comprised of electoral registers, burgess rolls, poll books, and absent voters lists. Digital images, searchable by a name index.

Staffordshire Feet of Fines (1327-1547)

Abstracts of records that detail land conveyances.

Staffordshire Feet of Fines (1216-1272)

Abstracts of records that detail land conveyances.

Stafford Gaol Photograph Albums (1877-1916)

An name index to photographs of prisoners in Stafford Gaol photo albums.

Staffordshire Poor Law Admissions & Discharges (1836-1900)

An index to comings and going in Staffordshire's civil workhouses. The index contains: name, age or year of birth, occupation and original parish.

Wednesbury Taxation Records

Staffordshire Lay Subsidy (1332-1333)

A tax on the county's wealthier residents, ordered by hundred and settlement.

Staffordshire Lay Subsidy (1327)

A tax on the county's wealthier residents, ordered by hundred and settlement.

Tithe Apportionments (1836-1856)

An index to 11,000,000 parcels of land and property, connected to digital images of registers that record their owner, occupier, description, agricultural use, size and rateable value.

Land Tax Redemption (1798-1811)

This vital collection details almost 1.2 million properties eligible for land tax. Records include the name of the landowner, occupier, amount assessed and sometimes the name and/or description of the property. It is a useful starting point for locating relevant estate records and establishing the succession of tenancies and freehold. Most records cover 1798, but some extend up to 1811.

Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures (1710-1811)

An index linked to original images of registers recording apprenticeship indentures. Details are given on the trade and nature of apprenticeship. Many records list the parents of the apprentice.

Wednesbury Land & Property Records

Birmingham & District Voter Lists (1832-1955)

A collection of records listing those eligible to vote; comprised of electoral registers, burgess rolls, poll books, and absent voters lists. Digital images, searchable by a name index.

Staffordshire Feet of Fines (1327-1547)

Abstracts of records that detail land conveyances.

Staffordshire Feet of Fines (1216-1272)

Abstracts of records that detail land conveyances.

Tithe Apportionments (1836-1856)

An index to 11,000,000 parcels of land and property, connected to digital images of registers that record their owner, occupier, description, agricultural use, size and rateable value.

Land Tax Redemption (1798-1811)

This vital collection details almost 1.2 million properties eligible for land tax. Records include the name of the landowner, occupier, amount assessed and sometimes the name and/or description of the property. It is a useful starting point for locating relevant estate records and establishing the succession of tenancies and freehold. Most records cover 1798, but some extend up to 1811.

Wednesbury Occupation & Business Records

Staffordshire Past Track (1300-Present)

A searchable collection of documents, photographs, paintings and other images relating to the county of Staffordshire.

Staffordshire Police Force Registers (1842-1920)

An index to records detailing every member of Staffordshire's police force. Original records contain many details, such as physical description, age, date of birth, previous occupations and career.

Staffordshire Apprenticeship Records (1600-1900)

An index to a variety of records, particularly apprenticeship indentures issued by parish guardians. The index contains details on age, parish, occupation and master. Original documents will contain further details such as the name of the apprentice's father or guardian.

Staffordshire Photographers (1861-1940)

A directory of commercial photographers in Staffordshire.

Midlands Mines Index (1896)

Profiles of coal and metal mines in the Midlands region of England.

Wednesbury School & Education Records

Staffordshire Past Track (1300-Present)

A searchable collection of documents, photographs, paintings and other images relating to the county of Staffordshire.

Teacher's Registration Council Registers (1870-1948)

A name index linked to original images of registers recording the education and careers of teachers in England & Wales.

National School Admission & Log Books (1870-1914)

A name index connected to digital images of registers recording millions of children educated in schools operated by the National Society for Promoting Religious Education. Records contain a variety of information including genealogical details, education history, illnesses, exam result, fathers occupation and more.

Oxford University Alumni (1500-1886)

A name index linked to original images of short biographies for over 120,000 Oxford University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge University Alumni (1261-1900)

A transcript of a vast scholarly work briefly chronicling the heritage, education and careers of over 150,000 Cambridge University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Pedigrees & Family Trees Covering Wednesbury

Victoria County History: Staffordshire (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

Staffordshire Pedigrees (1000-1700)

Pedigrees of noble and gentry families from the county, including renderings of coats of arms.

British & Irish Royal & Noble Genealogies (491-1603)

Extensive and impeccably sourced genealogies for British, Irish & Manx royalty and nobility. Scroll down to 'British Isles' for relevant sections.

FamilySearch Community Trees (6000 BC-Present)

A searchable database of linked genealogies compiled from thousands of reputable and not-so-reputable sources. Contains many details on European gentry & nobility, but covers many countries outside Europe and people from all walks of life.

Visitation of England and Wales (1700-1899)

Over 600 pedigrees for English and Welsh families who had a right to bear a coat of arms.

Wednesbury Royalty, Nobility & Heraldry Records

Victoria County History: Staffordshire (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

Staffordshire Pedigrees (1000-1700)

Pedigrees of noble and gentry families from the county, including renderings of coats of arms.

Staffordshire Church Monuments (1300-1900)

Photographs and descriptions of Staffordshire's most illustrious church monuments, often featuring effigies, medieval inscriptions and heraldic devices.

British & Irish Royal & Noble Genealogies (491-1603)

Extensive and impeccably sourced genealogies for British, Irish & Manx royalty and nobility. Scroll down to 'British Isles' for relevant sections.

FamilySearch Community Trees (6000 BC-Present)

A searchable database of linked genealogies compiled from thousands of reputable and not-so-reputable sources. Contains many details on European gentry & nobility, but covers many countries outside Europe and people from all walks of life.

Wednesbury Military Records

South Staffordshire Home Guard (1940-1944)

A detailed history of the home guard during World War II.

Staffordshire Past Track (1300-Present)

A searchable collection of documents, photographs, paintings and other images relating to the county of Staffordshire.

Prisoners of War of British Army (1939-1945)

A searchable list of over 100,000 British Army POWs. Records contains details on the captured, their military career and where they were held prisoner.

British Prisoners of World War II (1939-1945)

Details on around 165,000 men serving in the British Army, Navy and Air Force who were held as prisoners during WWII.

British Army WWI Medal Rolls (1914-1920)

Index and original images of over 5 million medal index cards for British soldiers It can be searched by individual's name, Coprs, Unit and Regiment. Due to the loss of many WWI service records, this is the most complete source for British WWI soldiers

Wednesbury Immigration & Travel Records

Passenger Lists Leaving UK (1890-1960)

A name index connected to original images of passenger lists recording people travelling from Britain to destinations outside Europe. Records may detail a passenger's age or date of birth, residence, occupation, destination and more.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists (1878-1960)

A full index of passenger lists for vessels arriving in the UK linked to original images. Does not include lists from vessels sailing from European ports. Early entries can be brief, but later entries may include dates of births, occupations, home addresses and more. Useful for documenting immigration.

Alien Arrivals in England (1810-1869)

Details on over 600,000 non-British citizens arriving in England. Often includes age and professions. Useful for discerning the origin of immigrants.

17th Century British Emigrants to the U.S. (1600-1700)

Details on thousands of 17th century British immigrants to the U.S., detailing their origins and nature of their immigration.

Migration from North America to Britain & Ireland (1858-1870)

A list of over 40,000 passengers traveling from North America to the British Isles. Details of passengers may include: occupation, nationality, gender, age, martial status, class, destination, and details of the vessel they sailed on.

Wednesbury Histories & Books

Black County Image Gallery (1300-Present)

A large collection of images, comprising largely of photographs and paintings of people and places, but also including photographs of physical items and other images.

Chartism in the Black Country (1839-1848)

A history of the chartist movement in parts of Staffordshire and Worcestershire; a movement which attempted to widen the voting franchise. Includes the names of sympathisers.

The Staffordshire Views Collection (1800-1850)

A collection of over 3,000 watercolours, drawings, sketches, engravings and lithographs depicting scenes in Staffordshire.

A Survey of Staffordshire (1593-1600)

A topographical and historical survey of the county and its settlements.

Staffordshire Past Track (1300-Present)

A searchable collection of documents, photographs, paintings and other images relating to the county of Staffordshire.

Biographical Directories Covering Wednesbury

Who's Who in Staffordshire (1844-1930)

A searchable directory of biographies depicting the leading residents of Staffordshire. Contains details on family relations, education, careers, hobbies and associations.

Oxford University Alumni (1500-1886)

A name index linked to original images of short biographies for over 120,000 Oxford University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge University Alumni (1261-1900)

A transcript of a vast scholarly work briefly chronicling the heritage, education and careers of over 150,000 Cambridge University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Crockford's Clerical Directories (1868-1914)

Brief biographies of Anglican clergy in the UK.

The Concise Dictionary of National Biography (1654-1930)

A directory containing lengthy biographies of noted British figures. The work took over two decades to compile. Biographies can be searched by name and are linked to images of the original publication.

Wednesbury Maps

Staffordshire & Stoke Maps (1670-2000)

A large collection of maps, primarily depicting Stoke and its environs.

Maps of Staffordshire (1602-1905)

Digital images of maps covering the county.

Ordnance Survey 1:10 Maps (1840-1890)

Maps showing settlements, features and some buildings in mainland Britain.

Tithe Apportionments (1836-1856)

An index to 11,000,000 parcels of land and property, connected to digital images of registers that record their owner, occupier, description, agricultural use, size and rateable value.

Parish Maps of Britain (1832)

Maps of parishes in England, Scotland and Wales. They are useful in determining which parish records may be relevant to your research.

Wednesbury Reference Works

England Research Guide (1538-Present)

A beginner’s guide to researching ancestry in England.

Parish Register Abstract (1538-1812)

Compiled in 1831, this book details the coverage and condition of parish registers in England & Wales.

Building History Research Guide (1066-Present)

A comprehensive guide to researching the history of buildings in the British Isles.

Surname Origins (1790-1911)

A service that provides advanced and custom surname maps for the British Isles and the US.

British Family Mottoes (1189-Present)

A dictionary of around 9,000 mottoes for British families who had right to bear arms.

Wednesbury Information

Civil & Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction:

Historical Description

Wednesbury, or Wedgebury, in the Saxon tongue Weadbipig; a market-town, situated one hundred and twenty-four miles from London.

From a variety of circumstances this town appears to be not only very ancient but to have undergone great vicissitudes. At the conquest it was an ancient demesne of the crown. Adelfleda, governess of the Mercians, strongly fortified the castle, which then stood upon the hill, now called the Church, which very beautifully adorns its summit; but now nothing of the castle remains except a few traces of its foundation. The church is a very fine old Gothic structure, and from probable conjecture was built in the year 711, by Dud or Dudo, lord of Dudley, at which time he was lord of the manor of Wednesbury. There are also meeting-houses for presbyterians, quakers, and methodists. This place gave birth to the Pagets, ancestors to the present Marquis of Anglesea, who has a seat about ten miles from hence. A very old publication, met with some years ago, calls Birminghan "a small village near Wedgebury."

About sixty years ago, the walls on the inside of the church were ornamented with paintings, by some masterly pencil; and which might have continued many years to come, had not the sacrilegious hand of a common mason, with a white-washing brush, put a final end to their beauty. In the chancel there are several prebendal stalls, the carvings of which are of the most exquisite workmanship— Near to these are the monuments of several eminent families; under one lie the ashes of the ancestors of the present Lord Viscount Dudley and Ward, who has a beautiful seat at Himley, about six miles from hence; and under another, upon which is a very elegant Latin inscription, are the remains of Walter Harcourt, of the family of Lord Harcourt, of Nuneham, Oxfordshire, who died in the year 1636, as he was passing through Wednesbury.

This place is rendered famous for its coal, the best in the kingdom for smith’s work, on account of its extreme heat. It runs from three to fourteen yards in thickness, which makes it very valuable to its respective owners, some of whom clear immense sums from the sales of that article. It lies in different veins or stratas, each of which is particularized by the miners with the greatest accuracy: the following are the names of sixteen of the said stratas, viz. Dun-Dicks, Roof-floor, Top slipper, Lambs, Jays, Kitt’s, Benches, the Kernel, Bottom-slipper, Slip-Bat, Skips, Stone-Coal, Great-Patch, Springs, Slippers, and the Humphrys.

This place also produces that sort of iron ore, called Blond metal, used to make nails and horseshoes, and all sorts of heavy tools, as hammers, axes, &c. There are vessels of divers sorts made here, which are painted with a reddish sort of earth dug hereabouts, which they call slip.

The market is on Wednesday, and the town consisted, according to the late returns, of 1325 houses and 6471 inhabitants. Its principal manufactories are guns, coach-springs, coach-harness, iron axle-trees, saws, trowels, edge-tools, bridle-bits, stirrups, nails, hinges, wood-screws, and cast iron goods. Enamel paintings are also done here in the highest perfection and beauty. Here are several iron forges.

One of the collateral branches of the Birmingham Canal enters this parish, about half a mile, to some coal-mines and iron works. About two miles from the town are the very extensive iron-works of John Wilkinson, Esq. of Bradley Moor; and about the same distance, at Tipton, are the tar works of Lord Dundonald, and several other iron-works, forges, lime works, collieries, &c.

Topography of Great Britain, written: 1802-29 by George Alexander Cooke

Wednesbury, erected on a declivity; and on the summit the church, with its lofty spire, makes a very unusual and respectable appearance. This church is a beautiful Gothic edifice; the body and tower of which is coated with Parker's cement, but the chancel remains as before. Tradition says, that on this spot there was, in former times, a Saxon castle. Withinside the church there are numerous ancient monuments, and an inscription, signifying that William Hopkins, yeoman, Richard Hawkes, and Robert Carter, caused the chimes of this church to be made and set up, at their equal and proper cost and charges, A. D. 1635. The clock, which is represented to be a remarkable good one, has a pendulum upon an unusual construction, the rod being 14 yards in length, and the ball of it weighs 100 pounds.

Here are eight musical bells, the two trebles being fixed in 1558; the sixth has an inscription, "William Comberford, lord of this manor, gave this bell, 1623." On the seventh is, "Santa Bartholomew, ora pro nobis." And on the tenor is inscribed, "I will sound and resound to thee, O Lord, to call thy people to hear thy word." The churchyard is of considerable extent, and being in such an elevated situation, those who profess to delineate panoramas may here find ample, scope to display their abilities; for there is not only a view of the following churches, but the towns and villages wherein they are situated, are several of them under the eye of the spectator from this lofty eminence, viz. Walsall, Willenhall, Darlaston, Wolverhampton two churches, Bilstone, Sedgley, Dudley, two churches and the ruins of the castle, West-Bromwich, Tipton, Wednesfield, Brierly-hill, and Rushall; in addition to the above, by ascending the roof of the church, you command Birmingham and Aston, together with numerous engines that are at work in its vicinity; the whole when combined form such a rich and variegated scene as probably cannot be equalled in any other situation.

In the vicinity of Wednesbury there are numerous mines of coal, wherein great numbers of people are employed, whilst others pursue the different branches of gun-making; springs, steps, and other articles used by coach-makers, are also manufactured here, together with wood-screws, hinges, and, of late, apparatus for the gaslights.

Topography of Great Britain, written: 1802-29 by George Alexander Cooke

WEDNESBURY is a municipal and parliamentary borough, market town, parish and head of a petty sessional division, with stations on the Great Western and South Staffordshire section of the London and North Western railway, 21 miles south-south-east from Stafford, 5 south-east from Wolverhampton, 3 south-south-west from Walsall, 8 north-west from Birmingham, and 118 from London, in the Handsworth division of the county, hundred of South Offlow, West Bromwich union, Walsall county court district, rural deanery of Walsall, archdeaconry of Stafford and diocese of Lichfield. A branch of the Birmingham canal passes in the vicinity.

Wednesbury is a place of considerable antiquity; by the early English it was named “Wodensbeorg,” after the god Woden, and is popularly called “Wedgebury.” The town was incorporated July 10, 1886, and the corporate body consists of a mayor, 4 aldermen and 12 councillors, also acting as the Urban District Council. The borough 1st divided into four wards, viz.: King’s Hill, Town Hall, Market Place and Wood Green. A separate Commission of the Peace was granted to the borough, March 16, 1893.

By the “Representation of the People Act, 1867,” Wednesbury, with Tipton, Darlaston, and West Bromwich were constituted a parliamentary borough, returning one member, but under the provisions of the “Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885,” West Bromwich was made an independent borough, and now returns its own member.

The town is supplied with water by the South Staffordshire Waterworks Company.

An overhead electric tramway, the property of the South Staffordshire Tramway Co. connects this town with Walsall.

The parish church of St. Bartholomew, standing on the summit of a hill at the northern extremity of the town, and occupying what was once the site of the heathen temple of Woden, is a fine building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch, transepts and an embattled western tower of three stages, with pinnacles at the angles, and an octagonal spire, containing a clock and 10 bells: the original church is believed to have been erected in the reign of King John, or between 1080 and 1216, and afterwards belonged, until about 1535, to the Abbey of Halesowen; it was extensively repaired, or rebuilt, towards the end of the 15th century; partially restored in 1766; further repaired and enlarged by the erection of a north transept in 1827, at a cost of about £5,500; partially restored, and the spire raised 12 feet, in 1878, at a cost of about £3,500; and in 1885 the interior was entirely restored and reseated, the galleries taken down, the floor lowered to its original level, and the organ enlarged and rebuilt, at a cost of £2,824; in 1890 the chancel was rebuilt and extended at an expense of over £2,930, under the direction of Mr. Basil Champneys, architect; the font was presented by the late Rev. Isaac Clarkson in 1827; the organ, originally the gift of Benjamin Wright esq. of Birmingham, cost £500, but additions were made to it in 1869, at a further cost of £250, and in 1865 it was rebuilt and enlarged; the reredos of alabaster was presented in 1890 by the Houghton family, and the stained east window by Mrs. Richards, of Wood Green, two very fine specimens by C. E. Camp, in memory of the Handley and Naylor families: there are also several other stained windows, some of which are memorials 1 there is a monument with effigies to General Thomas Parkes, ob. 1602, and Elianor his wife, with 6 children: another, with two alabaster effigies, to Richard Parkes esq. 1618; and one with a life-sized bust, by P. Hollins, to the Rev. Isaac Clarkson, nearly thirty-five years vicar of Wednesbury (1829—64): there are slabs with incised effigies and inscriptions to Richard Jennyns, 1521, and Isabel his wife, and to John Cumberfort, gent. 1559, and Emma, his wife; and other memorials to Francis Wortley, of Wortley, Yorkshire, 1636; and the Rev. A. B. Haden B.A. vicar, 1782—1829: the eagle lectern is ancient, and of good design: there are sittings for 700 persons. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1569; marriages and burials, 1562. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £167, net yearly value £247, including 1 ½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and held since 1881 by the Rev. James Eckersley M.A. of St. Mary Hall, Oxon. rural dean of Walsall, and surrogate.

St. John’s is an ecclesiastical parish, formed June 3, 1844, under the Act 6 and 7 Vict, c, 37. The church, in the Lower High street, erected in 1845—6 at a total cost of £5,758, on a site given by the late Samuel Addison esq. is a building of stone in the Early English style, from designs by Messrs. Daukes and Hamilton, consisting of western chancel, clerestoried nave of six bays, aisles, north porch, and a southeastern tower with spire containing one bell: the West (chancel) window and nine others are stained, and were presented chiefly as memorials and include one erected by the congregation to the late Bishop Lonsdale; the tower clock was permanently illuminated in 1887 at a cost of £200, presented by Mr. Edward Smith, who also erected the fine east window in memory of his wife, d. 1891; the font was the gift of the architects: the church was renovated in 1883, and has 1,000 sittings, of which 500 are free. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £74, net yearly value £290, in the gift of Lady Emily Foley, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Francis Ratcliffe Harpham, of Merton College, Oxford.

St. Luke’s Mission church at New Town was built and consecrated in 1879—85, at a cost of £638, and has sittings for 150 persons.

St. James’s is an ecclesiastical parish, formed June 3, 1844. The church in St. James’s street, erected in 1847—8, at a cost (including site) of £3,305, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, vestry, south porch, and an embattled western tower 65 feet in height, with four pinnacles, and containing one bell: a chapel of ashlar stone from the Codsall quarries, in the Gothic style of the early 14th century, was added in 1887, at a cost of £1,300, as a memorial to the late Lieut.-Col. Bagnall; it contains an altar and piscina, and forms a north aisle to the chancel, to which it opens by an arcade of three arches: the chancel apse was built in 1865 as a memorial to Mrs. Twigg, the remaining portion being completed in memory of the Rev. Richard Twigg, a late rector; the lectern, of carved oak, is a memorial to Mrs. Graham, wife of the Rev. William Graham, a former rector; there are 835 sittings. The register dates from the year 1845. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £69, net yearly value £220, including 2 acres of glebe, with residence, erected in 1849—50 at a cost of £1,043, the gift of Mrs. John Nock Bagnall, of Shenstone Moss, Lichfield, and held since 1883 by the Rev. John Hopkin M.A. of St. John’s College, Cambridge.

St. Andrew’s Mission church, King’s hill, a chapel-of-ease to the parish church, was erected in 1894 at a cost of £1,800, and has 360 sittings.

The Catholic church, on Church hill, erected in 1874, and dedicated to “St. Mary, Help of Christians,” is of brick, with Box stone dressings, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, side chapels, nave, aisles, and a tower with spire: there are attached schools for 300 pupils, with a presbytery. The school chapel of St. Patrick in Portway road is served from St. Mary’s.

There are also Baptist, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, Congregational and Free Methodist chapels, and a place of worship for the Christian Brethren. The horse block in the High Bullen, from which John Wesley preached 45 sermons during his visits to this town, has been transferred for preservation to the trustees of Spring Head Wesleyan chapel.

The Cemetery, on the Walsall road, about half a mile from the town, consists of 12 acres of land, purchased in 1885 by the Local Board for £5,000, and consecrated in 1868; the mortuary chapels are situated on each side of an enclosed entrance porch, above which is a belfry with octagonal stone spire rising to the height of 56 feet, and containing one bell: the cemetery is under the control of the Corporation acting as a Burial Board.

The Town Hall, in the Holyhead road, erected in 1871—2, from designs by Messrs. Loxton Brothers, of Wednesbury, is a structure of brick, and will hold 1,000 persons: it has a gallery and large orchestra, with an organ, presented by Alex. Brogden esq. formerly M.P. for the borough, at a cost of 1,200 guineas: in 1891 various structural alterations and improvements were completed at a cost of £2,000, and entrance can now be gained from the interior to the new Art Gallery adjoining.

The Art Gallery, in Holyhead road, built in 1890—1 , at a total cost, including furnishing, of nearly £6,000, is a structure of red brick: the late Mrs. Edwin Richards, of The Limes, Wood Green, Wednesbury, bequeathed £2,000 towards the fund, with an additional £1,000 as an endowment: the north or “Richards” gallery occupies the whole width of the building, and contains the collection bequeathed by Mrs. Richards, and there are east and west galleries: on the ground floor is a museum, class rooms, and secretary’s office; on either side of the entrance doorway are heads of Sir Christopher Wren, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Flaxman and Sir Isaac Newton, representing architecture, painting, sculpture and science.

The Free Library, established in 1878, in Walsall street, is a building in the French Gothic style, and consists of reading room, lending and reference library, lecture room and chemical laboratory; the library now (1895) contains about 10,200 volumes.

The Drill Hall, in Bridge street, erected in 1893 at a cost of about £3,000, is the head quarters of the Wednesbury Detachment of the 2nd V.B. South Staffordshire Regiment; the hall itself is 87 feet by 44 feet, with a gallery at one end, and there is an armoury and officers’ and men’s quarters, besides the sergeant-instructor’s house.

The Public Baths adjoin the Free Library, and form a single block containing two swimming baths and ten private baths.

A subscription library was formed in is 1899.

The principal hotels are the “Anchor,” in the Holyhead road, and the “White Horse,” Bridge street.

There are three banks, the Metropolitan Bank (of England and Wales) Limited, in Bridge street; the London and Midland Bank Limited, Market place; and Lloyds Bank Limited, Holyhead road.

The market is held on Friday, and is well supplied with provisions and vegetables: there is also a market on Saturday. Fairs are held on May 6th and August 3rd, chiefly for pedlery.

The manufactures are numerous and important, the principal being rails, boiler plates, bar iron, Bessemer steel, Siemens-Martin steel, railway carriage axles, general ironwork for railways, and gas, water and steam tubes, spades, shovels and edge tools, gunlocks, coach springs, hinges, bolts, nuts, and wrought iron of every description: there are also stoneware potteries: an abundance of coal is found here, as well as iron ore, limestone, clay (both potters’ and brick), and a kind of coal which, from the intense heat it gives out, is admirably adapted for the forge.

The Liberal Club, Church street, founded in 1875 and located in the present premises since 1892, includes reading, recreation, smoking and billiard rooms, all appropriately fitted up; there are now (1895) about 400 members.

The Conservative Club, Walsall street, was founded in 1886; the club house has every convenience of a social club, and there are now (1895) about 500 members.

A branch of the Young Men’s Christian Association was established in 1891, in Russell street, but will shortly be transferred to premises in Lower High street; there are now (1895) about 75 members.

There are Male and Female Mutual Friendly Societies in connection with St. John’s numbering nearly 900 members, who subscribe over £800 yearly.

The charities are as follows:-Joseph Hopkins’, £203, left in 1681; Addison’s £64 5s. 1d.; Thomas Watkins’, £17 13s. left in 1826; Crother’s, £9 3s. 10d. in 1829; Shelfield, £6; Thomas Griffiths’, £3 3s. 3d. in 1848; Thos. Rowlinson’s £2 19s. 3d. in 1821; Tibbitt’s, £2 12s. 4d. in 1815; William Holden’s, £2; and Samuel Addison’s for St. John’s £32 2S. 6d. yearly value, in 1849.

Brunswick Park, Wood Green, the site of which was purchased by the Corporation, at a cost of £3,000, was opened by the Mayor 23rd June, 1887; it comprises 21 acres, including a small lake, and has been laid out at a further cost of £3,000.

A Court leet is held here annually in November.

Lady Emily Foley, of Stoke Edith Park, Herefordshire, and Lady Scott, are jointly ladies of the manor. The principal landowners are Sir Horace St. Paul bart. D.L., J.P. of The Ellowes, Dudley; Wilson Lloyd esq. F.R.G.S., J.P. of Park Lane House; The Patent Shaft and Axletree Co. Limited; Alfred Elwell esq. J.P. and Messrs. Hunt.

The area is 2,130 acres; rateable value, £87,350. The population of the parish in 1891 was 25,347, of which 6,960 are in St. Bartholomew; 5,270 in St. James, 4,948 in St. John’s, and 4,320 in St. Paul's. The population of the Municipal wards in 1891 was:-King’s Hill, 6,799; Market, 6,165; Town Hall, 7,954 and Wood Green, 4,429; total 25,347; the population of the parliamentary borough in 1891 was 69,083.

The Delves is an agricultural district, 3 miles north-east of Wednesbury, and contains a population of about 200.

Petty Sessions are held at the Police court every alternate tuesday at 11 a.m. The parishes of Wednesbury, Tipton & Darlaston are included in the division.

Volunteers

2nd Volunteer Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment (G & H Cos.), Drill hall, Bridge street.

Places of Worship, with times of Services

St. Bartholomew’s Church, Church hill, Rev. James. Eckersley M.A. vicar; Rev. John Shelton & Rev. George Edmund Britten B.A. curates; sundays, 8 & 10.45 a.m. & 3.30 & 6.30 p.m.; Mon. wed. & Fri. 7 p.m. holy days 10 a.m.

St. John’s Church, Lower High street, Rev. Francis Ratcliffe Harpham M.A. rector; 8 & 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7 p.m. & on all saints’ days. A children’s service is held occasionally at 2.30 p.m. on sundays.

St. Andrew’s Mission Church, King’s hill (chapel of ease to St. Bartholomew), Rev. John Shelton, curate; 3 & 6.30 p.m.; tues. 7.30 p.m.

St. James’ Church, St. James’ street, Rev. John Hopkin M.A. rector; Revs. William Robert Mounsey & Charles Henry Platt M.A. curates; 7.30, 8.30 & 10.30 a.m. & 2.30 & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 7.30 a.m., 9.30a.m. & 7.15 p.m.

St. Paul’s Church, Wood Green, Rev. George Tuthiil, vicar; Rev. Henry Silvester B.A. curate; 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.15 p.m.; holy days, 12.0 a.m. & 7.15 p.m.

The Delves Church, The Delves, served by the clergy of St. Paul’s; 3 p.m.

St. Luke’s Mission, New Town, served from St. Paul’s; 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; tues. 7.30 p.m.

St. Mary, Catholic Church, Church hill, Rev. Frederick W. Keating, priest; 8 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 7.30 & 8 a.m.; wed. 8 p.m.

Baptist, Holyhead road, Rev. William Williams; 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.

Christian Brethren, Welcroft street; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7.30 p.m.

Congregational, Russell street, Rev. Joseph Blackburn; 10.45 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7.30 p.m.

Plymouth Brethren, Temperance Hall, Stafford street, 3 & 6 p.m.

Primitive Methodist, Camp street; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Thur. 7 p.m.

Primitive Methodist, King’s hill; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7 p.m.

Primitive Methodist, Vicarage; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; tues. 7 p.m.

Primitive Methodist, Lea brook; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.: tues. 7.30 p.m.

United Methodist Free Church, Falling's heath; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.

United Methodist Free Church, Riddings lane; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed. 7.30 p.m.

Wesleyan, Springhead; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; wed. 7 p.m.

Wesleyan, King’s hill, 10.30 a.m. & 9 p.m.; wed. 7 p.m.

Wesleyan, Holyhead rd.; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Thur. 7 p.m.

Wesleyan, Mesty Croft; 6 p.m.

Schools

A School Board of 9 members was formed March 15, 1871; Edward Foster Knowles, Wolseley house, Walsall road, clerk to the Board; John G. Bullock, Walsall road, King’s hill, school board officer; the Board meet at the School Board Offices, Holyhead Road last Wednesday in each month at 6 p.m.

Higher Grade, Walsall road, for 135 boys; average attendance 89.

Board School, Lower High street, erected in 1880 & enlarged in 1886, for 272 boys, 192 girls & 256 infants; average attendance, 248 boys, 200 girls & 253 infants.

Board School, King’s hill, erected in 1887 for 317 boys, 209 girls & 207 infants; average attendance, 245 boys, 163 girls & 215 infants.

Board (infants’), New town, erected in 1880 & enlarged in 1891, for 336 children; average attendance, 272.

St. Andrew’s National (mixed & infants’), King’s hill, for 150 children; average attendance, 88 boys & girls & 90 infants.

St. Bartholomew’s National, Church hill, erected in 1829, for 179 boys, 140 girls & 135 infants, 172 boys, 151 girls & 162 infants.

St. James’ National, St. James’s street, erected in 1844—5, at a cost of £1,126, for 228 boys, 306 girls & 391 infants; average attendance, 228 boys, 208 girls & 423 infants.

St. John’s National, Russell street, built in 1848—9, at a cost of £1,158, for 275 boys, 163 girls & 258 infants; average attendance, 84 boys, 93 girls & 135 infants.

St. Mary’s (Catholic) (mixed), Church hill, erected in 1871, for 255 children; average attendance, 143.

St. Mary’s (Catholic) (infants’), Portway road, for 400 children; average attendance, 141.

Wesleyan (mixed & infants’), Springhead, built in 1847 & enlarged in 1886 for 320 boys & girls & 295 infants; average attendance, 273 mixed & 111 infants.

Wesleyan (mixed), Holyhead road, built in 1867, for 314 children; average attendance, 273; (infants’), built in 1855, for 235 children; average attendance, 123.

Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire (1896)

Surnames Found in Wednesbury

RankSurnameNo. of People% of Population
1Smith4771.94
2Jones4071.65
3Taylor2050.83
4Price1750.71
5Hill1490.60
6Griffiths1430.58
7Brown1400.57
8Mason1370.56
9Wood1360.55
10Williams1280.52
11Lloyd1280.52
12Butler1240.50
13Fellows1240.50
14Edwards1220.49
15Evans1210.49
16Jackson1200.49
17Perry1190.48
18Wright1180.48
19Davis1140.46
20Wilson1130.46
21Roberts1110.45
22Whitehouse1110.45
23Martin1080.44
24Partridge1010.41
25Robinson980.40
26Hall980.40
27Davies950.39
28Cooper940.38
29Slater940.38
30Turner930.38
31Johnson920.37
32Wilkes910.37
33Kendrick910.37
34Ward880.36
35Holland880.36
36Parker870.35
37Harris850.34
38Harrison850.34
39Cartwright820.33
40Page780.32
41Aston780.32
42Foster770.31
43Lowe760.31
44Thomas730.30
45Hodson720.29
46Hughes690.28
47James680.28
48Allen680.28
49Horton680.28
50Longmore680.28
51Powell670.27
52Harper670.27
53Yates660.27
54Green650.26
55Richards650.26
56Rogers650.26
57Spittle650.26
58Thompson630.26
59Morgan620.25
60Lewis610.25
61Baker610.25
62Moore600.24
63Bird600.24
64Bates600.24
65Moseley600.24
66Fisher590.24
67Bullock590.24
68Timmins590.24
69Bennett580.24
70Carter570.23
71Berry570.23
72Lee540.22
73Bailey530.22
74Danks530.22
75Cox520.21
76Morris510.21
77Ellis510.21
78Russell510.21
79Owen510.21
80Harvey510.21
81Watts510.21
82Walker500.20
83Lawton500.20
84Skidmore500.20
85Burns490.20
86Small490.20
87Humphries490.20
88Webb480.19
89Mills480.19
90Lees480.19
91Pitt480.19
92Lester480.19
93Adams470.19
94Ball470.19
95Griffith470.19
96Haywood470.19
97Palmer460.19
98Riley460.19
99Wilks460.19
100Severn460.19