Shropshire Genealogical Records

Shropshire Birth & Baptism Records

England & Wales Birth Index (1837-2006)

An index to births registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of birth certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

Shropshire Baptisms (1538-1900)

A searchable database of 1,159,976 records, linked to original images of baptism registers. The records provide proof of parentage, occupations, residence and other details.

Shropshire Baptism Transcripts (1538-1813)

Transcripts of baptism registers for over 100 parishes in Shropshire.

Shropshire Baptism Transcripts (1538-1812)

Covering around 100 Shropshire parishes, these records provide proof of parentage and often list abodes and occupations.

Shropshire Baptism Transcripts (1473-1880)

Transcripts of Anglican baptism registers from over 90 churches in Shropshire.

Shropshire Marriage & Divorce Records

England & Wales Marriage Index (1837-2008)

An index to marriages registered throughout England & Wales. This is the only national marriage index that allows you to search by both spouse's names. Provides a reference to order copies of marriage certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

Shropshire Marriage Index (1837-1935)

An index to Marriages registered in Shropshire. This index lists sub-registration district, which helps to narrow down your search.

Shropshire Banns Registers (1760-1900)

A searchable database of 57,849 records detailing intentions to marry. Includes digital images of the records and may contain information not included in marriage registers.

Shropshire Marriages (1538-1900)

A searchable database of 520,415 records, linked to original images of marriage registers. The records may include fathers' names, age, residence, occupations and more.

Shropshire Marriage Transcripts (1538-1813)

Transcripts of marriage registers for over 100 parishes in Shropshire.

Shropshire Death & Burial Records

England & Wales Death Index (1837-2006)

An index to deaths registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of death certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

Shropshire Burials (1538-1900)

A searchable database of 800,793 records, linked to original images of burial registers. The records may include date of burial and/or death, residence, age and other details.

Shropshire Burial Transcripts (1538-1813)

Transcripts of burial registers for over 100 parishes in Shropshire.

Shropshire Burial Transcripts (1538-1812)

Covering around 100 Shropshire parishes, these records essentially record deaths. The residence of the deceased is often given. Occasionally their age, occupation and names of relatives may be given.

Shropshire Burial Transcripts (1421-1902)

Transcripts of Anglican burial registers from over 90 churches in Shropshire.

Shropshire Church Records

Shropshire Parish Registers (1538-1900)

A facility to browse digital images of registers recording births/baptisms, marriages and deaths/burials. To search these register by a name index, use the links in the above sections.

Shropshire Parish Register Transcripts (1538-1813)

Transcripts of baptism, marriage and burial registers for over 100 parishes in Shropshire.

Shropshire Parish Register Transcripts (1538-1812)

Registers of baptisms, marriages and burials from around 100 parishes in Shropshire.

Shropshire Parish Register Transcripts (1421-1902)

Transcripts of Anglican parish registers from over 90 churches in Shropshire.

Shropshire Churches (2010-Present)

Descriptions and photographs of Shropshire Anglican and other denominational churches. Also provides details for those wishing to visit the church.

Shropshire Census & Population Lists

England, Wales, IoM & Channel Islands 1911 Census (1911)

The 1911 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

1901 British Census (1901)

The 1901 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

1891 British Census (1891)

The 1891 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

1881 British Census (1881)

The 1881 census provides details on an individual's age, residence and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows for searches on multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

British Phone Books (1880-1984)

Directories containing over 275,000,000 entries. As well as name, address and phone number, occupations are often recorded. A useful census substitute.

Shropshire Wills & Probate Records

England & Wales National Probate Calendar (1858-1966)

Searchable index and original images of over 12.5 million probates and administrations granted by civil registries. Entries usually include the testator's name, date of death, date of probate and registry. Names of relations may be given.

Prerogative Court of Canterbury Admon Index (1649-1660)

An index to estate administrations performed by the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. The index covers the southern two thirds of England & Wales, but may also contain entries for northerners.

Prerogative Court of Canterbury Admon Index (1581-1595)

An index to estate administrations performed by the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. The index covers the southern two thirds of England & Wales, but may also contain entries for northerners.

Prerogative Court of Canterbury Admon Index (1581-1619)

An index to estate administrations performed by the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. The index covers the southern two thirds of England & Wales, but may also contain entries for northerners.

Prerogative Court of Canterbury Admon Index (1559-1571)

An index to estate administrations performed by the Prerogative Court of Canterbury. The index covers the southern two thirds of England & Wales, but may also contain entries for northerners.

Newspapers Covering Shropshire

Cardiff Times (1858-1910)

A Welsh newspaper that circulated throughout most of Wales and The Marches. Editions can be searched and images of pages viewed.

Salopian Journal (1835-1862)

A searchable newspaper providing a rich variety of information about the people and places of the Shropshire district. Includes obituaries and family announcements.

The Salopian Journal (1810-1831)

A great run, but with gaps for some years. This paper covers the county of Shropshire and its borders. Original images, searchable by an OCR index.

The Daily Herald (1926)

A London newspaper that later became The Sun.

Pall Mall Gazette (1865-1900)

A gentleman's magazine published in London, but covering news from all England, Wales and further afield.

Shropshire Obituaries

iAnnounce Obituaries (2006-Present)

The UKs largest repository of obituaries, containing millions of searchable notices.

United Kingdom and Ireland Obituary Collection (1882-Present)

A growing collection currently containing over 425,000 abstracts of obituaries with reference to the location of the full obituary.

Quakers Annual Monitor (1847-1848)

A collection of 364 obituaries of Quakers from the British Isles. The volume was published in 1849 and includes obituaries of those who died in late 1847 through 1848.

Musgrave's Obituaries (1421-1800)

This transcribed and searchable work by Sir William Musgrave contains 10,000s of brief obituaries. The work is a reference point for other works containing information on an individual.

British Medical Journal (1849-Present)

A text index and digital images of all editions of a journal containing medical articles and obituaries of medical practitioners.

Shropshire Cemeteries

Shropshire Church Monuments (1300-1900)

Photographs and descriptions of Shropshire's most illustrious church monuments, often featuring effigies, medieval inscriptions and heraldic devices.

Deceased Online (1629-Present)

Images of millions of pages from cemetery and crematoria registers, photographs of memorials, cemetery plans and more. Records can be search by a name index.

Billion Graves (1200-Present)

Photographs and transcriptions of millions of gravestones from cemeteries around the world.

Mausolea and Monuments (1500-Present)

Profiles of several hundred mausolea found in the British Isles.

Maritime Memorials (1588-1950)

Several thousand transcribed memorials remembering those connected with the nautical occupations.

Shropshire Directories & Gazetteers

Kelly's Directory of Shropshire (1934)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key contemporary and historical facts. Each place has a list of residents and businesses. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions.

Kelly's Directory of Shropshire (1917)

A directory of settlements in Shropshire detailing their history, agriculture, topography, economy and leading commercial, professional and private residents.

Kelly's Directory of Shropshire (1913)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key historical and contemporary facts. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions. Also contains a list of residents and businesses for each place.

Kelly's Directory of Shropshire (1909)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key historical and contemporary facts. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions. Also contains a list of residents and businesses for each place.

Nooks and Corners of Shropshire (1899)

Details of a travel through Shropshire, describing towns, monuments and other areas of interest. Contains sketches of buildings, views, interiors etc.

Abstracts of Quarter Sessions Rolls for Shropshire (1696-1800)

A searchable transcript of Shropshire legal records. They include matters relating to militias, alcohol, agriculture, coroners' inquests and much more.

Shropshire Eyre Roll of 1256 (1256)

Transcriptions of pleas brought before a court. They largely concern land disputes.

Act Books of the Archbishops of Canterbury (1663-1859)

An index to names and places mentioned in act books of the Province of Canterbury. It records various licences and conferments, such as marriage and physician licences.

Shropshire Eyre Roll of 1203 (1203)

Translations of pleas brought before a court. They largely concern land disputes.

Home Office Prison Calendars (1868-1929)

Records of over 300,000 prisoners held by quarter sessions in England & Wales. Records may contain age, occupation, criminal history, offence and trial proceedings.

Shropshire Taxation Records

Land Tax Redemption (1798-1811)

This vital collection details almost 1.2 million properties eligible for land tax. Records include the name of the landowner, occupier, amount assessed and sometimes the name and/or description of the property. It is a useful starting point for locating relevant estate records and establishing the succession of tenancies and freehold. Most records cover 1798, but some extend up to 1811.

Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures (1710-1811)

An index linked to original images of registers recording apprenticeship indentures. Details are given on the trade and nature of apprenticeship. Many records list the parents of the apprentice.

Red Book of the Exchequer (1066-1230)

A compilation of records from the Court of the Exchequer primarily dealing with taxes and land. These records are in Latin.

Index to Death Duty Registers (1796-1903)

An index to wills and administrations that incurred a death duty tax. The index can be used to order documents that give a brief abstract of the will and details on the duty. It can be used as a make-shift probate index.

Testa De Nevill (1198-1251)

An account of knights' fees and serjeanties in the reigns of Henry the Third and Edward the First.

Shropshire Land & Property Records

Eyton's Antiquities of Shropshire (1085-1299)

A sprawling work detailing Shropshire's early historical records. It is particularly useful for the study of medieval Shropshire families.

Land Tax Redemption (1798-1811)

This vital collection details almost 1.2 million properties eligible for land tax. Records include the name of the landowner, occupier, amount assessed and sometimes the name and/or description of the property. It is a useful starting point for locating relevant estate records and establishing the succession of tenancies and freehold. Most records cover 1798, but some extend up to 1811.

UK Poll Books and Electoral Rolls (1538-1893)

Poll books record the names of voters and the direction of their vote. Until 1872 only landholders could vote, so not everyone will be listed. Useful for discerning an ancestor's political leanings and landholdings. The collection is supplemented with other records relating to the vote.

Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem (1236-1291)

Abstracts of records detailing the estates and families of deceased tenants from the reigns of Henry III and Edward I.

Red Book of the Exchequer (1066-1230)

A compilation of records from the Court of the Exchequer primarily dealing with taxes and land. These records are in Latin.

Shropshire Occupation & Business Records

Midlands Mines Index (1896)

Profiles of coal and metal mines in the Midlands region of England.

Lost Pubs of Shropshire (1750-Present)

Short histories of former public houses, with photographs and lists of owners or operators.

Teacher's Registration Council Registers (1870-1948)

A name index linked to original images of registers recording the education and careers of teachers in England & Wales.

UK Medical Registers (1859-1959)

Books listing doctors who were licensed to operate in Britain and abroad. Contains doctor's residencies, qualification and date of registration.

Railway Employment Records (1833-1963)

A rich collection of records documenting those who worked for railway companies that were later absorbed by the government. Records include: staff registers, station transfers, pensions, accident records, apprentice records, caution books, and memos. Records may include date of birth, date of death and name of father.

Shropshire School & Education Records

Teacher's Registration Council Registers (1870-1948)

A name index linked to original images of registers recording the education and careers of teachers in England & Wales.

Oxford University Alumni (1500-1886)

A name index linked to original images of short biographies for over 120,000 Oxford University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge University Alumni (1261-1900)

A transcript of a vast scholarly work briefly chronicling the heritage, education and careers of over 150,000 Cambridge University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge Alumni Database (1198-1910)

A searchable database containing over 90,000 note-form biographies for students of Cambridge University.

Dissenting Academy Database (1660-1860)

Histories of schools operated by non-conformist clergy.

Pedigrees & Family Trees Covering Shropshire

Victoria County History: Shropshire (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

British & Irish Royal & Noble Genealogies (491-1603)

Extensive and impeccably sourced genealogies for British, Irish & Manx royalty and nobility. Scroll down to 'British Isles' for relevant sections.

FamilySearch Community Trees (6000 BC-Present)

A searchable database of linked genealogies compiled from thousands of reputable and not-so-reputable sources. Contains many details on European gentry & nobility, but covers many countries outside Europe and people from all walks of life.

Visitation of England and Wales (1700-1899)

Over 600 pedigrees for English and Welsh families who had a right to bear a coat of arms.

Ancestry Member Family Trees (6000 BC-Present)

A compilation of lineage-linked family trees submitted by Ancestry users. The database contains over 2 billion individuals and is searchable by numerous metrics.

Shropshire Royalty, Nobility & Heraldry Records

Victoria County History: Shropshire (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

Eyton's Antiquities of Shropshire (1085-1299)

A sprawling work detailing Shropshire's early historical records. It is particularly useful for the study of medieval Shropshire families.

Shropshire Church Monuments (1300-1900)

Photographs and descriptions of Shropshire's most illustrious church monuments, often featuring effigies, medieval inscriptions and heraldic devices.

British & Irish Royal & Noble Genealogies (491-1603)

Extensive and impeccably sourced genealogies for British, Irish & Manx royalty and nobility. Scroll down to 'British Isles' for relevant sections.

FamilySearch Community Trees (6000 BC-Present)

A searchable database of linked genealogies compiled from thousands of reputable and not-so-reputable sources. Contains many details on European gentry & nobility, but covers many countries outside Europe and people from all walks of life.

Shropshire Military Records

Shropshire Militia Buried at Yarmouth (1804)

The names of Shropshire militia men who were buried in Great Yarmouth.

Prisoners of War of British Army (1939-1945)

A searchable list of over 100,000 British Army POWs. Records contains details on the captured, their military career and where they were held prisoner.

British Prisoners of World War II (1939-1945)

Details on around 165,000 men serving in the British Army, Navy and Air Force who were held as prisoners during WWII.

British Army WWI Medal Rolls (1914-1920)

Index and original images of over 5 million medal index cards for British soldiers It can be searched by individual's name, Coprs, Unit and Regiment. Due to the loss of many WWI service records, this is the most complete source for British WWI soldiers

British Army WWI Service Records (1914-1920)

This rich collection contains contains records for 1.9 million non-commissioned officers and other ranks who fought in WWI. Due to bomb damage in WWI, around 60% of service records were lost. Documents cover: enlistment, medical status, injuries, conduct, awards and discharge. A great deal of genealogical and biographical documentation can be found in these documents, including details on entire families, physical descriptions and place of birth.

Shropshire Immigration & Travel Records

Passenger Lists Leaving UK (1890-1960)

A name index connected to original images of passenger lists recording people travelling from Britain to destinations outside Europe. Records may detail a passenger's age or date of birth, residence, occupation, destination and more.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists (1878-1960)

A full index of passenger lists for vessels arriving in the UK linked to original images. Does not include lists from vessels sailing from European ports. Early entries can be brief, but later entries may include dates of births, occupations, home addresses and more. Useful for documenting immigration.

Alien Arrivals in England (1810-1869)

Details on over 600,000 non-British citizens arriving in England. Often includes age and professions. Useful for discerning the origin of immigrants.

17th Century British Emigrants to the U.S. (1600-1700)

Details on thousands of 17th century British immigrants to the U.S., detailing their origins and nature of their immigration.

Migration from North America to Britain & Ireland (1858-1870)

A list of over 40,000 passengers traveling from North America to the British Isles. Details of passengers may include: occupation, nationality, gender, age, martial status, class, destination, and details of the vessel they sailed on.

Shropshire Histories & Books

Nooks and Corners of Shropshire (1899)

Details of a travel through Shropshire, describing towns, monuments and other areas of interest. Contains sketches of buildings, views, interiors etc.

Victoria County History: Shropshire (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

Eyton's Antiquities of Shropshire (1085-1299)

A sprawling work detailing Shropshire's early historical records. It is particularly useful for the study of medieval Shropshire families.

Shropshire Church Photographs (1890-Present)

Photographs and images of churches in Shropshire.

Shropshire Churches (2010-Present)

Descriptions and photographs of Shropshire Anglican and other denominational churches. Also provides details for those wishing to visit the church.

Biographical Directories Covering Shropshire

Oxford University Alumni (1500-1886)

A name index linked to original images of short biographies for over 120,000 Oxford University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge University Alumni (1261-1900)

A transcript of a vast scholarly work briefly chronicling the heritage, education and careers of over 150,000 Cambridge University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Crockford's Clerical Directories (1868-1914)

Brief biographies of Anglican clergy in the UK.

The Concise Dictionary of National Biography (1654-1930)

A directory containing lengthy biographies of noted British figures. The work took over two decades to compile. Biographies can be searched by name and are linked to images of the original publication.

Church of England Clergy Database (1500-1835)

A database of CoE clergy, giving details of their education of service. Contains references to source documents. Also contains profiles of various church institutions.

Shropshire Maps

Maps of Shropshire (1600-1900)

Digital images of maps covering the county.

Ordnance Survey 1:10 Maps (1840-1890)

Maps showing settlements, features and some buildings in mainland Britain.

A Vision of Britain (1190-Present)

A sprawling website setting out and describing the historical divisions of Britain. Also contains countless maps of various sorts. Covers the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man & has fleeting details of other localities.

Ordnance Survey One-inch to the Mile Maps (1945-1947)

High-quality digital reproductions of maps plotting, settlements, roads, natural features and other features in England & Wales.

Speed's Maps of Britain (1612)

County and national maps covering the British Isles, extracted from John Speed's landmark work, Theatre of the Empire of Great Britain.

Shropshire Reference Works

England Research Guide (1538-Present)

A beginner’s guide to researching ancestry in England.

Parish Register Abstract (1538-1812)

Compiled in 1831, this book details the coverage and condition of parish registers in England & Wales.

Building History Research Guide (1066-Present)

A comprehensive guide to researching the history of buildings in the British Isles.

Surname Origins (1790-1911)

A service that provides advanced and custom surname maps for the British Isles and the US.

British Family Mottoes (1189-Present)

A dictionary of around 9,000 mottoes for British families who had right to bear arms.

Shropshire Information

Historical Description

SHROPSHIRE is an inland shire, in the basin of the Severn and on the Welsh border: it is sometimes called Salop, and the people Salopians: the greatest length is from north to south, which is 46 miles, and the greatest breadth is 37 miles; it lies between 520 20' and 530 4' north latitude, and between 2° 17' and 38° 14' west longitude. On the north it is bounded by Cheshire and part of Flintshire; on the east, by Staffordshire; on the south-east, by Worcestershire; on the south and southwest, by Herefordshire and Radnorshire, and on the west and north-west, by Montgomeryshire and Denbighshire. The area is 859, 516 acres. The population in 1801 was 169, 248; in 1811, 184, 973; in 1821, 198, 311; in 1831, 213, 518; in 1841, 225, 820; in 1851, 229, 341; in 1861, 240, 959; in 1871, 248, 111; in 1881, 248, 014; and in 1891, 236, 339.

The number of males in 1891 was 116, 736, and of females, 119, 603; the number of houses in 1891, inhabited, was 49, 686.

Of the ancient inhabitants of Shropshire little is known. The Ordovices and the Silures certainly occupied the neighbourhood of its southern regions. Uriconium is supposed to be of Silurian derivation. The Celts to whom the Cornavii and Ordovices are supposed to have belonged, afterwards occupied the country. The Belgae approached it from the south-east, but its subjugation by them was prevented by the invasion of the Romans, who reduced the Silurian, Welsh and Belgic tribes in it and its neighbourhood.

The Romans closely settled the district, and their towns, habitations, and roads are to be traced throughout. Their chief settlements were Wroxeter, Shrewsbury, Yarchester near Hurley, Chesterton, Alceston in West Hope, Overton near Richard’s Castle, Overton near Middleton Scriven, Overton near Stottesden, Condover, Overs near Ratlinghope, Overwood in Neen, Stapleford, Stapleton, Stapeley near Monk Hopton, Longnor parish, Longnor near Atcham, Wentnor, Gravenor near Norbury, Oreton near Farlow, Horton near Shrewsbury, Ludford and Ludlow, Halford, Hungerford, Clungunford, Quatford, Montford, Pitchford, Chatford, Pontesford, Twyford near Oswestry, Hindford, Sandford near Prees, Longford near Moreton, Losford, Ashford, Basford near Edgton, Burford, Gosford near Brimfield, Shackeford, near Hinstock, Stanford near Hinstock, Sandyford and Potford near Great Bolas, Besford, Great Withyford, Dearnford near Tilstock, Hoilsford near Worthen, Blockford near Chirbury, Cosford near Ryton, Stratford near Worfield, Sandyford near Quatford, Stretford near Halford, Walford near Stapleton, Ford near Shrawardine, Hopton Cangeford, Tugford, Blackford Rindeford, Ford near Atcham, Ford near Alberbury, Sandford near Oswestry, Milford near Baschurch, Wytherford, Besford, Longford near Newport, Sparkford near Culmington, Stedford near Tiberton, Alford near Child’s Ercall, Dandyford near Cockshut, Linford near Weston, Sandyford near Woore, Hayford near Westbury, Horsford near Deuxhill, Dufford near Chetton, Crateford near Chetton Bromfield, Broome, Oldport near Oswestry, Newport, Wem, Shawbury, Preston Gobalds, Woore, Brompton near Chirbury, Shifnal Harlescott near Shrewsbury, Onibury, Diddlebury, Clunbury, Rushbury, Prestbury near Bishop’s Castle, North Legelbury, Sidbury, Oldbury, Beckbury, Pontesbury, Westbury, Alberbury, Maesbury, Chirbury near Weston, Winsbury near Chirbury, Robury near Wentnor, Munslow, Lutwych, Upper Ledwych, Bromwich near West Felton, Wycherley near Cockshut, Walltown near Neen, Walton near Onibury, Walton near Wenlock, Walton near Stottesdon, Walton near Ercall, Walton near Worthen, Chatwall, Wall Hill near Wytheford, Cotwall near High Ercall, Walls Bank near Rushbury, Walcott near Uppington, Wallsbatch near Chetton, Burwarton, Stanwardine, Worfield, Shrawardine, Wrockwardine, Bridgewarton, Belswardine near Cressage, Cound, Forton near Montford, Milborough or Stoke, Broughton near Bishop’s Castle, Broughton near Claverley, Broughton near Wem, Wattlesborough, Burton, Bourton, Berwick near Atcham, Berwick near Shrewsbury, Burley near Stanton Lacy, Burley near Great Bolas, Starley, Harcott near Sedbury, Hargrave near Woolaston, Stanton near Shifnal, Stanton Long, Stanton Lacy, Church Stretton, Edgton, Edgbold, Edgeley, Edgerley, Edgmond, Edge near Pontesbury, Cressage.

Many of these places were only moated farms or villas; some camps and military posts.

The names of the Roman roads in Shropshire are Watling Street, Portway, Ridgway, Stanway, Burway, Redway, Bradway, Holloway, Whiteway, Hanway, Greenway, Ashway, Heathway, Blakeway, Cookridge, Penkridge, Catridge, Caveridge.

Among the Roman and supposed Roman sites of undetermined application are to be noticed a Conevbury near Farlow, and another at Abdon, Windyharbour, Coundharbour, Cold Hill near Shelve, Cold Oak, Cold Stocking, Cold Hatton, Cold Green, Cold Weston, Coldwell, Hungry Hill near Cleobury, Hunger Hill near Condover, Hungry Heath near Hinstock and Hungerford, Woolaston, Woolston, Woolbury and Wolleston.

The name of Cock shoot or Cockshoot is common. There are seven—near Abdon, Ellesmere, Brimfield, Bitterley, Slimeton, Chetton and Cold Weston.

There are many camps and barrows of indeterminate age. Some of the round camps are called rings; three are named Castle Ring, viz., near Wistanstow, Edgton, and Ratlinghope; Billing’s Ring near Wendover; Robery Ring near Wentnor, and Bradbury Ring near Church Stretton.

Besides those places supposed to be Roman are many places bearing the name of bury and low, which may be Silurian, British, Old English, or Danish. After the downfall of the Roman dominions the British population became predominant, and they were strengthened by the successive bodies of their countrymen driven in by the invading English. These belonged to the Great Commonwealth of the Mid — English or Mercians.

The settlers, so far as they are recognisable, belonged to the same clans as took part in the settlement of Sussex, Middlesex, and East Anglia. Among them were the Billing, Welling, Donning, Marring, Hunting, Ludding, Totting, Sidding, Elling, Bonning, Whiting, Carding, Winning, Bobbing, Ucking, and Tibbing. They founded nearly a thousand townships or settlements, and occupied nearly the whole country, except on the west.

Several peculiarities occur in the topographical terms of Shropshire. One is the word batch, seemingly of Roman application; the termination wardine, which stands for waredean or waredon; the word leasowes; the word tump (a Herefordshire word); the word rough, for a woody common or coppice; the word stocking for a plantation.

The following termination are rare: —Dingle, 6; dumble, 1; shaw, 2; croft, 3; tree, nash, riddings, frith, acre, 3; wyke, 3; lye, 1; pool, 1; hough, 1; prill, 1; sich, 2; meole, 3; ock, 1; bold, 6; was, 1; lake.

The word furlong is found in Brierly Furlong, Healthy Furlong, Furlong near Hopton, and Wall Furlong. There are four Turnings at West Felton, and five Turnings at Lydbury. There are only three Follys, two seemingly of Roman site. There is Mundy House near Westbury, Windy Oak near Stanton, Peckbeggar near Stoke.

The only relic of the worship of Widen or Woden is Tueshill, near Bucknall.

In the Welsh districts of Shropshire the names of places are generally strictly Welsh, and the division is so clear that in many parts a line may be drawn on the map.

During the existence of the commonwealth of Mercia continual wars were carried on with the Welsh, and the great king Offa formed the dyke or rampart which bears his name, as a fortified wall, Teaching from Flintshire to the Bristol Channel, and within which the Severn became an inner boundary.

Mercia merged with Wessex into the commonwealth of England, and for centuries the Welsh Marshes were a constant scene of warfare. In the middle ages the county contained many castles, of which several remain. Shropshire has produced many names of historic note.

The principal rivers are the Severn and its tributaries, and the Teme.

The Severn enters the county on its western boundary near Melverley, and flows thence by Shrawardine, Montford, and the Isle, to Shrewsbury, Uffington, Atcham, Wroxeter, Cressage, Leighton, and Buildwas, Coalbrookdale, Ironbridge, Coalport, Bridgnorth and Quatford, and finally leaves the county in the parish of Dowles, adjoining the town of Bewdley. The Perry rises near Halston in the north-west, and flows by Hordley, Ruyton-in-the-Eleven-Towns, and Fitz, and falls into the Severn near Mytton. The Rea, in the west of the shire, flows by Worthen, Hanwood, Meole Brace, and Sutton to the Severn at Shrewsbury. The Tasley and Linley brooks intersect the parish of Astley Abbotts, and fall into the Severn above Bridgnorth. The Tern flows from the north, near Market Drayton, and thence to Stoke-upon-Tem, Great Bolas, Waters Upton, Longden-upon-Tern to the Severn between Atcham and Wroxeter. The Roden passes between Blackhurst Ford in the north of the county, and flows through Wem, Aston, Lee Brockhurst, Stanton, Moreton Corbet, Shawbury, Roden, and Rodington, and falls into the Tern at Walcot Mill. The Worfe runs by Kemberton, Ryton, Beckbury, and Worfield into the Severn above Bridgnorth. The Teme passes through the county in the south, flowing through Ludlow, Ashford Carbonell, and Ashford Bowdler. The Ony river rises from the confluence of several brooks near Wistanstow, and flows by Halford, Stokesay, Onibury, and Bromfield to the Teme. The Corve flows through Corve Dale by Shipton, Munslow, Diddlebury, Culmington, and Stanton Lacy to the Teme at Ludlow. The Rea, a second river of that name, is in the southeast of the county, and flows by Neenton, Neen Savage, and Cleobury Mortimer to the Teme. The Clun, in the south, flows by Clun, Clunbury and Clungunford. The Camlet rises on the borders of Montgomery, and flows by Chirbury. There are several meres or lakes: Ellesmere lake covers 116 acres.

The railway system centres in Shrewsbury, and is chiefly belonging to the Great Western and London and North Western Companies, other lines being the North Staffordshire on the north-east, the Cambrian on the north-west and a local company at Bishop’s Castle. The Great Western entering the county near Bewdley, whence it has a branch to Tenbury, runs through Coalbrookdale, where branches leave for Shifnal and Wellington to the east and south-west to Craven Arms; the main line continues to Shrewsbury, and trending north-west, leaves the county near Gobowen, whence is a branch to Oswestry. From Wellington, in continuation of the Coalbrookdale line, one runs north-east to Market Drayton (where it joins the North Staffordshire to Stoke), and on to Nantwich and Crewe; and from Shrewsbury a line runs east through Wellington to Shifnal. The Great Western and London and North Western railways work a joint line from Ludlow through Craven Arms to Shrewsbury, whence they send branches to Welshpool and Minsterley, and on the north to Wem and Whitchurch, and here the Cambrian leaves for Oswestry and Welshpool, through Ellesmere. The London and North Western railway has lines from Craven Arms to Knighton, Wellington to Stafford and Wolferton to Tenbury, and a local company work a line from Craven Arms to Bishop's Castle.

The Severn is the main navigable channel, flowing through the heart of the shire; and it is connected with the Donnington Canal, the Shropshire Union Canal, the Shrewsbury Canal, the Birmingham and Liverpool Canal, the Chester and Ellesmere Canal. By these canals Shropshire has access to Chester, Birmingham, Staffordshire and Liverpool, and by the river to Gloucester and Bristol.

Much of Shropshire is hill land, being a continuation of the Welsh hills: on the east are other chains: among the Shropshire hills is Wenlock Edge—a sharp ridge extending for a distance of nearly 20 miles in a line, and some portions of which are about 1,000 feet high. The Wrekin, 1, 320 feet high, is a remarkable eminence standing out almost alone near the centre of the shire. The Breidden Hills are on the south bank of the Severn and are the Welsh boundary, assuming picturesque forms. The Clee Hills contain several high points: the Titter — stone Clee Hill is 1, 730 feet; Clee Burf, 1, 600 feet; and Abdon Curf, 1, 806 feet; the last is the highest hill in Shropshire: most of these hills and dales exhibit beautiful scenery.

Shropshire is a well wooded county: the forest of Wyre or Bewdley is on the right of the Severn: Clun Forest is a rough district of 12, 000 acres, which have, with the waste lands generally, been partially inclosed. Bagley Moors are between Shrewsbury and Drayton.

The Northern portion of Shropshire belongs chiefly to the new red sandstone formation, constituting a basin, while the south is mostly occupied by the old red sandstone: another portion of the south is occupied by the Silurian system. The geology of the district is very interesting, and presents some peculiar features.

The produce of Shropshire consists of coal, barytes (mainly sulphate), iron ore, iron pyrites, lead ore, a small quantity of zinc ore, limestone, calcspar, fireclay, potters’ and brick earth, pipeclay, oak, timber and bark, charcoal, wheat, barley, oats, peas, beans, vetches, turnips, potatoes, orchard fruits, hay, cattle, sheep (of which the shire gives name to a modern breed now much in favour), butter, cheese, wool; and in the rivers, salmon, trout, grayling, pike, perch, carp, shad, chub, and gudgeon.

The Coalbrookdale coalfield affords the material for valuable manufactures; it lies between Wenlock, Wellington, Lilleshall, and Shifnal. The Shrewsbury coalfield is of less extent and value. The Oswestry coalfield, as at present developed, is likewise small, but also has workable coal, and being adjacent to valuable mines in Denbighshire, probably will be extensive. The dislocated formations around the Clee Hills may be considered as constituting another field. Wyre Forest constitutes a fifth field. Discoveries of coal have been made on the property of the Lilleshall Company. The quantity of coal raised in the county is stated in the “ Mineral Statistics ” for 1893 to be 636, 628 tons, valued at £254, 651.

Ironstone of various kinds is extensively distributed in the Coalbrookdale coalfield, and is there worked; it is found also in the Clee Hill district. Iron mining and the iron manufacture are carried on at Coalbrookdale and elsewhere in Madeley district and in the Wellington district. The quantity of iron ore raised in 1893 was 54, 596 tons, of the value of £27, 298: the character of the ore is that known as Argillaceous Carbonate. The amount of pig iron manufactured in the county in the same year was 39, 504 tons, the produce of 10 blast furnaces, of which half were in blast: nails are also made.

Lead mining and the lead manufacture exists chiefly in the Atcham district, with a portion in Clun. Lead mines have long been profitably worked by the Snail-beach and other companies. The amount of lead ore raised in the county in 1893 was 1, 800 tons, producing 1, 382 tons of lead, and valued at the mines at £11, 171; iron pyrites, 370 tons; barytes, 5, 852 tons, valued at £5, 119; 8, 836 tons of fireclay, valued at £3, 314.

Stone and limestone quarries and lime burning are carried on chiefly in the Wellington, Oswestry and Newport districts, but the limestone trade in the Shrewsbury, Wellington and Madeley districts. Limestone produced in 1893 was 2, 990 tons and 751 tons calc spar.

The earthenware and china manufacture is at Coalport, in the Madeley district.

Bricks and tiles are manufactured on a large scale in the Broseley district, which is also the seat of the mosaic and encaustic tile trade. Tobacco-pipe making is carried on at Broseley.

The other manufactures are small. The carpet and rug manufacture at Bridgnorth; at Shrewsbury, the manufacture of linen yarn and thread; agricultural implements at Wellington, Ludlow and Wenlock, Shrewsbury and Oswestry; and there are small paper mills in various places.

Malting is on a considerable scale, but little is done in brewing, and that chiefly at Shrewsbury.

The soil in the valleys is good: on the right bank of the Severn it is a red clay and gravel—the debris of the new red sandstone formation. Wenlock Edge and the neighbouring hills admit of tillage, and so does Clun Forest; but some of the hills on the Welsh borders are too high and bare even for sheep feeding. The lofty Clee Hills are almost wholly cultivated or depastured; but their alluvial geological nature will account for their fertility. On the Severn are many water meadows.

The population is chiefly pure English, but on the Welsh border there is a mixed race of Anglo — Welsh; there are many Welsh immigrants in the manufacturing districts, and some Irish. The Welsh population is increasing, and though Shropshire may be looked upon on the whole as an English county, one — tenth of its population is Welsh.

Shropshire is in the Oxford circuit. The assize town is Shrewsbury.

The municipal boroughs are Shrewsbury, population in 1891, 26, 967, Bishop’s Castle, 1, 586, Bridgnorth, 5, 865, Ludlow, 4, 460, Oswestry, 8, 496, and Wenlock, 15, 703.

The other principal towns are Coalbrookdale or Madeley, 8, 177, Wellington, 5, 909, Broseley, 4, 033, Whitchurch, 4, 062, Ellesmere, 5, 507, Shifnal, 6, 516, Ironbridge, 2, 739, Newport, 2, 675, Wem, 3, 796, Wombridge, 2, 786, Drayton, 5, 089, Pontesbury, 2, 682, Clun, 2, 115, Cleobury Mortimer, 1, 463, and Church Stretton, 1, 707.

Shropshire is in the province of Canterbury, and chiefly in the dioceses of Hereford and Lichfield; and the archdeaconries of Ludlow and Salop, the former in the Hereford diocese and the latter in Lichfield; Ludlow (formerly Salop) archdeaconry is sub-divided into the deaneries of Bridgnorth, Burford (East and West divisions), Clun, Ludlow, Montgomery, Pontesbury (two portions), Stottesden and Wenlock (two portions); Salop archdeaconry is sub-divided into the deaneries of Condover, Edgmond, Ellesmere, Hodnet, Shifnal, Shrewsbury, Wem, Whitchurch and Wrockwardine. Part of Welsh Shropshire is in the diocese of St. Asaph, comprising the deanery of Oswestry in Montgomery archdeaconry and two parishes in the deanery of Llangollen, archdeaconry of Wrexham.

The shire includes 252 civil parishes, besides parts of six others. Many of the parishes are very large, being composed of ten or a dozen townships. Some of the parishes extend over 10, 000 acres, or 15 square miles. The following are some of the largest: —Hodnet 9, 625, Ellesmere 26, 457, Clun 20, 535, Oswestry 16, 234, Wem 13, 898, Prees 13, 743, Whitchurch 14, 870, Market Drayton 14, 375, Stottesdon 9, 486, Shifnal 11, 750, Westbury 8, 800, Chirbury 11, 041, Church Stretton 10, 286, Worfield 10, 370, Pontesbury 11, 011, Diddlebury 8, 690, Alberbury 7, 908, Ercall 11, 392, Bettws 8, 664, Claverley 8, 185, Wenlock 8, 761, Whittington 8, 666, Baschurch 8, 491, Wellington 8, 731, Lydbury North 8, 195, Condover 7, 542, Bromfield 6, 322.

The number of townships in Shropshire is very large, the ancient territorial organization having been maintained. The whole number of townships is 817, exclusive of the minor divisions of hamlets, tithings and parochial divisions. The average area of a township in Shropshire is 11/2 square miles, or about 1,000 acres, and the average population of a country township may be taken as from 200 to 250.

These townships have not, however, all preserved their entire jurisdiction; for although distinct for highway purposes, and as districts for the collection of rates and other purposes, a part only are distinctly rated and represented for the relief of the poor, in fact, about 300 only—the others being merged in districts.

There is a College of Divinity at Bridgnorth, besides Ellesmere college and nine grammar schools, of which Shrewsbury is one of the most eminent.

The Salop Infirmary, at Shrewsbury, was first founded in April, 1745: the present Infirmary, built on the site of a former structure at a cost of more than £18, 000, and opened for patients in 1830, is of freestone in the Classic style, with a Doric portico in the centre, from designs by Messrs. Haycock, of Shrewsbury; a wide terrace extends along the eastern front, whence an extensive and interesting view is obtained: an additional wing was completed in 1869 at a cost of £4, 000, and in 1877 the interior was renovated and re-arranged and several out-buildings added at a further cost of £5, 000, and the infirmary contains 130 beds; the average yearly attendance is about 1, 125 in, and 6, 208 out, patients: T. P. P. Marsh, J. de Styrap M. R. C. P. Irel. Henry Nelson Edwards L. R. C. P. Edin. and Edward Burd M. D., M. C. physicians extraordinary; Richard Walter Owen Withers L. R. C. P. Lond. and Edward Cureton M. R. C. P. Edin. physicians; William Eddowes, Henry John Rope F. R. C. S. Eng. Arthur Jackson F. R. C. S. Eng. and E. Lycett Bard M. D. surgeons; William Edwd. Harding L. D. S. R. C. S. Eng. dental surgeon; Leonard Joseph Godson, house surgeon; Miss Ida Dewing, lady superintendent; Rev. W. Annand M. A. chaplain; Joseph Jenks, secretary.

The Counties Lunatic Asylum for Salop and Montgomery, at Bicton Heath, near Shrewsbury, is a building in the Elizabethan style, and was opened in 1845, since which considerable additions have been made up to the year 1884, at a total cost of £158, 000, and the asylum will now hold 800 patients: the additions comprise a wing at each side, laundry, dining hall, workshops, mortuary chapel and a lodge, from designs by Mr. Thomas Groves, erected at a cost of over £70, 000: 35 acres, well cultivated, are attached to the building: Arthur Strange M. D. medical superintendent; Alan Rigden L. R. C. P. Lond. and Alfred Keppel Barrett L. R. C. P. Lond. assistant medical officers; Rev. John Thomas Burton Wollaston, chaplain; E. Cresswell Peele, clerk to the visiting justices; William Johnson, clerk of asylum.

Her Majesty’s Prison, in the Dana, Shrewsbury, erected in 1787-93, from a design by Mr. Haycock, at a cost of £30, 000: the south elevation, forming the governor’s house, has a bold castellated appearance, and over the gateway is a niche containing a bust of Howard, the philanthropist, by Bacon; the prison contains 203 cells, 180 for males and 23 for females, besides the apartments for debtors and infirmaries. The visiting justices meet at the prison once a month. Richard Roberts, governor; Peter Walton, deputy; Rev. W. G. D. Fletcher, chaplain; John Davies Harries, surgeon; John Grey, assistant surgeon; George Watson, schoolmaster.

Parliamentary Representation of Shropshire

Shropshire formerly returned four members in two divisions, but by the “ Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885, ” it still has four members, but in four divisions: —

No. 1. —The Western or Oswestry division comprises the sessional divisions of Cherbury, Condover, Ford, Oswestry and Pimhill (except so much as is comprised in division 2), the municipal borough of Oswestry and the parish of Fitz in the sessional division of Albrighton.

No. 2. —The Northern or Newport division comprises the sessional divisions of Albrighton (except the parish of Fitz); Bradford Drayton, Bradford Newport (except the part in division 3); Bradford Wem; Bradford Whitchurch and Brimstree Shifnal; the municipal borough of Shrewsbury; the parish of Middle, in the sessional division of Pimhill; and the following parishes in the sessional division of Bradford Wellington, viz.: Atchall, Ercall Magna, Longdon-upon-Tern, Rodington, Upton Magna, Waters Upton and Withington.

No. 3. —The Mid or Wellington division comprises the sessional divisions of Bradford Wellington (except so much as is comprised in division No. 2); the parishes of Lilleshall and Preston — on — the — Wold Moors, in the sessional division of Bradford Newport; and the parishes of Benthall, Broseley, Little Wenlock and Madeley, in the municipal borough of Wenlock.

No. 4. —The Southern or Ludlow division comprises the sessional divisions of Bishop’s Castle, Brimstree South and Stottesdon Chilmarsh; Burford, Clun and Purslow; Munslow Lower and part of Overs and Stottesdon, Munslow Upper and Stottesdon Cleobury; and the municipal boroughs of Bridgnorth, Ludlow and Wenlock (except so much as is comprised in division 3).

Under the provisions of the above-named Act, the representation of the boroughs of Bridgnorth, Ludlow and Wenlock was merged in that of the county, borough of Shrewsbury lost one member.

Members of Parliament for the County

Mid Division, Col. Alexander Hargreaves Brown J. P. Druid’s Cross, Wavertree, Liverpool; & 12 Grosvenor gardens S W & Brooks’ & Devonshire clubs, London S W Northern Division, Col. William Slaney Kenyon-Slaney J. P. Hatton grange, Shifnal, Salop; 44 Lowndes square S W & Carlton, Guards’ & Wellington clubs, London S W Southern Division, Robert Jasper More esq. M. A., D. L., J. P. Linley hall, Bishop’s Castle R. S. O.; Larden cottage, Long Stanton, Much Wenlock R. S. O. Salop; 25 Chester terrace S W & Oxford & Cambridge & Brooks’ clubs, London SW Western Division, Stanley Leighton esq. F. S. A., D. L., J. P. Sweeney hall, Oswestry; 23 Chesham place SW & Carlton & Athenaeum clubs, London S W.

Fairs & Markets

Bishop’s Castle stock fairs are held on the second Friday in every month, with the exceptions of March, which is always held on the 26th of that month, & May Fair, for the hiring of servants, which is held on the first Friday after May Day. Market day, Friday Bridgnorth fairs are held the third Mondays in January, February & March, for cattle; the first of May, for pleasure; the second Monday in June for wool & cheese; the second Monday in June & July for cattle; the third Monday in August & September; the principal fairs May 1 & October 29, the latter for cheese, butter & provisions, & on the second Monday in December, for fat stock. Market day, Saturday Broseley, last Tuesday in April Church Pulverbach, September 22, for cattle, sheep & pigs Church Stretton, second Thursday in January; third Thursday in March; May 14 (hiring servants); July 3 (wool); September 25 (sheep & colts); & last Thursday in November. The above fairs are for horses, cattle, sheep & pigs. Market day, Thursday Cleobury Mortimer, May 2, for hiring farm servants & for pleasure. Market day, Wednesday Clun, last Friday in January, third Monday in March, May 11 (for hiring servants), June 15), August 23, September 23 & November 22. Market day, Thursday Craven Arms, cattle fair monthly. Market day, Friday Dawley, first Monday in June, for horses, cattle & live stock. Market day, Saturday Ellesmere, fairs for horses, cattle, sheep & pigs every alternate Thursday. Market days, Thursday & Saturday Ironbridge, May 29. Market day, Friday Llanmynech, April 1, May 29 & September 23 Ludlow, second Monday in every month for horned cattle, horses, pigs & general merchandise. Market days, Monday & Saturday Market Drayton, Wednesday before June 22, first Wednesday in February, first Wednesday in May, first Wednesday in August & the last Wednesday in November; the fairs on Wednesday before Palm Sunday, September 19 & October 24 are statute & the others for cattle. Market days, Wednesday & Saturday Minsterley, second Monday in each month for stock & second Monday in September for cattle Nesscliffe, last Monday in April for live stock Newport, market day, Saturday & a cattle market on alternate Mondays for live stock Oswestry, cattle fairs weekly on Wednesdays; cheese & butter fairs the first; Wednesday in every month. Market days, Wednesday & Saturday Priors Ditton, May 10 & October 25, for cattle, sheep & pigs Shifnal, last Saturday in June & November 22, principally for cattle. Market day, Tuesday Shrewsbury, the markets for cattle, pigs & sheep, are held every Tuesday; horses, first Tuesday in each month; & for bacon, butter & cheese on the second Wednesday in every month; the great annual horse fair is held the first week in March; the fairs are held in the Smithfield Stokesay, cattle fair monthly Wellington, market days Thursday & Saturday Wem, every alternate Monday. Market day, Thursday Much Wenlock, May 12, for hiring. Market day, Monday Westbury, September 15 Whitchurch, cattle market every alternate Monday. Market day, Friday; cheese fair the fourth Wednesday of every month, except December.

Military

The troops in this county are under the North-Western District command; head quarters, Chester Shrewsbury is the depot of Regimental District No. 53, the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, comprising the 1st Battalion (53rd Foot) and 2nd (85th Foot), to which is attached two Militia Battalions, the Shropshire and Hereford, comprising respectively its 3rd and 4th. The head quarters of the 3rd are at Shrewsbury. Full particulars are given at page 199. The Hereford Militia is stationed at Hereford.

Kelly's Directory of Shropshire (1895)

SITUATION, BOUNDARIES, AND EXTENT

SHROPSHIRE is an inland county, bounded on the north by Denbighshire, the detached part of Flintshire, and by Cheshire; on the west by Radnorshire, Montgomery, and Denbighshire; on the east by Staffordshire, and on the south by Worcestershire and Herefordshire. It is about 50 miles long, and 40 broad, and contains 1328 square miles, or, 849,940 acres; or, according to Dr. Hailey, 89,000 acres, or about a 45th part of England and Wales. The shape of this county is an irregular parallelogram; and as to the circumference of what is contained in indentted lines, it is useless to enquire, as the statement may mislead, and can rarely inform.

NAME, ANCIENT HISTORY, &C

Shropshire took its name from the county town, in Saxon written Scrobbesberig, signifying a place surrounded by shrubs; it being situated on a hill, formerly covered with trees and shrubs. It is also called Salop, which name it received from the Normans. Its primitive inhabitants were, by the Romans, called Cornavie, and their territory made a part of the province of Flavia Cæsariensis; under the Saxons it belonged to the kingdom of Mercia. As frontier to Wales, besides the several towns, it had no less than 32 castles; the county towards Wales, was called the Marches, and governed by some of the nobility, who were called Lords of the Marches, who acted with an authority nearly approaching to royalty, and generally exercised with great rigour.

CLIMATE AND SOIL

The climate is so far altered by the irregularity of its surface, &c. that there is a considerable difference in several parts; however, it is generally healthy in every part; even the coal and iron mines are no exceptions to the salubrity of the air of Shropshire. —The variety of soil is certainly very great.

The south portion of this county assumes the mountainous character peculiar to the counties of Denbigh and Montgomery, whilst the northern half approaches more nearly to a level, agreeably relieved by a few single hills and romantic valleys, finely wooded.

POPULATION

This, according to the returns in 1821, consisted of 206,153 persons, viz. 102,056 males; females 104,097, of which 18,414 were employed in agriculture, and 17,485 in trade, manufactures, and handicraft, making a total of 206,153 persons.

RIVERS AND CANALS

The Severn, the second commercial river in the kingdom, rises at the foot of the Plinlimmon, in Montgomeryshire, and flowing north-north-east, passes the towns of Llanidoes, Newtown, Montgomery, and Welspool; quits the county at Melverley, having received the waters of many smaller rivers in its course. Hence it runs east to Shrewsbury, where it suddenly turns to the south-east, flowing through Colebrook Dale and passing the town of Madeley market, and Bridgenorth, it pursues the same course out of the county and enters Worcestershire at Bewdley; here it again turns south, and passing through Worcester and Upton, enters Gloucestershire near Tewksbury; where uniting its waters with the upper Avon, and pursuing a south west course, it traverses a wide vale-arch in pasturage, and in some places abundantly wooded. About a mile above Gloucester it divides into two streams; these again unite a little below the city, forming the tract of land called Alney Island. Soon after this junction, its depth and width are increased by several streams. At a bend of the Severn, near Framilode, commences the Stroudwater Canal, uniting the navigation of this river with the Thames; at this place it forms nearly a semicircle of ten miles to the village of Frethorn, and flowing again south west, grows wider gradually, till it receives the Wye near Chepstow, and the Avon from Somersetshire, thus forming the Bristol Channel. Between Tewkesbury and the sea, there is only one passage over this river by bridge, which is at Gloucester: the other passages are by boats at the upper Lodge, one mile below Tewkesbury; at lower Lodge, six miles above Gloucester; at the Austor Old Passage, and at the New Passage. The Severn is remarkable for its tide, which rolls in with a head of three or four feet high, foaming and roaring in its course; this peculiarity arises from its receiving the tides from the great Atlantic Ocean, which pours its waters with such considerable violence as to fill the channel of the river at once; and the opposition it meets from the strong current of fresh water, causes the dashing of the waves, commonly called the Eagre, probably from the Norman Eau guerre, or water-war.

Next to the Severn is the Tern; this rises in the north part of the county, and flowing south as far as the village of the same name, receives the waters of the Strine from Newport; and, turning south-west, unites with the Rodon, and flows into the Severn near Brompton Ferry. The Rodon rises also in the north part of the county, and running south, joins the Tern near Walcot.

The contributory rivers to the Severn in the County, are, 1st. the Camlet, which rises on Corndon Marsh. The river Perry runs into the Severn, a little below Montford-bridge. At Shrewsbury the Meole brook runs into the south side of the Severn, which is joined on the north about four or five miles east of Shrewsbury, by the river Tern. Between Cund and Bridgenorth, the Severn receives west five or six smaller brooks, and on its east side two of the same description. The Teme, is celebrated for grayling, and has plenty of trout.

The Lakes in this county are neither numerous nor extensive. Marton Pool 640 yards by 510, contains 45 roods 15 perches. Ellesmere Lake adjoining the town of that name, covers 116 acres. Whitemere 62, Colemere 87. North of Severn is another, Marton pool, from 40 to 42 acres. At Walcote and Hawkestone, are artificial lakes or rivers of very considerable extent. The water in Acton-Burnel Park, covers 25 acres, and that at Aston 11.

The fish found in the Severn, as it passes through Shropshire, are 1st. Salmon, which come up the river with the first flush of water after Michaelmas, and are in high season till May. 2d. Flounders, reckoned a delicate fish from this river. 3d. Pike, is rather scarce in the Shropshire part of the river, but more plentiful in Montgomeryshire, and most excellent. 4. Trout. 5. Grayling. 6. Perch. 7. Eels. 8 Shad. 9. Bleak; by some supposed to be young shad. 10. Gudgeons in plenty. 11. Chub. 12. Roach. 13. Dace. 14. Carp, in some deep parts of the river. 15. Some Lamprezs. 16. Ruff. 17. Bull-heads. 18. Loach, Botling, Lamperts; in the whole twenty-two sorts of fish.

CANALS

Shrewsbury Canal commences at Shrewsbury, and winding with the Severn, passes Uffington, from thence it runs parallel with the river Tern, and passes Upton Forge, Withington, Rodington, where it crosses the river Roden, and shortly crosses the Tern River at Long Mill; passes Landon and Eyton, and crosses Ketley Brook, at Rockwardine Wood, in Shropshire, and there joins the Donington and Shropshire Canals, being in length 17 ½ miles, with 147 feet rise in five miles, between Langdon and Wormbridge. The remainder is level. The number of coal and iron mines in the neighbourhood of the whole line of this canal is immense.

The Shrewsbury Canal Company, purchased about a mile in length of the north end of this canal: at the termination of this purchase, they erected an inclined plane of 223 yards in length, and 75 feet of fall: from the bottom of this inclined plane, the canal passes on by Eyton-mill, to Long-lane, being a distance of about 4 ¼ miles, and in which there is a lockage of 79 feet; from thence it passes on to Long, where it crosses a valley of considerable length, and over the river Tern, at the height of 16 feet above the level of the surface of the meadow, by means of an aqueduct and embankment; near to this place it crosses the turnpike-road, which leads from Wellington to high Ercall, Shrewsbury, and Wera; from this road it goes on to Rodington, where it crosses the River Roden, on an aqueduct and embankment, at the height of twenty-one feet above the surface of the river there; from this place it passes on through Withington to near Actham, where it crosses a turnpike-road, and at half a mile to the north of the road enters a tunnel of 970 yards in length; from the north end of the tunnel it passes on under Haughmond-hill to Pimley, where it crosses a valley on a small aqueduct and embankment: from thence it passes along the banks of the river Severn, and terminates in a large basin and coal-yard, at that entrance to the town of Shrewsbury, called the Castle Foregate.

There are several circumstances which are peculiar to this canal—one is, that the communication between the higher and lower levels is partly by means of an inclined plane, and partly by locks: a second is, that as small boats are used upon this canal, the locks are so formed as to admit of either one, three, or four boats passing at a time, without the loss of any more water than what is just necessary to regulate the ascent or descent of the boat or boats then in the locks. This is accomplished by having gates that are drawn up and let down perpendicularly, instead of being worked horizontally; and each lock has three gates, one of which divides the body of the lock so as to admit of one, three, or four boats at a time. A third, and perhaps the most striking circumstance, is, that the canal passes over the valley of the Tern, at Long, for a distance of sixty-two yards, upon an aqueduct made all of cast iron, excepting only the nuts and screws, which are of wrought iron; this was the first aqueduct, for the purposes of a navigable canal, which has ever been composed of this metal. It has completely answered the intention, although it was foretold by some, that the effects of the different degrees of heat and cold would be such as to cause expansion and contraction of the metal, which not being equal to, extend or draw back, the whole mass of the aqueduct would operate upon the separate plates of iron, so as to tear off the flanches which connect the plates lengthwise and break the joints; but, after the trial of summer-heat, and the hard frosts of winter, no visible alteration took place, and no water passed through any of the side or bottom joints.

Ellesmere Canal. —This canal joins the river Severn on the north side of Shrewsbury, at Bagley-bridge, and, taking a northerly course, passes Newton, Walford, Baschurch, Weston, Lullingfield, ami Hordley; here a cut branches to the west, called the Llanymynech branch, and goes to the town and lime-works of that name, being a distance of 12 miles; the canal then passes Francton-common, whence a branch goes to the east, called Whitchurch branch, and passes Ellesmere, Welcbampton, Whitchurch, and finishes at Prees-heath; this cut is 14 miles long; the canal is then continued, and passes the Ridges, Old Martin, crosses the river Morlas, and soon after the river Ceriog: it then passes within a short distance of Chirk castle, and crosses the river Dee at Pontoysylte, by means of an aqueduct; it then proceeds by Rhuabon, Newhall, Bersham, Wrexham, where a branch goes to the west called the Brombro’ branch, which is three miles and a half long; the canal then passes Gresford, whence a branch of four miles goes to Holt; from thence, in nearly a direct line, it passes Pulford, Leach-hall, and crossing the river Dee, passes on to the west side of Chester, and then by Backford, Chorlton, Croughton, Stoke, Stanney, Whetby, and there joins the river Mersey, being a distance of 57 miles.

Kington Canal, begins at Kington, and passing eastward by Stanton Kingsland, where it crosses the Lug, and makes a bend to Leominster, whence it turns and goes between Eye and Berrington, by Orleton Brimfield, where it crosses the river Teme by little Hereford, Burford, Tenbury, Rochford, Knighton; there crosses the Rea, and runs to Lindridge, Low, Pensax, through a tunnel to Jones’s hole, and by Alley, there falling into the Severn.

Donnington Wood Canal. —This canal, the private property of the Marquis of Stafford and Thomas and John Gilberts, eqrs. was made about 39 years ago; the length is six miles, and level. It begins at Donnington-wood iron-works in the parish of Lillishull, and proceeds to Paved line near Newport, all in this County.

Dudley Extension Canal. —This canal joins the Dudley Canal near Netherton, and making a bend to the south-west, round the high ground, comes to Windmill-end, and taking a course south-east passes through Combes-wood by Hales-Owen, and at the foot of that enchanting spot the Leasowes; soon after which it enters a very long tunnel, and proceeds by Weoley-castle to Selly-oak, where it joins the Birmingham and Worcester canal, making a course of ten miles and five furlongs and all level. There is a short tunnel near Combes-wood 17 chains, but the tunnel beyond Hales-Owen is nearly two miles long. There are two collateral cuts from the canal at Windmill-end, towards the town of Dudley, with a fall of sixty-four feet.

ROADS

These, both turnpike and private, were for a long time complained of as generally bad; the private ones in particular, in the clayey country, used to be almost impassable to any out the inhabitants. Both have been considerably improved, in consequence of various acts of parliament enacted for that purpose. The Watling-Street Roman road enters the county at Boningale near Albrighton, from whence it passes to Shiffnel, Ketley, Wellington, and to Wroxeter, where it passes the Severn in a southerly direction to Pitchford, Acton Burnell, Church Stretton, and enters Herefordshire at Lentwardine.

RENT AND SIZE OF FARMS

The size of both the estates and farms here are various, several belonging to noblemen and opulent commoners, cover from 10,000 to 25,000 acres each; while there are an infinite number of freeholders and yeomen’s estates of inferior sizes—but the misery of a small farmer, generally speaking, is extreme. He has not constant employment for himself and family (if large) upon his farm; he is often above working at day labour, is unable to exert himself and improve his poor pittance of land, and sits by the fire-side with his family, great part of winter, lamenting the smallness of his farm and capital, and often brooding nothing but discontent.

But, whilst the advantage of large over small farms are admitted, the benefit and comfort that the common workmen receives from sufficient grass land being attached to his cottage, for keeping a cow in summer and winter, should never be lost sight of The landlord will also receive benefit, as well as self-satisfaction, from being the cause of the plenty that the produce of a cow makes in a large and poor family.

FARM HOUSES AND COTTAGES

The inconvenience of having the farm buildings in villages is severely felt, as the lands being distant, this reduces the value, in some instances, two shillings an acre. The farm houses and buildings, in general, have been noticed as very inconveniently situated, and ill-constructed; many of them being at one extremity of the farm. Those, too, not in villages, are mostly built in some low situation, by which means, the farmer loses entirely the drainings of his fold-yard, which, being turned over his land, would prove extremely serviceable. The cottages, till of late years, generally speaking, have been liable to much the same objections as the farm-houses; but both are now in a progressive state of improvement.

To almost every farm house there is a small plot of land called the hemp-yard, and to many of the best cottages, a peck of hemp seed, Winchester measure, which, if it costs two shillings, will, on an average, sow ten perches of land. This will produce from two to three dozen pounds of tow, when dressed and fitted for spinning, each dozen pounds of tow will make about ten ells of cloth, generally sold at about three-shillings an ell. Thus, a very good crop on ten perches of land, or a very middling crop on fifteen perches, will produce about 4l. 10s. the profits of which, may be about 2l. 5s. after the rent of the land seed, dressing, whitening, and weaving expenses are defrayed.

LEASES

These have, of late years, been exploded by many gentlemen of landed property; many of whom, having formerly granted them for very long terms, have been induced, by the injury they have thereby sustained, and some other reasons, to object to any lease. This being a contrary extreme, the Rev J. Plymley formed a lease, which was so fortunate as to meet with the approbation of both landlords and tenants in general, the landlord being left, in some degree, at liberty, and the tenants made confident of having an allowance made for their improvements before they quit. Leases are granted for seven, fourteen, or twenty years.

TITHES AND TENURES

About one-twentieth part of the income of this county may be paid in tithe, by composition to the parochial clergy, as scarcely any is gathered. Without including the tithe, about 15s. per acre has been reckoned as a high valuation for the county throughout. The average of the compositions for tithes here, does not, perhaps, exceed the tithe of the rent, or two shillings in the pound, though a few extreme cases may be pointed out.

There is much copyhold tenure, but of easier customs than in the neighbouring counties, The lords of some of the manors have enfranchised the copyholders upon receiving an equivalent in money. The customs of the greater number are preserved and acted upon. In the manors of Ford, Cundover, Wem, and Loppington. In the manors of Cardington and Stretton the lands descend to the youngest son, and, in default of sons, the daughters are co-heiresses. The fines and heriots, also, in these two manors, though somewhat different, are so fixed and easy, that it may be doubted whether the tenure is not preferable to freehold.

CATTLE

The neat cattle of this county cannot be referred to any of the distinct breeds enumerated by writers on live stock; probably, they are much the same as that spread over Warwickshire and Staffoidshire. The old Shropshire ox was remarkable for a large dew-lap. For many years past, numbers of cattle have been reared here from improved breeds. The Herefordshire breed were long preferred on the south confines of Shropshire. Lord Clive, many years ago, had a male and two female zebus from Madagascar; each of these had a calf; they themselves were considerably less than the smallest Scots; but their calves, at six months old, were nearly as large as their dams, and endured showers of Tain, at which their old ones run to shelter. Neat cattle, on the north-east side of the Severn, were some time since an inferior sort of the Lancashire long-horn, in general for the dairies. Cows in this county are every where hoysed and tied up during the winter.

SHEEP

The breeding of flocks are few and small, where there are no commons, but various in their sorts; there being specimens here of most in England, &c. from the Welsh of 6 pounds per quarter, to the Leicestershire of 30 pounds. There is scarcely an instance of folding sheep. The old Shropshire sheep are horned, and have black or mottled faces and legs; they are nearly as large as the Southdown sheep, but the neck rather longer, and the carcase, perhaps, not so compact. They are extremely hardy; never have any dry food given to them in winter, except in great snows. They are not attended by a shepherd, nor folded, and do not, generally, drink: the farmer thinks those seen to drink, are rotten or tainted. Upon the hills, near Wales, the flocks are white-faced and without horns, and are rather shorter in the legs than the Longmynd sheep, and have heavier but coarser fleeces.

HORSES AND OXEN

There is no particular breed in this county; the supply is chiefly from Derbyshireand Leicestershire. Still there are many small, hardy, compact, and very useful horses for working, bred in Shropshire. The waggon-horses, belonging to the more considerable farmers, are in general strong black ones; and some years ago, before the absurd practice of docking was discountenanced by the most judicious farmers, were condemned to undergo that unnatural operation, notwithstanding the free use of their tails are so great an advantage to animals so much teazed and harassed by flies.

The practice of setting the horns of oxen is pretty generally exploded by persons who listen to the dictates of humanity, as a paramount consideration to any fanciful or useless ornament. Oxen are much used in teams, &c, by those farmers who calculate upon the advantage of ox-teams above those of horses.

HOGS

It has been made a question whether any county of the extent of Shropshire, grows so many, or rears or fats such a number of hogs. The original hog of this county was a high-backed, large-eared animal, since crossed by various breeds, and rarely to be met with unmixed. —Pork and bacon are much used among the poorer people when they can procure them, and a greater portion of labourers used formerly to feed a pig than at present.

One reason assigned by Archdeacon Plymley, why labourers have not a pig so frequently as before, “may arise from their buying flour or bread instead of wheat. Farmers who refuse to sell wheat in small quantities act very improperly; for the labourer who can buy wheat, gets better bread than he can otherwise procure, and has the bran towards feeding a pig.

IMPLEMENTS

Double ploughs with wheels, single ploughs with and without wheels, waggons, tumbrils, carts, and other implements of husbandry, are so various, that it is almost an impossibility to describe them accurately, but they are nearly the same as are used in the adjacent counties. The thrashing machines erected in Shropshire, differ in construction. Some of the best judges prefer the Suffolk swing ploughs to those used with wheels, who think swing ploughs are best for skilful ploughmen, while a wheel plough is best for others. Wheat, in general, is reaped here with broad hooks. Barley and Oats are mowed. Pease are cut up, or bagged with a bill or bagging hook. In some places wheat is mowed, and profitably, if a man has one assistant to place, another to gather, and a third to bind. A cradle is put on the scythe when wheat is mowed.

MINERALS

There are mines of good lead ore on the western side of the county. The Bog mine in Wentnor parish, and the white grit mine in Shelve and Worthen parishes adjoin the Stiper stones: these high bills resemble the ruins of walla and castles, and contain a granulated quartz, harder than common sand-stone. A solid lump of pure ore of 800lbs, has been gotten up from the Bog mine. One ton will run 15 cwt. of lead besides slag. The vein is in some parts three feet thick, and generally bedded in white spar. T he ores at the white grit mine are the common galena, and the steel grained ores; they produce from 10 to 13 cwt. of lead besides slags, from a ton of ore, and rarely more. Lead has been obtained from Trailbach, nearer Shrewsbury, for a long time. The vein was in some parts four yards wide. The vein-stones are heavy spar, mixed with calcareous spar and quartz; and the ore here is the common galena, and the steel grained, and sometimes the white spatous ore. As far west as Llanymynech, lead is found in small quantities, and copper, which the Romans are said to have worked at a great expense. Tools, judged to have been Roman, have been found in these mines, and some of them are preserved in the library; at Shrewsbury free-school. Calamine is also met with here. The rock at Pimhill is strongly tinctured with copper, and symptoms of this and lead appear also in the Cardington hills, many miles south-east. Lead also is found at Shipton, in the road from Wenlock to Ludlow.

Coal of an excellent quality is found in the parishes of Wellington, Lilleshal, Wrockwardine, Wombridge, Sterchley, Dawley, Little, Wenlock, Barrow, Benthal, and Brosely, South of these works, and on the other side of Bridgenorth, coal appears again; also on the Clee hills is found the canal or kennel coal. Mr. Pennant, in his voyage to the Hebrides, remarks, that the name is probably candle coal, from giving a light, which in poorer houses supersedes the use of candles.

WASTES

In comparison with many other counties this may have been considered as an enclosed one for many years, particularly in respect to field land. The Morf, near the town of Bridgenorth, was for a long time considered as one of the most considerable commons in the county, till it was enclosed about the year 1815. This was originally five miles in length, and two or three in width. The chief district of moor land at present surrounds the village of Kinnersly principally inhabited by miners.

WEIGHTS AND MEASURES

Wheat, barley, and pease, are sold by the strike or bushel, which, in Shrewsbury market, is 38 quarts, and in some others 40. The 38 quarts of wheat should weigh 75lbs, and the 40 quarts 80lbs. In other markets in the county, the bushel of wheat does not weigh more than 70lbs; this is chiefly understood of the eastern district. The bushel of flour is everywhere 56lbs. Thirty-eight quarts of barley weigh about 65lbs. A bushel of oats means three half bushels of the customary measure of Shrewsbury, and should weigh better than 93lbs. In other markets it means 2 ½ bushels, sometimes heaped, sometimes stricken, and sometimes a medium between both. A bag of wheat is three bushels customary measure. The quarter bushel is called a hoop, or peck; and the fourth of that a quarter. Buiter fresh has 17 oz. to the pound. Salted 16oz. A gawn of butter, in Shrewsbury, signifies 12 lbs. of 16 oz. and 16lbs. of 16 oz.; at Bridgenorth, cheese is sold by the hundred; 121lbs. at Shrewsbury, and 113lbs. at Bridgenorth. Coals are sold by the ton, or 20 cwt. of 112lbs. at some ports, and 120 at others. Hay is sold by the ton of 20 cwt. of 112lbs. Home-made linen cloth is sold by the ell, which measure a yard and a half. The acre is the statute acre; and the workman’s rood, in digging, is eight yards square; in hedging, eight in length.

AGRICULTURAL SOCIETIES

There were none of this description during a long period in this county. There are at present two, one at Drayton, upon the north-east borders, and the other at Shifnall, upon the east borders; these districts are adjacent to each other, and are connected with Staffordshire.

EMINENT AND LEARNED MEN

Shropshire may undoubtedly compete with any part of England, of the same dimensions, for the number of persons who have distinguished themselves by the diversity of their genius and talents, in different ages, in the field, in the regions of fancy, the pursuits of science, and in various branches of literature. Thomas Churchyard, Tom Brown, William Shenstone, Wycherly, &c. are not in the least esteem as poets. To William Caslon, and the late Alderman Boydell, letters and the fine arts are considerably indebted; to whom may be added, the names of several learned theologians, as Baxter, Whichcote, Farmer, and Hyde; lastly, Mr. Samuel Lee, who raised himself into notice a few years since by his uncommon proficiency in the Oriental languages, acquired by his own unassisted efforts. But the patronage that generally attends upon merit was not long withheld from him. T he Rev. S. Lee, of Queen’s College, Cambridge, was elected Professor of Arabic in 1819; where, in the summer of 1822, the editor of this work had the pleasure of being a witness to his profound erudition and the urbanity of his manners.

But to avoid any unnecessary deviation in our Biographical sketches, they will be found with the description of the towns, &c. that has given birth to these ornaments of their native soil.

Here we may properly refer to the just eulogium passed upon the liberality of the Salopians. See “Beauties of England, for Shropshire, page 143.” They who have visited our principal literary establishments in the metropolis, such as the London Institution, the British Museum, &c. must have experienced great inconvenience from the strict regulations which regard not only the admission into the libraries, but the use of the books they contain. In the London Institution the stranger is, in the first instance, to writedown the titles of the works he may have occasion to refer to, and he is entirely prohibited from taking down and replacing other works, which might casually aid him in collating authorities. No doubt these limitations have been rendered highly necessary by the many depredations from time to time committed upon this most valuable species of public property. But a more effectual, and not much more expensive mode of prevention, would be to increase the number of attendants in the several apartments, which would at the same time multiply the means of accommodation. Such a practice prevails in similar institutions in Paris; but, without going so far for an example, we may say, “they order these things better in Salop.” An attendant is always in waiting at the library at the Town-Hall, in Shrewsbury, for the purpose of receiving and exchanging the books of the subscribers, and for preventing any improper use of the volumes by those who come thereto read. A stranger of decent appearance, is not required to go through the formality of a written introduction, and he is at liberty to consult any of the books that are at hand, and to stay as long as he pleases, while the library is open.

The following Newspapers are printed in this county, Shrewsbury Chronicle, and Salopian Journal.

Titles bestowed by the County

Shrewsbury, the County town, gives that of Earl to the Talbots—Ludlow, that of viscount to the Clives—Oswestry, that of Baron to the Howards— Ellesmere, the same to the Egerton family—Clunn, the same to the Howards—Cherbury, the same to the Herberts—Harley, the same to that of Harley— Bradford, the same to the Bridgmans. The Clive are barons of Walcot; the Hills are barons of Berwick—Lord Hill is baron of Hawkstone, and Onslow gives the title of Earl to the Onslow family.

Quarter Sessions and Assizes

Four general quarter sessions and the assizes are held at the County hall, Shrewsbury, in the course of the year; and the Mayor and some of the Aldermen, who are magistrates, attend in the Exchequer here, every Tuesday, to administer Justice.

Civil and Ecclesiastical Divisions

Shropshire is divided into 15 hundreds, viz. Oswestry, Pimhill, North Bradford, South Bradford, Shrewsbury Liberty, Ford, Chirbury, Condover, Wenlock, and Franchise, Brimstrey Purslow, Munlow, Ouers and Stoddesdon; containing the following market towns, Shrewsbury the county town. Bishop’s Bastle, Bridgnorth, Ludlow, Wenlock, Broseley, Church Stretton, Cleobury, Drayton, Ellesmere, Madeley, Newport, Oswestry, Shiffnall, Wellington, Wem, and Whitchurch; and 615 villages; and 32,111 houses, occupied by 34,501 families. Shropshire is included in the Oxford circuit the province of Canterbury, and diocese of Hereford.

Topography of Great Britain, written: 1802-29 by George Alexander Cooke

Surnames Found in Shropshire

RankSurnameNo. of People% of Population
1Jones13,1615.20
2Davies6,9682.75
3Evans5,6242.22
4Williams4,6821.85
5Edwards3,8941.54
6Morris3,3611.33
7Roberts2,8411.12
8Price2,6171.03
9Griffiths2,3990.95
10Hughes2,3010.91
11Thomas2,2460.89
12Lloyd2,1790.86
13Lewis2,1580.85
14Smith2,1310.84
15Owen1,6870.67
16Taylor1,5270.60
17Morgan1,5110.60
18Brown1,5080.60
19Powell1,4940.59
20Rogers1,4710.58
21Richards1,3190.52
22Pugh1,1940.47
23James9360.37
24Phillips9040.36
25Harris8920.35
26Bowen8540.34
27Hall8390.33
28Bailey8130.32
29Turner7910.31
30Preece7880.31
31Davis7790.31
32Pritchard7790.31
33Hill7690.30
34Gough7670.30
35Ellis7300.29
36Cartwright7090.28
37Reynolds7030.28
38Ward6890.27
39Hayward6660.26
40Green6640.26
41Humphreys6630.26
42Cooper6590.26
43Wood6560.26
44Parry6500.26
45Bennett6300.25
46Walker6200.24
47Lowe6020.24
48Adams5950.23
49Howells5940.23
50Vaughan5880.23
51Robinson5570.22
52Pearce5470.22
53Fletcher5410.21
54Lee5210.21
55Downes5170.20
56Dodd5130.20
57Corfield4980.20
58Wright4970.20
59Harper4920.19
60Wall4900.19
61Poole4880.19
62Mansell4840.19
63Meredith4700.19
64Mason4680.18
65Ball4680.18
66Johnson4550.18
67Parker4530.18
68Clarke4460.18
69Martin4440.18
70Wilson4430.17
71Jackson4360.17
72Corbett4280.17
73Oliver4230.17
74Thompson4160.16
75Watkins4110.16
76Baker4100.16
77Rowley4080.16
78Fox4070.16
79Gittins4070.16
80George3950.16
81Parton3870.15
82Francis3810.15
83Edge3800.15
84Bradley3760.15
85Weaver3740.15
86Gregory3690.15
87Palmer3650.14
88Perry3630.14
89Butler3620.14
90Moore3540.14
91Allen3500.14
92Bright3490.14
93France3440.14
94Reeves3390.13
95Barker3360.13
96Carter3350.13
97Matthews3330.13
98Langford3290.13
99Cox3270.13
100Tudor3260.13