Spalding Genealogical Records

Spalding Birth & Baptism Records

England & Wales Birth Index (1837-2006)

An index to births registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of birth certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

St Mary & St Nicolas, Spalding Baptism Records (1538-1911)

Baptisms records for children living in and around St Mary & St Nicolas, Spalding, detail the names of their parents - their occupations and residence from 1538 to 1911.

Lincolnshire Bastardy Cases (1647-1849)

Records detailing the circumstances surrounding the birth of over 2,400 illegitimate children in Lincolnshire.

FreeBMD Births (1837-1957)

An index to births registered at the central authority for England & Wales. The index provides the area where the birth was registered, mother's maiden name from September 1911 and a reference to order a birth certificate.

British Army Birth Index (1761-2005)

An index to births registered to British Army personal at home and abroad.

Spalding Marriage & Divorce Records

England & Wales Marriage Index (1837-2008)

An index to marriages registered throughout England & Wales. This is the only national marriage index that allows you to search by both spouse's names. Provides a reference to order copies of marriage certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

St Mary & St Nicolas, Spalding Banns Records (1762-1825)

Banns registers list the names of people who intended to marry by the system of calling banns, in which the bride and groom's name were called for three weeks at church. At these callings objections could be made to a marriage. They record the bride and groom's parish of residence.

St Mary & St Nicolas, Spalding Marriage Records (1538-1887)

Details on those who married at St Mary & St Nicolas, Spalding between 1538 and 1887. Information given usually includes abode and marital status. After April 1837 father's names and ages are recorded.

Spalding Banns Records (1653-1656)

Banns registers list the names of people who intended to marry by the system of calling banns, in which the bride and groom's name were called for three weeks at church. At these callings objections could be made to a marriage. They record the bride and groom's parish of residence, which may be recorded differently in the marriage register.

Spalding Marriage Records (1550-1812)

A searchable transcript of the marriage registers of Spalding. Church marriage registers are the primary source for pre-1837 marriages. They may record the bride and groom's residence, the groom's occupation, parent's names, marital status and witnesses.

Spalding Death & Burial Records

England & Wales Death Index (1837-2006)

An index to deaths registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of death certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

St Mary & St Nicolas, Spalding Burial Records (1538-1911)

Burial registers are the primary source for death documentation before 1837, though are relevant to the present. They record the date someone was buried, their age & residence.

St Mary & St Nicholas, Spalding Burial Records (1813-1900)

An index of burials recorded at St Mary & St Nicholas, Spalding_. The index includes the name of the deceased, the date of burial, age (where available) and occasionally other notes.

Lincolnshire Workhouse Deaths (1866-1944)

Transcripts of documents recording nearly 10,000 deaths of inmates in the workhouses at Boston, Bourne, Gainsborough, Holbeach, Lincoln and Louth in Lincolnshire.

Lincolnshire Cemetery Registers (1854-1999)

Extracted entries for over 60,000 burials that occurred in municipal cemeteries.

Spalding Church Records

Spalding Parish Registers (1538-1911)

Prior to civil registration in 1837, the parish registers of Spalding are the most common place to turn for details on births, marriages and deaths.

Speculum of Lincoln and Stow Archdeaconries (1705-1732)

Records of religious houses in the archdeaconries of Lincoln & Stow.

Rolls & Register of Bishop Oliver Sutton (1280-1299)

Records detailing the administration of the Archdeaconry of Lincoln. Largely consists of memorandums regarding appointments.

Rolls & Register of Bishop Oliver Sutton, Vol. 2 (1280-1299)

Records detailing the administration of the Archdeaconry of Lincoln. Largely consists of memorandums regarding appointments.

Rolls & Register of Bishop Oliver Sutton, Vol. 3 (1280-1299)

Records detailing the administration of the Archdeaconry of Lincoln, largely consisting of the affairs of its clergy.

Spalding Census & Population Lists

England, Wales, IoM & Channel Islands 1911 Census (1911)

The 1911 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

1901 British Census (1901)

The 1901 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

1891 British Census (1891)

The 1891 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

1881 British Census (1881)

The 1881 census provides details on an individual's age, residence and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows for searches on multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

British Phone Books (1880-1984)

Directories containing over 275,000,000 entries. As well as name, address and phone number, occupations are often recorded. A useful census substitute.

Spalding Wills & Probate Records

England & Wales National Probate Calendar (1858-1966)

Searchable index and original images of over 12.5 million probates and administrations granted by civil registries. Entries usually include the testator's name, date of death, date of probate and registry. Names of relations may be given.

Early Lincoln Wills (1280-1547)

Abstracts of early wills, naming legates etc., from the Diocese of Lincoln, covering parts of Lincolnshire and surrounding counties.

Consistory Court of Lincoln Probate Index (1601-1652)

Index of wills proved in the Consistory Court of Lincoln. Provides a reference which can be used to locate records.

Calendars of Lincoln Wills (1601-1652)

A list of wills proved by the Consistory Court of Lincoln.

Consistory Court of Lincoln Administration Index (1540-1659)

Index of administration proved in the Consistory Court of Lincoln. Provides a reference which can be used to locate records.

Newspapers Covering Spalding

Stamford Mercury (1714-1895)

This fully searchable newspaper will provide a rich variety of information about the people and places of the Stamford district. Includes family announcements.

Lincolnshire Echo (1893-1911)

A searchable newspaper providing a rich variety of information about the people and places of the Lincolnshire district. Includes obituaries and family announcements.

Lincolnshire Chronicle (1838-1904)

A regional newspaper including news from the Lincolnshire district, business notices, family announcements, legal & governmental proceedings, advertisements and more.

Lincoln Gazetteer (1784-1785)

A very rare early newspaper covering the Lincoln area. Original images, searchable by an OCR index.

The Daily Herald (1926)

A London newspaper that later became The Sun.

Spalding Obituaries

iAnnounce Obituaries (2006-Present)

The UKs largest repository of obituaries, containing millions of searchable notices.

United Kingdom and Ireland Obituary Collection (1882-Present)

A growing collection currently containing over 425,000 abstracts of obituaries with reference to the location of the full obituary.

Quakers Annual Monitor (1847-1848)

A collection of 364 obituaries of Quakers from the British Isles. The volume was published in 1849 and includes obituaries of those who died in late 1847 through 1848.

Musgrave's Obituaries (1421-1800)

This transcribed and searchable work by Sir William Musgrave contains 10,000s of brief obituaries. The work is a reference point for other works containing information on an individual.

British Medical Journal (1849-Present)

A text index and digital images of all editions of a journal containing medical articles and obituaries of medical practitioners.

Spalding Cemeteries

Lincolnshire Church Notes (1300-1840)

Notes regarding churches in Lincolnshire, with extensive transcriptions of memorials in the churches.

Lincolnshire Cemetery Registers (1854-1999)

Extracted entries for over 60,000 burials that occurred in municipal cemeteries.

Lincolnshire Monumental Inscriptions (1600-1995)

An index to vital details engraved on over 30,000 gravestones and other monuments across the county of Lincoln.

Lincolnshire Church Monuments (1300-1900)

Photographs and descriptions of Lincolnshire's most illustrious church monuments, often featuring effigies, medieval inscriptions and heraldic devices.

Deceased Online (1629-Present)

Images of millions of pages from cemetery and crematoria registers, photographs of memorials, cemetery plans and more. Records can be search by a name index.

Spalding Directories & Gazetteers

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire (1930)

A directory of settlements in Lincolnshire detailing their history, agriculture, topography, economy and leading commercial, professional and private residents.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire (1930)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key contemporary and historical facts. Each place has a list of residents and businesses. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire (1926)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key contemporary and historical facts. Each place has a list of residents and businesses. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire (1922)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key contemporary and historical facts. Each place has a list of residents and businesses. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire (1919)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key contemporary and historical facts. Each place has a list of residents and businesses. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions.

Lincolnshire Settlement Certificates (1675-1860)

Transcriptions of 8,600 certificates that allowed people to return to a parish if a parish they moved to ejected them. Useful for tracing the migration of poorer citizens.

Lincolnshire Final Concords (1244-1272)

Abstracts of records that detail land conveyances.

Kesteven Quarter Sessions (1674-1695)

Transcriptions of court records relating to disputes and crimes in the county.

Kesteven Quarter Sessions, Vol. 2 (1674-1695)

Transcriptions of court records relating to disputes and crimes in the county.

Lincolnshire Sessions of the Peace (1381-1396)

Transcripts of legal records documenting minor legal disputes in the districts of Kesteven & Holland.

Spalding Taxation Records

Lincolnshire Domesday & Lindsey Survey (1066-1118)

A transcription of the Lincolnshire section of the Domesday Book, which records land ownership, use and value in the late 11th century; and similar survey completed in 1118.

Land Tax Redemption (1798-1811)

This vital collection details almost 1.2 million properties eligible for land tax. Records include the name of the landowner, occupier, amount assessed and sometimes the name and/or description of the property. It is a useful starting point for locating relevant estate records and establishing the succession of tenancies and freehold. Most records cover 1798, but some extend up to 1811.

Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures (1710-1811)

An index linked to original images of registers recording apprenticeship indentures. Details are given on the trade and nature of apprenticeship. Many records list the parents of the apprentice.

Red Book of the Exchequer (1066-1230)

A compilation of records from the Court of the Exchequer primarily dealing with taxes and land. These records are in Latin.

Index to Death Duty Registers (1796-1903)

An index to wills and administrations that incurred a death duty tax. The index can be used to order documents that give a brief abstract of the will and details on the duty. It can be used as a make-shift probate index.

Spalding Land & Property Records

Lincolnshire Final Concords (1244-1272)

Abstracts of records that detail land conveyances.

Lincolnshire Domesday Records (1086)

An English translation of Lincolnshire doomsday records. This transcripts details the county's landowners in 1086.

Lincolnshire Domesday & Lindsey Survey (1066-1118)

A transcription of the Lincolnshire section of the Domesday Book, which records land ownership, use and value in the late 11th century; and similar survey completed in 1118.

Lincolnshire Assize Rolls (1202-1209)

Early legal records, largely covering serious cases referred by lower courts. Many entries record transfers and disputes relating to land.

Lincolnshire Assize Roll (1298)

Early legal records, largely covering serious cases refereed by lower courts. Many entries record transfers and disputes relating to land.

Spalding Occupation & Business Records

Lincolnshire Parish Apprentice Indentures (1618-1925)

Abstracts of apprenticeship indentures initiated by parishes in Lincolnshire. These records provide details on parents' names and occupations.

Smuggling on the East Coast (1600-1892)

An introduction to smuggling on the east coast of England, with details of the act in various regions.

Lincolnshire Post Offices (1770-Present)

Profiles of Lincolnshire post offices, including details of those who worked there.

Midlands Mines Index (1896)

Profiles of coal and metal mines in the Midlands region of England.

Lost Pubs of Lincolnshire (1750-Present)

Short histories of former public houses, with photographs and lists of owners or operators.

Spalding School & Education Records

Teacher's Registration Council Registers (1870-1948)

A name index linked to original images of registers recording the education and careers of teachers in England & Wales.

Oxford University Alumni (1500-1886)

A name index linked to original images of short biographies for over 120,000 Oxford University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge University Alumni (1261-1900)

A transcript of a vast scholarly work briefly chronicling the heritage, education and careers of over 150,000 Cambridge University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge Alumni Database (1198-1910)

A searchable database containing over 90,000 note-form biographies for students of Cambridge University.

Dissenting Academy Database (1660-1860)

Histories of schools operated by non-conformist clergy.

Pedigrees & Family Trees Covering Spalding

Victoria County History: Lincolnshire (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

Visitation of Religious Houses in Lincoln Diocese (1436-1449)

Records detailing the history of religious houses in the Diocese of Lincoln.

The Visitation of the County of Lincoln (1400-1666)

Pedigrees of some of the country's gentry families.

British & Irish Royal & Noble Genealogies (491-1603)

Extensive and impeccably sourced genealogies for British, Irish & Manx royalty and nobility. Scroll down to 'British Isles' for relevant sections.

FamilySearch Community Trees (6000 BC-Present)

A searchable database of linked genealogies compiled from thousands of reputable and not-so-reputable sources. Contains many details on European gentry & nobility, but covers many countries outside Europe and people from all walks of life.

Spalding Royalty, Nobility & Heraldry Records

Victoria County History: Lincolnshire (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

Visitation of Religious Houses in Lincoln Diocese (1436-1449)

Records detailing the history of religious houses in the Diocese of Lincoln.

The Visitation of the County of Lincoln (1400-1666)

Pedigrees of some of the country's gentry families.

Lincolnshire Church Monuments (1300-1900)

Photographs and descriptions of Lincolnshire's most illustrious church monuments, often featuring effigies, medieval inscriptions and heraldic devices.

British & Irish Royal & Noble Genealogies (491-1603)

Extensive and impeccably sourced genealogies for British, Irish & Manx royalty and nobility. Scroll down to 'British Isles' for relevant sections.

Spalding Military Records

Prisoners of War of British Army (1939-1945)

A searchable list of over 100,000 British Army POWs. Records contains details on the captured, their military career and where they were held prisoner.

British Prisoners of World War II (1939-1945)

Details on around 165,000 men serving in the British Army, Navy and Air Force who were held as prisoners during WWII.

British Army WWI Medal Rolls (1914-1920)

Index and original images of over 5 million medal index cards for British soldiers It can be searched by individual's name, Coprs, Unit and Regiment. Due to the loss of many WWI service records, this is the most complete source for British WWI soldiers

British Army WWI Service Records (1914-1920)

This rich collection contains contains records for 1.9 million non-commissioned officers and other ranks who fought in WWI. Due to bomb damage in WWI, around 60% of service records were lost. Documents cover: enlistment, medical status, injuries, conduct, awards and discharge. A great deal of genealogical and biographical documentation can be found in these documents, including details on entire families, physical descriptions and place of birth.

Silver War Badges (1914-1920)

An index to nearly 900,000 military personnel who were awarded the Silver War Badge for sustaining injures. Records include rank, regimental number, unit, dates of enlistment and discharge, and reason for discharge.

Spalding Immigration & Travel Records

Lincolnshire Settlement Certificates (1675-1860)

Transcriptions of 8,600 certificates that allowed people to return to a parish if a parish they moved to ejected them. Useful for tracing the migration of poorer citizens.

Lincolnshire Settlement Examinations (1721-1865)

Over 5,000 documents in which an individual was examined to establish which parish they could be returned to if they became a burden.

Passenger Lists Leaving UK (1890-1960)

A name index connected to original images of passenger lists recording people travelling from Britain to destinations outside Europe. Records may detail a passenger's age or date of birth, residence, occupation, destination and more.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists (1878-1960)

A full index of passenger lists for vessels arriving in the UK linked to original images. Does not include lists from vessels sailing from European ports. Early entries can be brief, but later entries may include dates of births, occupations, home addresses and more. Useful for documenting immigration.

Alien Arrivals in England (1810-1869)

Details on over 600,000 non-British citizens arriving in England. Often includes age and professions. Useful for discerning the origin of immigrants.

Spalding Histories & Books

Lincolnshire Domesday Records (1086)

An English translation of Lincolnshire doomsday records. This transcripts details the county's landowners in 1086.

Victoria County History: Lincolnshire (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

Lincolnshire Church Photographs (1890-Present)

Photographs and images of churches in Lincolnshire.

Sewer Records in the Parts of Holland (1547-1603)

A transcription of records detailing sewage, drainage, dyking and other facets of managing waste and waters.

Lincolnshire Church Photographs (1960-Present)

Photographs of Anglican and other denominational churches in the county of Lincolnshire.

Biographical Directories Covering Spalding

Oxford University Alumni (1500-1886)

A name index linked to original images of short biographies for over 120,000 Oxford University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge University Alumni (1261-1900)

A transcript of a vast scholarly work briefly chronicling the heritage, education and careers of over 150,000 Cambridge University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Crockford's Clerical Directories (1868-1914)

Brief biographies of Anglican clergy in the UK.

The Concise Dictionary of National Biography (1654-1930)

A directory containing lengthy biographies of noted British figures. The work took over two decades to compile. Biographies can be searched by name and are linked to images of the original publication.

Church of England Clergy Database (1500-1835)

A database of CoE clergy, giving details of their education of service. Contains references to source documents. Also contains profiles of various church institutions.

Spalding Maps

Maps of Lincolnshire (1617-1922)

Digital images of maps covering the county.

Ordnance Survey 1:10 Maps (1840-1890)

Maps showing settlements, features and some buildings in mainland Britain.

A Vision of Britain (1190-Present)

A sprawling website setting out and describing the historical divisions of Britain. Also contains countless maps of various sorts. Covers the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man & has fleeting details of other localities.

Ordnance Survey One-inch to the Mile Maps (1945-1947)

High-quality digital reproductions of maps plotting, settlements, roads, natural features and other features in England & Wales.

Speed's Maps of Britain (1612)

County and national maps covering the British Isles, extracted from John Speed's landmark work, Theatre of the Empire of Great Britain.

Spalding Reference Works

Lincolnshire Geographic Names (2005)

Descriptions of common Lincolnshire place name elements and some of the best known places in the county.

England Research Guide (1538-Present)

A beginner’s guide to researching ancestry in England.

Parish Register Abstract (1538-1812)

Compiled in 1831, this book details the coverage and condition of parish registers in England & Wales.

Building History Research Guide (1066-Present)

A comprehensive guide to researching the history of buildings in the British Isles.

Surname Origins (1790-1911)

A service that provides advanced and custom surname maps for the British Isles and the US.

Spalding Information

Civil & Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction:

Historical Description

Spalding, an ancient and considerable market town, seated near the mouth of the river Welland. From its neatness, and from the canals in the streets, it has not inappropriately been compared to a Dutch town. Here are some small remains of a monastery, &c.

A court-leet and court-baron are held at this town in the spring and autumn of every year.

The church is an ancient light structure, built in the year 1284; its beautiful porch, however, appears to have been added about the end of the fifteenth century.

The river Welland is navigable through the town, and has a bridge over it with a small port, to which vessels of fifty or sixty tons may come up. It has a free grammar-school for the natives, and a charity-school. Some alms-houses have likewise lately been rebuilt.

Topography of Great Britain, written: 1802-29 by George Alexander Cooke

SPALDING is a seaport, market and union town and pirish, with a station on the East Lincolnshire branch of the Great Northern railway, 14 miles south from Boston, 45 south-east from Lincoln, 17 north from Peterborough, 20 cast from Stamford, 10 east from Bourne and 93 from London, and is head of a county court district, in the Holland division of the comity, wapentake and petty sessional division of Elloe, parts of Holland, rural deanery of West Elloe, and archdeaconry and diocese of Lincoln. Spalding is a member of the port of Boston, and is the port for Stamford, Market Deeping and Crowland, having water communication with the whole county. The river Welland runs through the town, dividing it into two portions, the larger of which is on the north bank; it is navigable for vessels of 120 tons, by which means a trade in coal, oil-cake and timber is carried on: the course of the river, extending in a comparatively straight line for 2 miles, constitutes the remains of highest antiquity about Spalding, for the embankments on each side of the arm of the sea or Wash, beginning from the Marsh Rails, are undoubtedly the work of the Romans. The Great Northern railway has branch lines from here to Peterboro’. Bourne and Stamford, Holbeach and Lynn, and also to March, the East Lincolnshire lino giving access to Boston, Louth, Grimsby and Hull. The Great Eastern and Great Northern joint line hence to Doncaster, passes through Sleaford, Lincoln and Gainsborough, giving direct communication between the Eastern Counties and the north. A branch line of the Midland and Great Northern joint railways from Bourne to Spalding, constructed in 1893, connects the existing lines with the Eastern counties, including the ports of Lynn and Sutton Bridge, thus opening up direct communication with the Midlands. The High Bridge over the Welland was rebuilt in 1838; there are five other bridges, but for foot passengers only.

The town is not incorporated but was under the control of a board of Commissioners under the “Spalding Improvement Act of 1853,” but under the provisions of the “Local Government Act, 1894” (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), it is now governed by an Urban District Council of 15 members, and divided into five wards. An Act was passed in the year 1860 for supplying the town with water, which is conducted in pipes from Bourne; the works are close to the town, on the Road to Pinchbeck, the capital is £13,000, raised in shares of £10 each The town is lighted with gas from works the property of the Urban District Council.

The parish church of SS. Mary and Nicholas is spacious building, originally Early English, and rebuilt in 1294, but with many alterations in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, some later portions being of Post Reformation date: the plan is complex and anomalous, but, in its original arrangement, it consisted of chancel with south aisle, nave with aisles, transept with eastern and western aisles, north porch and an embattled Perpendicular tower, with pinnacles and spire, attached to the western bay of the south aisle, and containing clock and 8 bells: to this structure a large rectangular chapel, dedicated to SS. Mary and Thomas a Becket, has been added on the south-east, occupying a portion of the eastern aisle of the transept, and was in 1895 thrown into the body of the church: the eastern portion of the nave aisles was also doubled and a south porch with turret erected; the total length is 157 feet, and the width, at the transept, which corresponds in this respect to the double aisle of the nave, 92 feet 6 inches: there are monuments to the Johnson and other families, and nearly all the windows are stained, several being memorials: the church was extensively repaired and restored by the late Sir G. G. Scott R.A. in the year 1865, at a cost of £10,000, and further restored in 1886 at a cost of £900, including St. Thomas a Becket's or the Lady chapel, on the south side, restored by Canon, E. Moore and Theophilus M. S. Johnson esq.: there are 1,200 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1538; marriages, 1550. The living is a perpetual curacy, gross yearly value £900, net £575, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Maurice Howard Marsden MA. of St. John’s College, Cambridge.

The ecclesiastical parish of St. John the Baptist was formed December 1, 1874, from the civil parishes of Spalding and Pinchbeck. The church at Hawthorn Bank, erected in 1875 by Miss Johnson at a cost of £12,000, from designs by R. J. Withers esq. Adam street, Adelphi, London, is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, crypt, vestry, organ chamber, south porch and a turret containing a clock and 2 bells: there are 450 sittings. The register dates from the year 1875. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £360, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Augustus William George Moore MA. of St. John’s College, Cambridge.

The ecclesiastical parish of St. Paul, Fulney, was formed Dec. 21, 1877, from the civil parish of Spalding. The church, together with a vicarage and Sunday school, was erected in 1880, the church at a cost of £16,000, and the whole at a cost of £40,000. defrayed by Miss Charinton, who also endowed it with £300 a year, £50 being added by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church is a building of red brick and Ancaster stone, in the Early English style, after designs by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. and consists of clerestoried nave, aisles, vestry, south porch and a western tower with pinnacles and spire 129 feet high, containing a clock and 8 bells: there are sedilia and piscina: the font is of Mansfield Woodhouse stone with Purbeck marble shafts, and the pulpit is of Carved oak on a stone base: there are sittings for 350 persons. The register dates from the year 1880. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £350 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln and the perpetual curate of Spalding alternately, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Richard Guy Ash MA. of Wadham College, Oxford, and chaplain of Spalding union, The church of St. Peter, in the Abbey gardens, is a building of red brick in the Early English style, erected in the year 1875—6 at a cost of £10,000, from designs by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, vestry, north porch, organ chamber and a turret containing one bell: the east window is stained: this church is served from that of SS. Mary and Nicholas: there are 500 sittings.

The Catholic church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception and St. Norbert, in Henrietta street, built in 1876 and enlarged in 1879, is a plain edifice of red brick in the Early English style, consisting of nave and a turret containing one bell: some of the windows are stained.

Here is a Friends' meeting-house, and nine chapels of various denominations, viz.: two Congregational, two Primitive Methodist, two General Baptist, one Baptist (Ebenezer), one Wesleyan Methodist and a Free Methodist chapel, and meeting-rooms for the Christadelphians and the Plymouth Brethren.

The Cemetery, about half a mile from the town, was formed at a cost of about £4,500, including the purchase of land and the erection of the two chapels: an additional piece of land, about 2 acres in extent, was purchased in 1876, and the whole is now under the control of the Urban District Council.

The Corn Exchange, erected in 1855—6 by the former Improvement Commissioners at a cost of nearly £3,000, is a building in the Elizabethan style, with an illuminated clock: the exchange-room, which is 73 feet long and 43. broad, is fitted with stands for corn merchants, and provided with a movable platform: it is let for various public purposes, and one of the annexed rooms is let to the friendly societies at a nominal charge for their periodical meetings: close to the Exchange is the Butter Market, opened in 1857, and since much enlarged and improved.

The Sessions House, in the Sheep Market, was erected in the year 1842, at a cost of £6,000: quarter and petty sessions are held here for the parts of Holland.

The Masonic Hall is in Pinchbeck street.

The Drill Hall for the F Company 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment, in the Sheep market, was erected in 1890, and is a red brick building with stone facings, standing on ground 125 by 48 feet: it consists of a large hall about 75 by 45 feet, with a fixed stage, armoury, orderly and other rooms; the hall is also let for concerts, dramatic and other entertainments, for which it is well adapted.

The town carries on a trade in corn, meal, flour, timber and cake. There are several steam and wind mills for grinding corn. Lange quantities of fruit and vegetables are also sent over the Great Northern and Great, Eastern railways to the London markets and manufacturing districts.

The Town Commissioners purchased the market tolls, formerly belonging to the lord of the manor, for the sum of about £4,000; the market place was paved with granite in 1876, and the sheep market with asphalte, and permanent iron pens erected.

The market day is Tuesday for corn, cattle, sheep, fowls, vegetables and dairy produce; and on Saturday, vegetables and fruits are sold.

Five yearly fairs are held for cattle and merchandise, viz. the first Tuesday after Lincoln fair (April), last Tuesdays in June and August, and September 25th, and on the Friday before the London great Christina market; also a statute fair for hiring servants in May.

In Hall place is a fountain, the gift of the late Miss M. A. Johnson.

The Police Station was erected in 1858, at a cost of £1,400.

There are three banks, and also a savings bank. There are also two hotels.

The “Lincolnshire, Boston and Spalding Free Press” is published every Tuesday by Henry Watkinson; and the “Spalding Guardian” every Saturday, by R. Winfrey.

The Club House, in Broad street, belongs to the Spalding Club Company Limited, which has a capital of £2,500, in 250 shares of £10 each; it was opened in August, 1875, and contains reading, smoking and billiard rooms; there are about 140 members.

The Christian Association and Literary Institute, in Spring gardens, and opened in the year 1875, is a building of red brick in the French Gothic style, and contains lecture hall, reading and class rooms, with a library of 1,600 volumes, and residence for the caretaker.

The Spalding Mechanics' Institute, in Red Lion street, and established in 1845; contains reading rooms and a library of nearly 1,800 books; during the year 1888 the library was remodelled and the sum of £50 expended on new books.

The Spaldings Gentlemen’s Society is an antiquarian and literary society, founded by Maurice Johnson, esq. then residing at Ayscoughfee Hall, in this town, a man of considerable note and one of the founders and the first librarian of the Society of Antiquaries in London. The Spalding society was founded in 1710, seven years before the formation of the larger society. Among its earliest members were Sir Isaac Newton, Dr. William Stukeley, the well-known antiquary, George Vertue, the engraver to the Society of Antiquaries and one of the first members of the Academy of Painting, Sir Hans, Sloane, president of the Royal Society, Collins the land scape painter, Browne Willis, the antiquary; the poets Pope, Gray and Addison, and Roger and Samuel Gale. The society has acquired a valuable collection of ancient books, manuscripts and engravings, as well as a small museum. Meetings have been held only at irregular intervals, but recently the society has been reorganized, and now numbers over 70 members, and has the support of some of the most eminent scholars of the present clay; members now meet quarterly in the board room of the Johnson Hospital, when papers are read, on antiquarian and literary subjects, whilst articles of great interest are often exhibited.

Gamlyn’s Almshouses, for 34 men and women, founded by Sir John Gamlyn, in the year 1650, were rebuilt in 1844 in the Gothic style: each inmate receives 3s. 6d. weekly and one ton of coals yearly. The almshouses founded by William Willesby have been taken down, and a sum of £60 is now equally divided amongst six persons, male or female annually. Mrs. E. Sparke's almshouses for six widows were rebuilt in 1812; each inmate receives 3s. 6d. weekly. The charities for distribution amount to about £200 yearly.

The Johnson Hospital, built in 1881, and partially endowed from bequests of the late Misses E. A. and M. A. Johnson (from whom the hospital takes its name), at a cost of £4,000, is a plain building of red brick, faced with Bath stone, in the Domestic Gothic style, and contains six wards, three for males and three for females, and has 24 beds.

The Spalding Infirmary and Dispensary, established in 1839, has rooms in the Johnson Hospital; the number of patients attended for the year ending May 1st, 1895, was about 400.

Spalding, as a town, existed before Crowland, and its Central position in the Mercian kingdom led to the erection, of a caste, the site of which was at the north entrance to the town on the east side; some vestiges of the moat may be distinguished, and a fetter-lock preserved on the spot is believed to have been the veritable lock of the castle of Ivo Taillebois, Earl of Angers, and nephew of the Conqueror, who resided here, and dying about 1114, was buried in the conventual church.

There are some 15th century remains of the outbuildings of the ancient Benedictine priory of SS. Mary and Nicholas, founded in 1051 by Thorold de Bokenhale, lieutenant of his father, the Duke of Mercia; these are now incorporated into dwelling houses, and consist of a turret staircase, the dormitory, an octagonal turret or prison end portions of the moat: at its dissolution there were 20 monks, and revenues estimated at £767.

“Fulney Farm house,” 1 ½ miles south-east from the town, is a very ancient structure, erected in 1080, and is supposed to have been the dairy farm of the monastery; it is built with a mixture bricks, stone and concrete, its walls being 3 feet thick, and in capital preservation; the upper part of the house is supported on a groined lower story, and was at one time approached by a stone staircase outside the building on the south side; there are still traces of the moat and fishpond, by which the building was surrounded; it is at present occupied by a farm bailiff.

Fulney House, 1 ½ miles east of the town, is a handsome brick mansion, surrounded by extensive pleasure grounds, and is the seat of Mrs. Everard.

The trustees of the late Maurice Johnson esq. and C. F. Bonner esq. are lords of Spalding manor; Richard Buckworth esq. of Cockley Cley, Swaffham, is lord of the manor of Spalding Crowland; C. E. Bonner esq. steward. The land is mostly held by small free holders.

The land produces large quantities of wheat, oats and market garden produce, also roots, beans and peas; there is also a fair proportion of fine grazing land. The area is 10,701 acres of land, 51 of water, 35 of tidal water and 24 of foreshore; rateable value, £42,159; the population in 1891 was 9,007, including 98 officers and inmates in the workhouse and 20 in the Johnson Hospital.

Wykeham is an estate in Spalding parish, 3 miles north-east from the parish church, and adjoins the parish of Weston St. Mary: here are the remains of a domestic chapel built by Clement Hatfield, prior of Spalding, and finished in 1311; it is an exact parallelogram of ashlar, 43 by 22 feet, disposed in three bays, marked by deeply projecting buttresses; the east window is Perpendicular, but the rest are either imperfect or bricked up; a lychnoscope and sedilia are also covered in a similar way, and on either side of the east window are two elegant niches; at the south-west comer is an excellent stone spiral staircase, which communicated with the domestic buildings. Wykeham chapel is a sinecure donative benefice, endowed with 12 ½ acres of glebe, net yearly value £19, in the gift of the governors of Spalding Grammar School, and held since 1894 by the Rev. Edward Martin Tweed MA. headmaster of the Grammar school. Henry Everard esq. of Newbold Lawn, Leamington, and Edward Montague Earle-Welby esq. of Norton House, near Sheffield, are the owners of the Wykeham estate.

Petty Sessions are held at the Sessions house every alternate Tuesday at 11 a.m. Places in the petty sessional division are:-Cowbit, Crowland, Deeping St. Nicholas, Fleet, Gedney, Gedney Hill, Holbeach, Lutton, otherwise Sutton St. Nicholas, Moulton, Pinchbeck, Spalding, Sutton Bridge, Sutton St. Edmund, Sutton St. James, Long Sutton, Little Sutton, Tydd St. Mary, Weston St. Mary, Whaplode, Whaplode Drove, Central Wingland.

Spalding Union

Board day, alternate Mondays, at the Workhouse, at 11.30 a.m.

Spalding union comprises the ten parishes of Cowbit, Deeping St. Nicholas, Donington, Gosberton, Moulton, Pinchbeck, Quadring, Spalding, Surfleet & Weston. The population of the union in 1891 was 21,726; area 82,003 acres; rateable value in 1896, £163,233.

The Workhouse, a large structure of red brick, about half a mile from the town, on the road to Pinchbeck, was erected in 1835, & will hold 403 inmates; the schools & infirmary are separate from the main building: the children now attend the board school.

Places of Worship, with times of services

SS. Mary & Nicholas Church, Church street, Rev. Maurice Howard Marsden MA. incumbent; Rev. William Disney B.A. & Rev. Herbert Mackturk MA. curates; 8 & 10.30 a.m. & 3 & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 8 a.m. & 4.30 p.m.; Wed. & Fri. 11 a.m. & 7.30 p.m.

St. John the Baptist Church, Hawthorn Bank, Rev. Augustus William George Moore MA. vicar; 8, 10.15 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily 8 a.m. & 7 p.m.

St. Peter’s Church, Abbey grounds, served from SS.Mary & Nicholas; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.

St. Paul’s, Fulney, Rev. Richard Guy Ash MA. vicar; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.

Immaculate Conception & St. Norbert Catholic Church, Henerietta street, Rev. H. Thomas Van Bieson C.R.P. Rev. Frederick Van Santen C.R.P. & Rev. Gabriel Bertram C.R.P. priests; mass, 10.30 a.m.; evening service, 6.30 p.m. sun.; daily mass, 7, 7.30 & 8 a.m.

Friendis’ Meeting House, Double street; 10.30 a.m. &, 3 p.m.; Thur. 11 a.m.

Baptist, Chapel lane, Rev. John Chatwin Jones MA.; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.15.

Baptist, Spalding common; 6.30 p.m.

Calvinist, Love lane, 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.

Congregational, Pinchbeck street, Rev. Samuel Yates, 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.

Congregational, Holbeach road; 6.30 p.m.

Primitive Methodist, St. Thomas's road, Rev. John Wm. Lisle; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7.30 p.m.

Christadelphian Mechanics’ Institute, Red Lion street; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.

Primitive Methodist, Little London; 2.30 & 6.30 p.m. United Methodist Free Church, Crescent, Rev. Samuel Sellars; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7 p.m.

Wesleyan Methodist, Broad street, Rev. Joseph B. Alger & Rev. John T. Marquand; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7 p.m.

Schools

The Free Grammar School, Priory road, founded in 1588 by Sir John: Gamlyn, was removed to its present site in 1881; the buildings, constructed of red brick, faced with Ancaster stone, in the Queen Anne style, surround a courtyard, the master’s house occupying the south & west fronts; the school has a yearly endowment of £280, out of which the governors have to provide for the management of the Willesby School; £30 a year is given for scholarships from the Willesby School & £30 for scholarships at all the Elementary schools, all these being tenable at the Grammar School; there are now (1896) about 40 boys, the premises being designed for 25 boarders & 58 day scholars.

A School Board of 7 members was formed Nov. 27, 1877; Arthur Percival, Double street, clerk to the board; Wm. Proctor, 112 Winsover road, attendance officer; the board meet at the Central school every third Thursday in the month at 2 p.m.

Central Board, Westode street, erected in 1879, for 400 children, & enlarged in 1890—92, will now hold 760 children; average attendance, 200 boys, 220 girls & 150 infants.

Marsh Board, The Marsh (mixed), Miss Acum, mistress.

Blue Coat, Church street, founded in 1710; average attendance, 30 boys & 30 girls, all of whom are taught free.

Willesby’s, Winsover road (boys), founded in 1682 by William Willesby; it will hold 156 children; average attendance, 148.

National, Church street (boys, girls, mixed junior & infants), erected in 1845 on a site near the church at a cost of £1,600, since enlarged & a girls’ school room & new school for mixed junior added; it will now hold 625 children; average attendance, 600; & supported by voluntary contribution.

Goodfellow’s National, Spalding common (mixed), erected in 1872 at a cost of £1,600, for 150 children; average attendance, 145; & supported by voluntary contributions.

St. John the Baptists Hawthorn bank, erected in 1875, & since enlarged, for 220 children; average attendance, 112.

St. Norbert’s Catholic (mixed), Henrietta street, erected in 1876; average attendance, 30.

Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire (1896)

Surnames Found in Spalding

RankSurnameNo. of People% of Population
1Smith2702.91
2Taylor900.97
3Wilson900.97
4Brown840.91
5Johnson780.84
6Walker700.75
7Wright640.69
8Robinson630.68
9Dawson480.52
10Hardy470.51
11Bailey440.47
12Harrison430.46
13White420.45
14Cooper380.41
15Carter380.41
16Andrew380.41
17Cook370.40
18Barker370.40
19Willson350.38
20Kitchen340.37
21Jones330.36
22Reynolds330.36
23Clark300.32
24Green290.31
25Watson290.31
26Mitchell290.31
27Atkinson290.31
28Bates280.30
29Sharman270.29
30Moore260.28
31Barnes250.27
32Palmer250.27
33Andrews250.27
34Armstrong250.27
35Arnold250.27
36Swift250.27
37Brightman250.27
38Stennett250.27
39Waltham250.27
40Wade240.26
41Warner240.26
42Dalton240.26
43Pretty240.26
44Hurling240.26
45Bennett230.25
46Tomlinson230.25
47Nichols230.25
48Stanton230.25
49Royce230.25
50Winkley230.25
51Turner220.24
52Marshall220.24
53Collins220.24
54Chapman220.24
55Cole220.24
56Hayes220.24
57Barnett220.24
58Woolley220.24
59Arch220.24
60Morris210.23
61Williamson210.23
62Jarvis210.23
63Perkins210.23
64Barratt210.23
65Enderby210.23
66Grooby210.23
67Scott200.22
68Bright200.22
69Vine200.22
70Hall190.20
71Peck190.20
72Storr190.20
73Stimson190.20
74James180.19
75Mason180.19
76West180.19
77Rose180.19
78Stevenson180.19
79Cross180.19
80Cotton180.19
81Pick180.19
82Laming180.19
83Lill180.19
84Bantree180.19
85Ward170.18
86Gibson170.18
87Lane170.18
88Goodwin170.18
89Wallis170.18
90Rodgers170.18
91Fairbanks170.18
92Crust170.18
93Batterham170.18
94Bimrose170.18
95Davis160.17
96Simpson160.17
97Foster160.17
98Shepherd160.17
99Pratt160.17
100Parkinson160.17