Todmorden Genealogical Records
Todmorden Birth & Baptism Records
An index to births registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of birth certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.
Baptisms records for children living in and around Cornholme, St Michael & All Angels, Todmorden, detail the names of their parents - their occupations and residence from 1903 to 1910.
Baptism registers are the primary source for birth documentation before 1837, though are relevant to the present. They record the date a child was baptised, their parent's names, occupations, residence and more.
Baptism registers record the baptism of those born in and around Harley Wood, All Saints, Todmorden and were subsequently baptised in an Anglican place of worship. They are the primary source of birth details before 1837, though are useful to the present. Records can include name of child, parent's names, residence, occupations and more.
Baptism records from people born in and around Todmorden between 1832 and 1910. Lists the name of people's parent's and other details.
Todmorden Marriage & Divorce Records
An index to marriages registered throughout England & Wales. This is the only national marriage index that allows you to search by both spouse's names. Provides a reference to order copies of marriage certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.
Marriage records from people who married at Cornholme, St Michael & All Angels, Todmorden between 1903 and 1935. Lists an individual's abode, marital status and more.
Details on those who married at St Mary, Todmorden between 1864 and 1935. Information given usually includes abode and marital status. After April 1837 father's names and ages are recorded.
Marriage records from people who married at Cross Stone, St Paul, Todmorden between 1837 and 1935. Lists an individual's abode, marital status and more.
Marriage registers record Anglican marriages in Christ Church, Todmorden. They are the primary marriage document before 1837 and contain the same details as marriage certificates from then on.
Todmorden Death & Burial Records
An index to deaths registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of death certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.
Name index linked to original images of the burial registers of St Mary, Todmorden. Records document an individual's date of death and/or burial, age and residence. Some records may contain the names of relations, cause of death and more.
Records of burial for people buried at Cross Stone, St Paul, Todmorden between 1813 and 1970. Details include the deceased's name, residence and age. Some records may contain the names of relations, cause of death and more.
Burial records for people buried at Christ Church, Todmorden between 1813 and 1969. Lists the deceased's name, residence and age. Some records may contain the names of relations, cause of death and more.
Records of burial for people buried at Cross Stone, Todmorden between 1794 and 1806. Details include the deceased's name, residence and age.
Todmorden Church Records
The parish registers of Todmorden are a collection of books documenting baptisms, marriages and burials from 1675 to 1983.
The parish registers of Todmorden are a collection of books essentially documenting births, marriages and deaths. Their records can assist tracing a family as far back as 1500.
The parish registers of Todmorden are a collection of books essentially documenting births, marriages and deaths. Their records can assist tracing a family as far back as 1781.
Prior to civil registration in 1837, the parish registers of Todmorden are the most common place to turn for details on births, marriages and deaths.
Todmorden Census & Population Lists
The 1911 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.
A history of the Chartist Cooperative Land Society, which aimed to settle chartists on smallholdings. Also includes a list of over 5,000 chartist sympathizers in Lancashire.
Todmorden Wills & Probate Records
Searchable index and original images of over 12.5 million probates and administrations granted by civil registries. Entries usually include the testator's name, date of death, date of probate and registry. Names of relations may be given.
A searchable index of testators connected to original images of their will and any probate documents. These records can help trace your Cheshire ancestors back to the 15th century.
A calendar of probate, admon and testamentary depositions from Chester Diocese. The latter, deposition, are sworn statements at testamentary trials.
An index to wills, proved by the Derby Probate Registry. Index includes name, residence and year of probate. Contains entries for Yorkshire, Cheshire, Lancashire, Staffordshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and other counties.
Newspapers Covering Todmorden
A database allowing full text searches of a newspaper covering local news, family announcements, obituaries, court proceedings, business notices and more in the Burnley area.
A database allowing full text searches of a newspaper covering local news, family announcements, obituaries, court proceedings, business notices and more in the Manchester area.
A database allowing full text searches of a newspaper covering local news, family announcements, obituaries, court proceedings, business notices and more in the Burnley area.
A local paper including news from the Bury area, legal & governmental proceedings, family announcements, business notices, advertisements and more.
The UKs largest repository of obituaries, containing millions of searchable notices.
A growing collection currently containing over 425,000 abstracts of obituaries with reference to the location of the full obituary.
A collection of 364 obituaries of Quakers from the British Isles. The volume was published in 1849 and includes obituaries of those who died in late 1847 through 1848.
This transcribed and searchable work by Sir William Musgrave contains 10,000s of brief obituaries. The work is a reference point for other works containing information on an individual.
A text index and digital images of all editions of a journal containing medical articles and obituaries of medical practitioners.
Images of millions of pages from cemetery and crematoria registers, photographs of memorials, cemetery plans and more. Records can be search by a name index.
Photographs and transcriptions of millions of gravestones from cemeteries around the world.
Profiles of several hundred mausolea found in the British Isles.
Several thousand transcribed memorials remembering those connected with the nautical occupations.
Todmorden Directories & Gazetteers
A directory centring on the textile towns of West Yorkshire.
Historical & topographical descriptions of Lancashire, supplemented with lists of the area's leading private, commercial and official persons.
A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key historical and contemporary facts. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions. Also contains a list of residents and businesses for each place.
A directory of residents and businesses; with a description of each settlement, containing details on its history, public institutions, churches, postal services, governance and more.
Todmorden Court & Legal Records
A name index linked to original images of over 250,000 Manchester prison records. Records contain details on the convict's birth, appearance, crime and more.
Transcripts of records created on the death of a direct tenant of the monarch to asses their Lancashire land-holdings. Contains much useful genealogical information.
Pleas heard before the Duchy Court of Lancaster relating to a number of matters, including criminal and land disputes. Contains depositions, which list the age and residence of many people.
Todmorden Taxation Records
A transcription of the Lincolnshire section of the Domesday Book, which records land ownership, use and value in the late 11th century; and similar survey completed in 1118.
This vital collection details almost 1.2 million properties eligible for land tax. Records include the name of the landowner, occupier, amount assessed and sometimes the name and/or description of the property. It is a useful starting point for locating relevant estate records and establishing the succession of tenancies and freehold. Most records cover 1798, but some extend up to 1811.
Todmorden Land & Property Records
Transcripts of records created on the death of a direct tenant of the monarch to asses their Lancashire land-holdings. Contains much useful genealogical information.
Todmorden Occupation & Business Records
An introduction to smuggling on the west coast of Britain & the Isle of Man, with details of the act in various regions.
Articles on coal mining in Lancashire, including details of disasters and a list of mines.
An index to police officers mentioned in records held by Lancashire record Office.
A brief history of policing in the county from Saxon times. Includes extensive details on police uniforms.
Todmorden School & Education Records
A name index linked to original images of registers recording the education and careers of teachers in England & Wales.
A name index linked to original images of short biographies for over 120,000 Oxford University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.
A transcript of a vast scholarly work briefly chronicling the heritage, education and careers of over 150,000 Cambridge University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.
A searchable database containing over 90,000 note-form biographies for students of Cambridge University.
Pedigrees & Family Trees Covering Todmorden
Extensive and impeccably sourced genealogies for British, Irish & Manx royalty and nobility. Scroll down to 'British Isles' for relevant sections.
A searchable database of linked genealogies compiled from thousands of reputable and not-so-reputable sources. Contains many details on European gentry & nobility, but covers many countries outside Europe and people from all walks of life.
Over 600 pedigrees for English and Welsh families who had a right to bear a coat of arms.
Todmorden Royalty, Nobility & Heraldry Records
Pedigrees compiled from a late 16th century heraldic visitation of Yorkshire. This work records the lineage, descendants and marriages of families who had a right to bear a coat of arms.
Pedigrees compiled from a early 17th century heraldic visitation of Yorkshire. This work records the lineage, descendants and marriages of families who had a right to bear a coat of arms.
Todmorden Military Records
A history of a Lancashire division's WWI campaigns.
Lists of officers by rank, regiment and name.
A general history of the militia, including lists of officers from various periods.
An inventory of memorials commemorating those who served and died in military conflicts.
Todmorden Immigration & Travel Records
A name index connected to original images of passenger lists recording people travelling from Britain to destinations outside Europe. Records may detail a passenger's age or date of birth, residence, occupation, destination and more.
A full index of passenger lists for vessels arriving in the UK linked to original images. Does not include lists from vessels sailing from European ports. Early entries can be brief, but later entries may include dates of births, occupations, home addresses and more. Useful for documenting immigration.
Details on over 600,000 non-British citizens arriving in England. Often includes age and professions. Useful for discerning the origin of immigrants.
Details on thousands of 17th century British immigrants to the U.S., detailing their origins and nature of their immigration.
A list of over 40,000 passengers traveling from North America to the British Isles. Details of passengers may include: occupation, nationality, gender, age, martial status, class, destination, and details of the vessel they sailed on.
Todmorden Histories & Books
A vast collection of documents, transcripts and photographs relating to the Todmorden and Walsden area.
An encyclopedia of people, places and things relating to the Calderdale area of Yorkshire.
Extracts from a vast array of historical documents giving details on thousands of individuals connected to the history of Lancashire.
A history of two Northern counties from the Germanic invasion to the Victorian period.
Biographical Directories Covering Todmorden
A listing of the prominent residents of the county of Yorkshire, giving details on family, education, careers, hobbies, associations and more. Also includes details on the county's government officials, military officers, members of parliament, religious leaders and demographics.
Biographies of hundreds of men who served as officers in The Green Howards, an infant regiment in the King's Division. Details given include parentage, date of birth, military career and later professional career.
Abstract biographies of people connected with mining in the North of England.
A number of maps of northern England with the locations of collieries plotted.
Maps showing settlements, features and some buildings in mainland Britain.
A sprawling website setting out and describing the historical divisions of Britain. Also contains countless maps of various sorts. Covers the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man & has fleeting details of other localities.
Todmorden Reference Works
Compiled in 1831, this book details the coverage and condition of parish registers in England & Wales.
A comprehensive guide to researching the history of buildings in the British Isles.
A service that provides advanced and custom surname maps for the British Isles and the US.
A dictionary of around 9,000 mottoes for British families who had right to bear arms.
Civil & Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction:
TODMORDEN (“the Foxmere valley”) is a municipal borough and market and union town, with a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, and is on the Rochdale canal, 9 miles north-east from Rochdale, 12 west from Halifax, 21 north-north-east from Manchester and 207 from London, head of a county court district and petty sessional division, partly in the Middleton and Clitheroe divisions of Lancashire and partly in the Sowerby division of the West Riding for parliamentary purposes, but for civil purposes is wholly in the administrative county of W. R. Yorks; it is also in the hundred of Salford, rural deanery of Rochdale, and archdeaconry and diocese of Manchester, the Yorkshire portion being in the rural deanery sand archdeaconry of Halifax and diocese of Wakefield.
The area comprised in the former urban district and new municipal borough, which consisted of the townships of Todmorden and Walsden, Cornholme and Langfield and parts of Cliviger and Stansfield, has by Local Government Board Order, which came into operation September 30, 1897, been amalgamated into one civil parish called Todmorden, and administratively the parish is within the West Riding of Yorkshire. The town adopted the”Local Government Act, 1858,” May 3, 1861, but on June 2, 1896, a Charter of incorporation was granted, under which the borough is divided into 6 wards, with an alderman and three councillors for each ward; it is lighted with gas from works at Millwood, erected in 1847, at a cost of £10,000, and managed by the Corporation; and supplied with water from works, formerly the property of a company, but now owned by the Rochdale Corporation, constructed at a place called”Furnace,” near the head of the Ramsden Valley, Walsden, has a capacity of about 102,000,000 gallons, and cost about £21,550. The bed of the reservoir is 920 feet above sea level, while the lowest part of the borough is some 500 feet below the reservoir. The scenery of the winding vales leading from Todmorden to Halifax, Rochdale, Burnley and Manchester is very romantic. The Todmorden Corporation in 1900 began the construction of a new reservoir in the Gorpley valley, Dulesgate, from which the town will be ultimately supplied, and the Ramsden reservoir water will then be wholly taken into the Rochdale area. The capacity of the Gorpley reservoir will be 120,000,000 gallons. Mr. G. F. Deacon C.E. is the engineer.
Christ Church, erected in 1831, and since 1866 the parish church, is a building of stone partly in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 11 bells, erected in 1897, by Miss H. Howorth, in memory of her brothers and sisters: in the chancel is a memorial window to the Rev. A. J. Plow, vicar, 1863—8, inserted in 1870, at a cost of £225, raised by subscription; also two memorials in mosaic to the late Abraham Ormerod esq. J.P. erected by his widow in 1894, and there are others of the same material to the Howorth family and to the late Luke Barker esq. and his wife: in the sedilia is a memorial mounted in old oak to the late Herbert Coupland Taylor esq. M.D., J.P. of Todmorden Hall, erected by his widow in 1892: in 1885 a new chancel with attached vestries was built, a carved reredos of Caen stone erected to the memory of the Rev. W. A. Conway, late vicar, by his daughter, and the church reseated throughout at a cost of £3,372: the organ was built in 1875, at a cost of £800, and in 1888 a handsome iron screen was erected; and since then several mamorial mosaics have been placed in the church: the stained west window in the tower was erected in 1892 to Edward and Mary Lord and William and Elizabeth Sutcliffe: there are 1,050 sittings, half of which are free. The register dates from the year 1686, and is in fair condition. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, including 51 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester, and held since 1884 by the Rev. Edward James Bussell M.A. of St. Mary Hall, Oxford, hon, canon of Manchester, proctor in convocation for the diocese of Mancheater, and surrogate.
The church of St. Mary, dating originally from 1410, but rebuilt an 1770, was formerly the chapel of a chapelry, in the parish of Rochdale, but under the Rochdale Vicarage Act, 29 and 30 Vict. c. 86 (March 9th 1866) became a chapel of ease to Christ Church, and is a plain building of stone in the Jacobean style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing an illuminated dock and one bell: in the chancel, erected in 1897, is a memorial window to the late John Fielden esq. of Dobroyd Castle: handsome oak screens, the gift of Mrs. John Fielden, of Dobroyd Castle, were erected about 1904: there are sittings for 270 persons.
St. Peters, WALSDEN, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed July 4, 1845; the church, erected in 1848, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower with spire, added in 1863 by subscription, and containing a clock and 8 bells, placed in 1872: there are a number of stained windows, chiefly to members of the Crossly family, of Scaitcliffe, to whom the church in a great measure owes its erection, and to the late Reuben Haigh esq. of Clough House: the church was restored in 1876—91, at a cost of £710, and affords 630 sittings. The register dates from the year 1845. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Crown and Bishop of Manchester alternately, and held since 1890 by the Rev. John Russell Napier B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge.
St. Paul’s, CROSS STONE, is a building of atone in the pointed style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and containing one bell: the east-window is stained: the church was restored in 1889, at a cost of £2,700, and affords sittings for 700 persona. The register dates from the year 1680. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £328, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Halifax, and held since 1882 by the Rev. John Lightfoot M.A. of the Royal University of Ireland, and D.Sci. of the University of Edinburgh, and surrogate. According to official information no ecclesiastical district has ever been legally assigned to this church.
There is a Catholic church in Ridge lane, built in 1868, and dedicated to St. Joseph: it will seat 100 persons.
The Unitarian church, built at a cost of £53,000, by Messrs. Samuel, John and Joshua Fielden, is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, from the designs or Mr. John Gihson, architect, of London, and consists of chancel, nave, mortuary chapel, organ chamber and a tower with spire, together 192 feet in height, containing 8 bells with chimes: the chancel, mortuary chapel and organ chamber are groined and enriched with exquisitely carved bosses and the chancel is adorned with stained glass: the church will seat 600 persons.
The Town Hall, in the centre of the town, and erected in 1875, by Messrs. Fielden, at a cost of £60,000, is a bunding of Ringby stone of the Composite order, from the designs of Mr. John Gibson, architect, of London; the filled in with figures of Portland stone, emblematical of the industries of Lancashire and Yorkshire: the large hall will seat over 1,000 persons. The county court and petty sessions are held at the Town hall, the offices of the town council, county court and of the magistrates being within the same building.
The Free Library, in Rochdale road, erected in 1897, by the Todmorden industrial and Co-operative Society Limited, is a building of stone, and contains reference and lending libraries and two reading rooms. The library contains 12,011 volumes.
The Fielden Hospital, at Lee Bottom, built in 1893, by John Ashton Fielden esq, is a building of stone consisting of two blocks and a mortuary.
A bronze statue of the late John Fielden M.R. by the late Mr, J. H. Foley, sculptor, was inaugurated in April, 1875, in recognition of his persevering endeavours in obtaining the Hours Act.
The”Queen” and the “White Hart” are the principal hotels.
The population is chiefly employed in cotton spinning and the manufacture of cotton goods and fustian. There are some foundries and machine works, the latter being engaged mostly in the supply of machinery for all parts of the world.
The market days are on Wednesday and Saturday in each week, as well as on the first Thursday in each month for cattle. Two annual fairs, continuing for three days each, commence on the Thursday before Raster and on the last Thursday in September.
Todmorden Hall, an ancient gabled mansion, was occupied in the 16th and 17th centuries by the Radclyffe family, but is now divided for two families. Dobroyd Castle, a fine building on an eminence commanding an extensive view of the valleys in which the town is situated, was the seat of the late John Fielden esq. D.L., J.P.; and Centre Vale is the residence of Mrs. Fielden.
The principal landowners are the Messrs. Fielden and the trustees of the late John Arthur Ingham esq. (d. 1900), representatives of the late William Greenwood esq. of Stones, and A. G. Eastwood esq.
The Todmorden civil parish and municipal borough is 12,540 acres of land and 193 of water; rateable value, £115,538; the population in 1901 was 25,418, including 9 officials and 144 inmates of the workhouse.
The population of the wards in 1901 was: Central, 4,134; Cornholme, 5,313; Langfield, 4,109; Stansfield, 4,440; Todmorden; 3,922; Walsden, 3,500.
The population attached to Christ Church in 1901 was 3,098.
The population of Cross Stone ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 11,578, and of All Saints, Harley Wood, 6,545, of which 4,046 are in Yorks.
Petty Sessions are held every Monday & thursday, at the Town hall, at 11 a.m. The following places are included in the Petty Sessional Division:-Todmorden. & Walsden in the county of Lancaster & Stansfield, Langfield, Heptonstall, Wadsworth, Mytholmroyd & Erringden in the county of York.
Board day, fortnightly, on Wednesday, at the Union offices, Hall street, at 1.30 p.m.
Todmorden Union comprises the seven following parishes:-Blackshaw, Erringden, Hebden Bridge, Heptonstall, Mytholmroyd, Todmorden & Wadsworth; the population of the union in 1901 was 42,207; area, 40,354 acres; rateable value for 1904, £200,607.
The Workhouse, at Lee Bottom, in the township of Langfield, was erected in 1877, at a cost of over £10,000, for 100 inmates, & enlarged in 1890 to accommodate 250 inmates.
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Serves.
Christ Church, Rev. Canon Edward Janies Russell M.A. vicar Rev. John Edward Wareham B.A. & Rev. Thomas Walters B.A. curates; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; 10.30 a.m. & 7.30 p.m. daily.
St. Mary’s (chapel of ease); 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
St. Pauls, Cross Stone, Rev. John Lightfoot M.A, vicar: 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
All Saints, Harley Wood, Rev. James Herbert Lomax, vlcar; 8 & 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
St. Michael’s All Angels Church, Cornholme, Rev. Oswald Fielding Aston M.A. vicar: 8 & 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p m.
St. Peter's, Walsden, Rev. John Russell Napier B.A,; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
St. Joseph (Catholic), Cobden, Rev. Francis Joseph Oakes, priest; 9 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Baptist, Charlestown; 10.30 a.m. & 2.15 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Baptist, Lineholme,; 10.30 a.m. & 2.30 & 6 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Baptist (Mount Olivet), Rev. William Lewis Stevenson; 10.30 a.m. & 2.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Baptist, Roomfield, Rev. Henry Briggs; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Thur. 7.30 p.m.
Baptist, Shore,; 10.30 a.m. & 2 p.m.
Baptist, Vale, Rev. Lewis C. Hammond; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Baptist, Wellington road, Rev. Thomas Cotes; 10.30 a.m. & 8 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Congregational, Patmos,; 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Congregational, Clough Foot, Rev. James A. Smith; 10.30 a.m. & 2.30 p.m.
Congregational, Eastwood, Rev. John Wilson; 10.30 a.m. & 2.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Friends’ Meeting House, Bank top; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Independent Methodist, Oldroyd; 10.30 a m. & 2.30 p.m.
Methodist Free Church, Lumbutts; 10.30 a.m. & 2.30 p.m.
Methodist Free Church, Cornholme; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Methodist Free Church, Walsden; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.: Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Methodist Free Church, Bridge street; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.: Tues. 7.30 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, Knowlwood; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, Castle street; 2.30 & 6 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, Victoria road, 2.30 & 6 p.m.
Unitarian, Rev. Arthur W. Fox; 10.45 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Wesleyan, Shade; 2.30 & 6 p.m.
Wesleyan. York street; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Wesleyan, Eastwood: 2.30 & 6 p.m.
Wesleyan, Mankinholes; 10.30 a.m. & 2.30 p.m.
Wesleyan, Walsden; 2.30 & 6 p.m.
Salvation Army Barracks, Union street; 11 a.m. & 8.30 p.m.
PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS
Borough of Todmorden Education Committee, formed Hay 1, 1903, & consisting, of 17 members, 16 of the Corporation & 3 co-opted; offices, Roomfield; James Whitehead, clerk; Thomas Woodhead, Millwood, attendance officer.
Fielden School of Art (borough), Burnley road; John H. Farran, master.
Municipal Technical School, Rochdale road, J. Whitehead, clerk.
Roomfield Higher Grade & Secondary School (Div. A) (boys, girls, mixed & infants), built in 1877, enlarged in 1887 & in 1892 & again in 1898, for 1,388 children; average attendance, 959.
Clough Foot (mixed), built in 1829, transferred to the Board in 1875, for; 147 children; average attendance, 46.
Walsden (mixed & infants), built in 1879, for 395 children; average attendance, 285.
Cornholme (mixed & infants), for 453 children; average attendance, 220 (boys & girls) & 60 (infant’s).
Vale (mixed & infants), built in 1880, for 350 children; average attendance, 175 (boys & girls) & 100 (infants).
Robinwood (mixed & infants), erected in 1894 & enlarged in 1896, for 262 children; average attendance, 183.
Eastwood (mixed & infants), built in 1877, for 364 children; average attendance, 240.
Lanebottom (mixed), for 166 children; average attendance, 58.
Todmorden National, Burnley road (mixed & infants), built in 1846, & enlarged in 1884, 1885 & 1897, for about 600, children; average attendance, 459.
Walsden (mixed), built in 1850 & enlarged in 1880, for 300 children; average attendance, 140.
Cross Stone (mixed & infants), erected in 1850, for 345 children: average attendance, 299.
Harley Wood, erected in 1872, for 250 children; average attendance, 100.
Shads (mixed & infants), erected in 1869 & enlarged in 1891, for 405 children; average attendance, 275.
Lumbutts (mixed), erected in 1880, for 263 children; average attendance, 77.
St. Joseph (Catholic),Cobden (mixed), built in 1868, for 144 children; average attendance, 81.— Kelly's Directory of Lancashire (1905)
TODMORDEN is a market and union town, a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, township, chapelry and head of a county court district, partly within the eastern boundary of Lancashire and partly in Yorkshire, 9 miles north-east from Rochdale, 12 west from Halifax, 21 north-north-east from Manchester and 207 from London, partly in Rochdale and partly in Halifax parishes; the Lancashire portion is in the petty sessional division of Middleton, and the Yorkshire portion in that of West Morley, hundred of Salford, rural deanery of Rochdale and archdeaconry and diocese of Manchester, situated on the river Calder and the Rochdale canal. Stansfield and Langfield are adjoining townships, large portions of which are embraced in the town of Todmorden, which is under the government of a local board of 15 members, and has two county police stations and ten constables. Petty sessions are held once a fortnight at the Town Hall, and the prisoners there found guilty are sent to Wakefield or Manchester prisons, according to the locality in which the offence was committed. The scenery of the winding vales leading from Todmorden to Halifax, Rochdale, Burnley and Manchester is very romantic and is much admired by all visitors. The old church of St. Mary is a plain square building, with a tower containing 1 bell and an illuminated clock, and has been restored by public subscription. Christ Church is a stone edifice, built in 1831, adjoining the new burial ground, and consists of nave with aisles and a square tower containing 1 bell: in the chancel is a stained window in memory of a former vicar, the Rev. A. J. Plow, inserted at a cost of £225, raised by subscription: there are 1,230 sittings, half of which are free. The register dates from the year 1680, and is in fair condition. The living is a vicarage with residence, net yearly value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester and held by the Rev. William Augustus Conway, surrogate, appointed in 1876 by the vicar of Rochdale, the then patron.
The Unitarian church, built at a cost of nearly £35,000 by Messrs. Samuel, John and Joshua Fielden, is a splendid structure in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, from the designs of John Gibson esq. of London, consisting of chancel, nave, mortuary chapel, organ chamber, and a tower with spire, together 192 feet in height, and containing a peal of 8 bells and chimes, arranged to play four different tunes at intervals during the 24 hours: it is constructed of Cloughhead and native stone: the nave has an open roof of oak, that of the chancel is of red Mansfield and Yorkshire stone; the mortuary chapel and the organ chamber are groined with the same kind of stone and enriched with exquisitely carved bosses: the chancel is paved with red, green and Sicilian marble, and is enriched with stained glass: the font is also of Sicilian marble, supported by pillars of green marble and Plymouth spar, and inlaid with marbles of various kinds: the church will seat 500 persons.
There are also chapels for Wesleyans, Calvinists and New Connexion and Association Methodists, all well attended, and a Meeting House for the society of Friends.
A school Board, consisting of nine members, for the united district of Todmorden, viz.:-Todmorden and Walsden in Lancashire, the townships of Erringden, Heptonstall, Stansfield and Wadsworth in Yorkshire, was formed in August, 1874, and schools have been erected at Roomfield, Todmorden, Eastwood, Jackbridge, Cloughfoot, Corrnholme, Walsden, Heptonstall, Lanebottom and Hebden Bridge.
The County Court and petty sessions are at the Town Hall; the offices of the Local Board, County Court and of the magistrates being within the building.
The Town Hall, a handsome building of the Composite order, is situated in the centre of the town; the walls are faced with Ringby stone, the upper storey on three sides being divided into bays by columns, the north end is semicircular, and has fluted columns with richly-carved capitals, the architraves of the windows and niches are similarly treated; a bold cornice with a frieze, ornamented with carved fret work, runs continuously round the building, the frontage of the building is 130 feet by 53 feet, and the height to the top of the cornice 54 feet, and to the apex of the pediment facing the south 67 feet; the pediment is filled with figures in Portland stone, emblematical of the industries of the counties of Lancaster and York, in which the building stands: the roof is covered with lead: the large hall, 96 ft. 6 in in length. 46 ft. 6 in wide, and 34 ft. 9 in high, will seat 1,000 people: the grand entrance, at the apsidal end, is embellished with Hoptonwood polished stone columns, and has five large windows in the first stage and seven smaller ones in the second: the ceiling and cornice of the interior is elaborately decorated in gold and colours.
A bronze statue of the late John Fielden, known as the Fielden memorial, and situated on the north side of the town hall, erected by public subscription in recognition of his persevering endeavours in obtaining the Ten Hours Act, was inaugurated in April, 1875.
Gas works were erected in 1847 at a cost of £10,000: the Queen’s, the White Hart and the Golden Lion are the principal hotels.
There are two newspapers, ‘ The Todmorden and Hebden Bridge Advertiser ’ and ‘ The Todmorden and District News.’
The population is chiefly employed in the manufacture of cotton, fustians and cotton spinning. There are some foundries and machine works, the latter being chiefly engaged in the supply of machinery to manufactories in the neighbourhood.
The market day is on Saturday in each week, in the afternoon, as well as on the first Thursday in each month for cattle. Two annual fairs, continuing three days each, commence on the Thursday before Easter, and on the 27th of September for cattle, pigs and amusements.
The principal seats in the neighbourhood are The Castle, Dobroyd, a fine building, on an eminence commanding an extensive view of the valleys in which the town is situated, and the seat of John Fielden esq. J.P.,; Stansfield Hall, a Tudor building, the residence of Thomas Fielden esq.; Centre Vale, that of Samuel Fielden esq. J.P.; Ridge Foot, of Abraham Ormerod esq. J.P.; and Scarcliffe, the ancient family seat and residence of the Crossley family, now inhabited by Mrs. Crossley: there are also many handsome residences belonging to the principal manufacturers in the neighbourhood.
The principal landowners are the Messrs. Fielden and the trustees of the late William Greenwood esq. of stones.
The combined acreage of Todmorden and Walsden is 7,007, of which 30 are water; rateable value, £42,716; the population of Todmorden and Walsden in 1871 was 9,333, of which 3,507 are attached to Christchurch parish.
The population of the Todmorden Local Board District in 1871 was:
|Stensfield (part of)||3,582|
|Lanfield (part of)||2,965|
|Todmorden and Walsden (part of)||5,451|
Walsden, which forms part of the township of Todmorden, is wholly in the county of Lancaster, and will be found in Kelly’s Directory of that county.
Board day, Wednesday at the station House inn. Todmorden union comprises the six townships of Todmorden & Walsden, Heptonatall, Erringden, Langfield, Stansfield & Wadsworth. A union house, situated at Leebottom in the township of Langfield, was erected in 1877, at a coat of over £10,000.
Places of Worship, with times of service.
Christ Church (St. Mary’s), Rev. W. A. Conway, vicar; Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7.30 p.m.
Catholic, Cobden, Rev. C. J. Huybers, priest; Sun. 10.45 а.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Baptist Chapel, Roomfield lane, Rev. Henry Briggs; Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Baptist Chapel, Lineholme (vacant); Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m; Tue. 7.30 p.m.
Baptist Chapel (Mount Olivet), Rev. James Dearden; Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Baptist Chapel, Vale, Rev. W. J. Staynes; Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Baptist Chapel, Wellington road, Rev. William March; Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Baptist Chapel, shore, Rev. J. K. Chappelle.
Congregational Chapel, Burnley road (vacant); Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
Congregational Chapel, Patmos, Rev. John Constance; Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 7.30 p.m.
Unitarian, Rev. L. Taplin; Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. Tue. 7 p.m.
Wesleyan Chapel. York street, Revs. J. Fletcher & W. B. Lowther; Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Wesleyan Association Chapel, Rev. J. Mather, Bridge street; Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Clough Foot, Charles Bidwell, master.
Walsden, G. F, Stacey, master.
Vale, Napoleon Kershaw, master.
Roomfield, G. Daniels, master; Miss Isabella Henderson, mistress; Mrs. H. Ash, infants’ mistress.
Eastwood, G. H. Tee, master; Miss Frances Harrison, infants’ mistress.
Lanebottom, Alfred Crossland, master.
Colden, Heptonstall, Thomas Horsfield, master.
Crunsworth. Wadsworth. Adam Gillibrand, master.
Hebden Bridge, Thomas Riley, master.
Mytholmroyd, J. L. Bond, master; Miss E. A. Cockcroft, infants' mistress.
Walker Lane, Wadsworth (mixed), W. Bradshaw, master.
National, Burnley road, John Turner, master; Miss Ogden, infants’ mistress.
Church of England:—
Wadsworth mill, John Catlow, master.
Waterside factory, J. A. Birtwistle, master.
Robin Wood factory, J. C. Quayle, master.
Lumbutt’s factory, J. G. A. Owencroft, master.
Catholic, Cobden, Miss Wells, mistress.
Todmorden Endowed (boys & girls), Church steps, Thomas Lord, master.
Centre Vale (mixed), was built in 1872, at the cost of Mrs. Samuel Fielden, by whom also it is supported, & has an attendance of 150: Miss Pilling, mistress.— Kelly's Directory of the West Riding of Yorkshire (1881)
Surnames Found in Todmorden
|Rank||Surname||No. of People||% of Population|
* Statistics based on the 1881 census