Romford Genealogical Records

Romford Birth & Baptism Records

England & Wales Birth Index (1837-2006)

An index to births registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of birth certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

Collier Row St. James, Romford Baptism Records (1955-1961)

Baptism registers are the primary source for birth documentation before 1837, though are relevant to the present. They record the date a child was baptised, their parent's names, occupations, residence and more.

St. Augustine of Canterbury, Romford Baptism Records (1949-1964)

Baptism registers are the primary source for birth documentation before 1837, though are relevant to the present. They record the date a child was baptised, their parent's names, occupations, residence and more.

St. Augustine of Canterbury, Rush Green Baptisms (1949-1964)

Baptism registers record the baptism of those born in and around Romford and were subsequently baptised in an Anglican place of worship. They are the primary source of birth details before 1837, though are useful to the present.

Collier Row Calvary Mission Church Baptisms (1940-1952)

Records of baptism for people born in and around Romford between 1940 and 1952. Details include child's name, parent's names and date of birth and/or baptism. Records may also include parent's occupations, residence, place of origin and more.

Romford Marriage & Divorce Records

England & Wales Marriage Index (1837-2008)

An index to marriages registered throughout England & Wales. This is the only national marriage index that allows you to search by both spouse's names. Provides a reference to order copies of marriage certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

Collier Row St. James, Romford Banns Records (1955-1988)

Banns registers list the names of people who intended to marry by the system of calling banns, in which the bride and groom's name were called for three weeks at church. At these callings objections could be made to a marriage. Thus they record any intended marriages that didn't occur.

Collier Row St. James, Romford Marriage Records (1955-1974)

The Marriage registers of Collier Row St. James, Romford, document marriages 1955 to 1974. Details given on the bride and groom may include their age, father's name, marital status, residence and signature.

St. Augustine of Canterbury, Romford Banns Records (1954-1997)

The Banns register of St. Augustine of Canterbury, Romford gives details on those who intended to marry. They record an individual's real parish of residence if they moved to a parish temporarily for the purpose of a marriage.

St. Augustine of Canterbury, Rush Green Banns (1954-1997)

The Banns register of Rush Green St. Augustine of Canterbury, Romford gives details on those who intended to marry. They record an individual's real parish of residence if they moved to a parish temporarily for the purpose of a marriage.

Romford Death & Burial Records

England & Wales Death Index (1837-2006)

An index to deaths registered throughout England & Wales. Provides a reference to order copies of death certificates from the national registrar of births, marriages and deaths – the General Register Office.

Noak Hill St. Thomas, Romford Burial Records (1844-1992)

Records of burial for people buried at Noak Hill St. Thomas, Romford between 1844 and 1992. Details include the deceased's name, residence and age. Some records may contain the names of relations, cause of death and more.

Havering Well Meeting House, Romford Burial Records (1781-1855)

Burial registers are the primary source for death documentation before 1837, though are relevant to the present. They record the date someone was buried, their age & residence. Details given may include the deceased's name, residence, age, names of relations, cause of death and more.

St. Edward the Confessor, Romford Burial Records (1561-1937)

Burial records for people buried at St. Edward the Confessor, Romford between 1561 and 1937. Lists the deceased's name, residence and age.

St Edwards, Romford Burial Records (1813-1937)

Burial records covering those buried at St Edwards, Romford_. This resource is an index and may not include all the details that were recorded in the burial registers from which they were extracted.

Romford Church Records

Romford Parish Registers (1561-2007)

The parish registers of Romford are the primary source for birth, marriage and death details before civil registration (1837). A full index to names with original images of the registers are available between 1561 and 2007. Parish registers can assist tracing a family as far back as 1561.

St Augustine of Canterbury, Romford Presentations (1967-1981)

Digital images of registers recording the blessings of young children.

St Augustine, Rush Green Presentations (1967-1981)

Digital images of registers recording crematory ceremonies held at the church.

St Michael & All Angels, Gidea Park Confirmations (1947-1991)

Digital images of registers recording those confirmed into the Christian faith by the Church of England.

London Consistory Court Depositions (1586-1611)

An index to over 1,800 cases brought before the court. For witnesses, age and residence is usually given. The cases cover such matters as defamation, marriage and tithes.

Romford Census & Population Lists

England, Wales, IoM & Channel Islands 1911 Census (1911)

The 1911 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

London Electoral Registers (1832-1965)

Lists of those registered to vote in London, including their residence and sometimes other supplementary details. Useful for tracing families in between censuses and can be used as a post-1911 census substitute, as listings are ordered by residence. A name index connected to original images.

1901 British Census (1901)

The 1901 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

1891 British Census (1891)

The 1891 census provides details on an individual's age, residence, place of birth, relations and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows searches on for multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

1881 British Census (1881)

The 1881 census provides details on an individual's age, residence and occupation. FindMyPast's index allows for searches on multiple metrics including occupation and residence.

Romford Wills & Probate Records

England & Wales National Probate Calendar (1858-1966)

Searchable index and original images of over 12.5 million probates and administrations granted by civil registries. Entries usually include the testator's name, date of death, date of probate and registry. Names of relations may be given.

Archdeaconry of Essex Probate Index (1400-1720)

An index to wills proved by the Archdeaconry of Essex. The index includes the testator's name, residence, occupation and a reference to order a copy of the will.

Commissary Court of London Wills & Probate (1523-1857)

A searchable index connected to images surviving wills and probate documents for the Commissary Court of London. These records can help trace families back to the late 15th century.

Consistory Court of London Wills & Probate (1514-1858)

A searchable index connected to images surviving wills and probate documents for the Consistory Court of London. These records can help trace families back to the late 15th century.

London Consistory Court Wills (1492-1520)

Transcriptions of early wills covering the City of London and its environs.

Newspapers Covering Romford

South London Press (1867)

A local paper including news from the London area, legal & governmental proceedings, family announcements, business notices, advertisements and more.

Shoreditch Observer (1857-1867)

A local paper including news from the Shoreditch area, legal & governmental proceedings, family announcements, business notices, advertisements and more.

Hertford Mercury and Reformer (1834-1868)

A record of births, marriages, deaths, legal, political, organisation and other news from the Hertford area. Original pages of the newspaper can be viewed and located by a full text search.

London Standard (1827-1900)

Original images of a local newspaper, searchable via a full text index. Includes news from the London area, business notices, obituaries, family announcements and more.

Chelmsford Chronicle (1783-1950)

A local newspaper including news from the Chelmsford district, business notices, family announcements, legal & governmental proceedings, advertisements and more.

Romford Obituaries

iAnnounce Obituaries (2006-Present)

The UKs largest repository of obituaries, containing millions of searchable notices.

United Kingdom and Ireland Obituary Collection (1882-Present)

A growing collection currently containing over 425,000 abstracts of obituaries with reference to the location of the full obituary.

Quakers Annual Monitor (1847-1848)

A collection of 364 obituaries of Quakers from the British Isles. The volume was published in 1849 and includes obituaries of those who died in late 1847 through 1848.

Musgrave's Obituaries (1421-1800)

This transcribed and searchable work by Sir William Musgrave contains 10,000s of brief obituaries. The work is a reference point for other works containing information on an individual.

British Medical Journal (1849-Present)

A text index and digital images of all editions of a journal containing medical articles and obituaries of medical practitioners.

Romford Cemeteries

Romford Burial Ground, Romford Cemetery Records (1871-1874)

Digital images recording those buried in the cemetery. Details typically include name, age, residence and details of the burial.

St. Edward the Confessor, Romford MIs (1559-1861)

Vital details extracted from tombstones and other monuments at St. Edward the Confessor, Romford.

The Ancient Sepulchral Monuments of Essex (1135-1890)

Transcriptions and illustrations of monuments erected remembrance of personages in Essex. Also contains pedigrees for historic families of the county.

Essex Church Monuments (1300-1900)

Photographs and descriptions of Essex's most illustrious church monuments, often featuring effigies, medieval inscriptions and heraldic devices.

Essex Monumental Inscriptions (1100-2007)

An index to vital details engraved on over 170,000 gravestones and other monuments across the county of Essex.

Romford Directories & Gazetteers

Kelly's Directory of Essex (1937)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key contemporary and historical facts. Each place has a list of residents and businesses. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions.

Kelly's Directory of Essex (1933)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key contemporary and historical facts. Each place has a list of residents and businesses. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions.

Kelly's Directory of Essex (1929)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key contemporary and historical facts. Each place has a list of residents and businesses. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions.

Kelly's Directory of Essex (1925-1926)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key contemporary and historical facts. Each place has a list of residents and businesses. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions.

Kelly's Directory of Essex (1922)

A comprehensive place-by-place gazetteer, listing key contemporary and historical facts. Each place has a list of residents and businesses. Contains details on local schools, churches, government and other institutions.

London Poor Law & Board of Guardian Records (1430-1930)

Original images of a vast array of documents detailing the administration of the dependant poor in London. Including: school registers, rate books, removals, settlements, apprenticeships, criminal records, legal records and more.

London Consistory Court Depositions (1586-1611)

An index to over 1,800 cases brought before the court. For witnesses, age and residence is usually given. The cases cover such matters as defamation, marriage and tithes.

Act Books of the Archbishops of Canterbury (1663-1859)

An index to names and places mentioned in act books of the Province of Canterbury. It records various licences and conferments, such as marriage and physician licences.

Home Office Prison Calendars (1868-1929)

Records of over 300,000 prisoners held by quarter sessions in England & Wales. Records may contain age, occupation, criminal history, offence and trial proceedings.

Central Criminal Court After-trial Calendars (1855-1931)

Over 175,000 records detailing prisoner's alleged offences and the outcome of their trial. Contains genealogical information.

Romford Taxation Records

Land Tax Redemption (1798-1811)

This vital collection details almost 1.2 million properties eligible for land tax. Records include the name of the landowner, occupier, amount assessed and sometimes the name and/or description of the property. It is a useful starting point for locating relevant estate records and establishing the succession of tenancies and freehold. Most records cover 1798, but some extend up to 1811.

Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures (1710-1811)

An index linked to original images of registers recording apprenticeship indentures. Details are given on the trade and nature of apprenticeship. Many records list the parents of the apprentice.

Red Book of the Exchequer (1066-1230)

A compilation of records from the Court of the Exchequer primarily dealing with taxes and land. These records are in Latin.

Index to Death Duty Registers (1796-1903)

An index to wills and administrations that incurred a death duty tax. The index can be used to order documents that give a brief abstract of the will and details on the duty. It can be used as a make-shift probate index.

Testa De Nevill (1198-1251)

An account of knights' fees and serjeanties in the reigns of Henry the Third and Edward the First.

Romford Land & Property Records

Land Tax Redemption (1798-1811)

This vital collection details almost 1.2 million properties eligible for land tax. Records include the name of the landowner, occupier, amount assessed and sometimes the name and/or description of the property. It is a useful starting point for locating relevant estate records and establishing the succession of tenancies and freehold. Most records cover 1798, but some extend up to 1811.

UK Poll Books and Electoral Rolls (1538-1893)

Poll books record the names of voters and the direction of their vote. Until 1872 only landholders could vote, so not everyone will be listed. Useful for discerning an ancestor's political leanings and landholdings. The collection is supplemented with other records relating to the vote.

Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem (1236-1291)

Abstracts of records detailing the estates and families of deceased tenants from the reigns of Henry III and Edward I.

Red Book of the Exchequer (1066-1230)

A compilation of records from the Court of the Exchequer primarily dealing with taxes and land. These records are in Latin.

Return of Owners of Land England (1873)

A list of landowners in England giving their primary residence, extent of their land and estimated yearly rental.

Romford Occupation & Business Records

Smuggling on the South East Coast (1675-1871)

An introduction to smuggling in on the east coast of England, with details of the act in various regions.

Essex Wages Assessment (1651)

Details of the wages to be expected for various tradesmen and labourers.

Smuggling on the East Coast (1600-1892)

An introduction to smuggling on the east coast of England, with details of the act in various regions.

Essex Pub Histories (1820-Present)

Histories of Essex pubs, with photographs and lists of owners or operators.

Lost Pubs of Essex (1750-Present)

Short histories of former public houses, with photographs and lists of owners or operators.

Romford School & Education Records

London School Admissions & Discharges Registers (1840-1911)

Records or admission and discharge for over 1 million pupils attending over 800 state schools in London. Records are indexed by name linked to original images of the registers; and may contain details on the pupil's parents, date of birth, residence, parent's occupations and scholastic history.

Teacher's Registration Council Registers (1870-1948)

A name index linked to original images of registers recording the education and careers of teachers in England & Wales.

Oxford University Alumni (1500-1886)

A name index linked to original images of short biographies for over 120,000 Oxford University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge University Alumni (1261-1900)

A transcript of a vast scholarly work briefly chronicling the heritage, education and careers of over 150,000 Cambridge University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge Alumni Database (1198-1910)

A searchable database containing over 90,000 note-form biographies for students of Cambridge University.

Pedigrees & Family Trees Covering Romford

The Ancient Sepulchral Monuments of Essex (1135-1890)

Transcriptions and illustrations of monuments erected remembrance of personages in Essex. Also contains pedigrees for historic families of the county.

Victoria County History: Essex (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

British & Irish Royal & Noble Genealogies (491-1603)

Extensive and impeccably sourced genealogies for British, Irish & Manx royalty and nobility. Scroll down to 'British Isles' for relevant sections.

FamilySearch Community Trees (6000 BC-Present)

A searchable database of linked genealogies compiled from thousands of reputable and not-so-reputable sources. Contains many details on European gentry & nobility, but covers many countries outside Europe and people from all walks of life.

Visitation of England and Wales (1700-1899)

Over 600 pedigrees for English and Welsh families who had a right to bear a coat of arms.

Romford Royalty, Nobility & Heraldry Records

Victoria County History: Essex (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

Visitations of Essex: 1552, 1558, 1570, 1612 & 1634 (1000-1634)

Five collections of pedigrees based on 16th and 17th century genealogical manuscripts. These works record families who had a right to bear coat of arms, essentially the gentry.

Essex Church Monuments (1300-1900)

Photographs and descriptions of Essex's most illustrious church monuments, often featuring effigies, medieval inscriptions and heraldic devices.

British & Irish Royal & Noble Genealogies (491-1603)

Extensive and impeccably sourced genealogies for British, Irish & Manx royalty and nobility. Scroll down to 'British Isles' for relevant sections.

FamilySearch Community Trees (6000 BC-Present)

A searchable database of linked genealogies compiled from thousands of reputable and not-so-reputable sources. Contains many details on European gentry & nobility, but covers many countries outside Europe and people from all walks of life.

Romford Military Records

The Essex Regiment - 1st Battalion (44th) (1740-1919)

A chronicle of the regiment's part in numerous military campaigns from around the world.

Essex WWI Memorials (1914-1918)

A list of names found on World War One monuments in Essex, with some service details.

Essex WWII Memorials (1914-1918)

A list of names found on World War Two monuments in Essex, with some service details.

Prisoners of War of British Army (1939-1945)

A searchable list of over 100,000 British Army POWs. Records contains details on the captured, their military career and where they were held prisoner.

British Prisoners of World War II (1939-1945)

Details on around 165,000 men serving in the British Army, Navy and Air Force who were held as prisoners during WWII.

Romford Immigration & Travel Records

Passenger Lists Leaving UK (1890-1960)

A name index connected to original images of passenger lists recording people travelling from Britain to destinations outside Europe. Records may detail a passenger's age or date of birth, residence, occupation, destination and more.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists (1878-1960)

A full index of passenger lists for vessels arriving in the UK linked to original images. Does not include lists from vessels sailing from European ports. Early entries can be brief, but later entries may include dates of births, occupations, home addresses and more. Useful for documenting immigration.

Alien Arrivals in England (1810-1869)

Details on over 600,000 non-British citizens arriving in England. Often includes age and professions. Useful for discerning the origin of immigrants.

17th Century British Emigrants to the U.S. (1600-1700)

Details on thousands of 17th century British immigrants to the U.S., detailing their origins and nature of their immigration.

Migration from North America to Britain & Ireland (1858-1870)

A list of over 40,000 passengers traveling from North America to the British Isles. Details of passengers may include: occupation, nationality, gender, age, martial status, class, destination, and details of the vessel they sailed on.

Romford Histories & Books

Victoria County History: Essex (1086-1900)

A detailed history of the county's hundreds, parishes and religious houses.

Handbook: Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk & Cambridgeshire (1892)

A traveller's guide to four Southern counties.

Essex Church Photographs (1890-Present)

Photographs and images of churches in Essex.

Essex Church Photographs (2004-Present)

Photographs of the interiors and exteriors of Essex churches. Also contains some architectural information.

Dictionary of Essex & Suffolk Words and Phrases (1700-1950)

A short list of words and phrases peculiar to the two counties.

Biographical Directories Covering Romford

Oxford University Alumni (1500-1886)

A name index linked to original images of short biographies for over 120,000 Oxford University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Cambridge University Alumni (1261-1900)

A transcript of a vast scholarly work briefly chronicling the heritage, education and careers of over 150,000 Cambridge University students. This is a particularly useful source for tracing the ancestry of the landed gentry.

Crockford's Clerical Directories (1868-1914)

Brief biographies of Anglican clergy in the UK.

The Concise Dictionary of National Biography (1654-1930)

A directory containing lengthy biographies of noted British figures. The work took over two decades to compile. Biographies can be searched by name and are linked to images of the original publication.

Church of England Clergy Database (1500-1835)

A database of CoE clergy, giving details of their education of service. Contains references to source documents. Also contains profiles of various church institutions.

Romford Maps

Maps of London & The Vicinity (1940)

Detailed maps of London and 125 other places in the vicinity.

James Wyld's Map of London and Environs (1872)

A map charting London and 25 miles round.

Essex and Suffolk Maps (1360-1910)

A collection of maps plotting the counties of Essex and Suffolk, and some of their settlements.

Maps of Essex (1601-1892)

Digital images of maps covering the county.

Ordnance Survey 1:10 Maps (1840-1890)

Maps showing settlements, features and some buildings in mainland Britain.

Romford Reference Works

Essex Place Names (1200-1850)

A database of names of fields, roads, inns, houses, farms, manors, places, rivers, streams, woods, etc, and names of owners, tenants, landlords, parties to agreements etc, recorded from historic documents.

England Research Guide (1538-Present)

A beginner’s guide to researching ancestry in England.

Parish Register Abstract (1538-1812)

Compiled in 1831, this book details the coverage and condition of parish registers in England & Wales.

Building History Research Guide (1066-Present)

A comprehensive guide to researching the history of buildings in the British Isles.

Surname Origins (1790-1911)

A service that provides advanced and custom surname maps for the British Isles and the US.

Romford Information

Civil & Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction:

Historical Description

The populous town of Romford, the etymology of which seems to be yet unsettled, "adhuc sub judice lis est." The earliest notice we find of this manor is in a record dated 1299, at which period it belonged to Adam de Cretinge, of whom Henry de Winchester, a Jewish proselyte, held it. At present it is the property of the family of Newman.

This town principally consists of one long wide street, through which the turnpike road passes: the Market-house and Town Hall stand near the centre of the town; here are held the quarter sessionsfor the district of Havering-atte-Bower.

The chapel here is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and Edward the Confessor, of the latter of whom there is a whole length in the east window of the chancel.

Topography of Great Britain, written: 1802-29 by George Alexander Cooke

ROMFORD is an ancient market town and head of a petty sessional division, union and county court district, in the Southern division of the county, seated on the little river Rom, whence it derives its name, on the high road from London to Colchester, with a station on the Great Eastern railway and another on a branch of the London, Tilbury and Southend railway from Hornchurch, 12 miles from Whitechapel, 17 south-west from Chelmsford, 7 north-east from Barking and 6 south-west from Brentwood: the principal street, in which the cattle market is held, is a wide thoroughfare, of considerable length, running from west to east. The town was governed by a Local Board of Health, formed in 1894, but is now under the provisions of the “Local Government Act, 1894” (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), controlled by an Urban District Council, and is lighted with gas from works in Nursery road established in 1825, but since bought by a company, and enlarged in 1889. Water is supplied by the South Essex Water Company, who derive their supply from Grays. Romford was the capital of the liberty of Havering-atte-Bower until the abolition of the liberty 9 May, 1892; this liberty comprised the parishes of Hornchurch, Romford and Havering, and had an ancient, peculiar and separate jurisdiction, granted by various charters from the time of Edward the Confessor, whose original grant has since received many additions and confirmations: it was independent of the county, appointed its own magistrates, had a clerk of the peace, coroner, quarter and petty sessions, courts of record and ancient demesne and a county court: all business relative to the liberty was transacted in the town of Romford, which has in consequence been appointed the head of a petty sessional division. The Manorial Court, however, is still in existence, and meets annually on the Tuesday in Whitsun week for the election of officers, viz.: High Steward and Deputy High Steward, also for the payment of quit rents.

The ancient civil parish of Romford was in 1895, under the operation of the “Local Government Act, 1894” (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), divided into three civil parishes, viz.:-Romford Urban, Romford Rural and Noak Hill. The Urban parish comprised the same area as the Urban district and the Rural, the remainder of the old parish except Noak Hill. On the amalgamation of Romford Urban and Rural parishes, on April 24th, 1900, the district was divided into wards for parochial purposes, the old town of Romford being divided into the wards of North, Central, and South, and the Rural portion into Collier Row and Harold Wood wards. The church of St. Edward the Confessor, erected in 1850 on the site of the old parish church, is a building of Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings in the Latter Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles with chapels and an embattled tower on the south side with a spire 162 feet in height and containing a clock and 8 bells, dated respectively 1850, 1756, 1704, 1651 and three others 1636, one being undated: the east window was given by Col. Graves in memory of his wife: there is also a stained window in the south aisle to the memory of Edward Ind esq. J.P. d. 1848: in the south aisle of the church is a stately monument, with alabaster effigies of himself and his lady in kneeling attitudes, to Sir Anthony Cooke, preceptor to King Edward VI. who died June 11, 1576: the Latin inscription on this monument, enumerating the various members of his family, is supposed to have been furnished by his daughters, who were among the learned females of that age: against the south wall of the chancel formerly stood the fine monument, now in the porch, of Sir Nicholas Hervey of Marks; be had previously been sheriff of Essex, 38 Eliz. (1595—6), and was at the time of his death, 10th August, 1605, lieutenant of the Tower of London, where he died, but was buried here on the south side of the chancel, with heraldic honours: there is a long inscription in gilt letters on a slab of black marble, to himself, his wife and various members of his family: previously placed on the south wall of the chancel, immediately west of the Hervey monument, but now in the porch, is the stately tomb, with her recumbent effigy, of Anne Carew, raised by her famous son, George, first and only Baron Carew and eventually Earl of Totnes; she was the daughter of Sir Nicholas Hervey knt. and sister of Sir George Hervey knt. dean of Windsor; he died 15th of June, 1583, and his wife, 27th August, 1605, set. 76: the church will seat 830 persons. The register dates from the year 1561 and is in very good condition. The living is nominally a vicarage, but is rather in the nature of a chaplaincy exempt from ecclesiastical jurisdiction, net yearly value £705, with 1 ½ acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of New College, Oxford, who grant the vicar what is termed “a lease,” and held since 1888 by the Rev. Francis Edwin Allen M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford, and surrogate. St. Andrew’s is an ecclesiastical parish formed June 12, 1856, from the mother parish; the church, erected in 1862, is a plain building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a western belfry, with spire, containing one bell: there are three stained windows in the chancel: the church affords 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1863. The living was declared a rectory May 4, 1866, net yearly value £180, in the gift of New College, Oxford, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Herbert Hippisley Stephens M.A. of that college. The population in 1901 was 7,284. St. Albans Mission church was built at a cost of £1,300, and opened in October, 1890. The Catholic chapel, in Laurie square, dedicated to St. Edward the Confessor, was erected in 1853, by the 14th Lord Petre, and has a stained east window, inserted in October, 1885, as a memorial to the late Mr. C. I. Macarthy: the church will seat 300 persons. The Congregational church in South street, opened on July 19th, 1877, is a structure of Kentish rag stone, in the Gothic style, with a tower and spire 66 feet in height and was built at a cost, including site, of about £5,000: there are 470 sittings: the building was considerably damaged by fire on Easter Sunday, 1883, and re-opened in November of the same year; new Sunday schools to hold 350 children have been built, at a cost of £1,400, at the rear of the church. The Baptist chapel, erected in 1847, has 400 sittings. The Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1888, will seat 600 persons; the Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1875, has 300 sittings; the Evangelical Free Church, built in 1902, in the Brentwood road, has 350 sittings; Brazier’s yard Mission is in High street; the Salvation Army holds its meetings in the old Wesleyan chapel in High street. The old Cemetery is on the High road, to the east of the town. The Corn Exchange, in the High st. is private property, but is let for public meetings and concerts; the large hall will hold 400 persons. The Lecture hall of the Congregational school is let for similar purposes. The Public Baths, in the Mawney’s road, and opened in 1900, were erected by the Urban District Council at a cost of £9,000, and are available for public entertainments from November to March. The Police Station in South street was erected in 1893. There are two Volunteer fire brigades: the Brewery brigade, superintendent J. Packer, and the Town brigade, formed in 1890, captain S. Davis. The Coach and Bell, an ancient house in High street, has been a licensed house since the year 1600. The Market place and tolls were purchased in 1892 by the Urban District Council, previous to which they belonged to the manor. A market for cattle and corn, one of the largest round London, is held every Wednesday. Here is the extensive brewing establishment of Messrs. Ind, Coope and Co. Limited; there are three branch banks, a Working Men’s Club and a Young Men’s Institute. Here are the head quarters of the No. 8 Company of the 1st Essex Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers), and of the A and B companies of the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Essex Regiment. A drinking fountain was erected in the Market place in June, 1885, as a testimony of esteem to the late C. I. Macarthy from his fellow townsmen. The Victoria Cottage Hospital, erected in 1888, was enlarged in 1894, and now contains 12 beds and 2 cots. Charities: Roger Reede, of Havering, by will dated 14th February, 1482, left his “new built place in Jay’s Mead, otherwise called Hoo Croft,” for five poor men: these were rebuilt in 1784 and there are now six almshouses for men and two for widows: one almsman, who keeps the accounts and preserves order, is called “the ruler,” and receives £35 yearly, the other men £26, the widows £20; all being supplied with clothes, coals and medical aid: clothes are distributed from the surplus to the poor of Romford, Hornchurch and Dagenham. Robert Ballard, in 1660, devised two houses in Romford to the churchwardens, for the repair of the highways. William Armstead, of Hornchurch, gave to the poor of Romford £2, arising from a farm at Hay Green, and distributed in bread and money; and Andrew Reynolds, by will dated October 7th, 1626, £3, also as a rent-charge. Lewis Betts, by will dated 18th December, 1669, left 20s. to repair a causeway leading to the church, £4 for apprenticing and £2 to eight of the necessitous poor on New Year’s Day. Hannah Richardson left in 1811, £100 Navy Five per Cent. Annuities, upon trust to distribute the interest to the necessitous poor at Christmas; this sum produces about £3 3s. yearly. One Webster by his will gave his housing and appurtenances called “the Tile Kilns,” in Harold Wood ward, upon trust to pay one moiety of the rents to the churchwardens of Romford and Hornchurch respectively. Lady Burleigh’s charity, originally £120, is now only £100 and is lent to various poor tradesmen, free of interest, in sums of £20 each; Palmer’s charity amounts to £7 annually, derived from land in the London road, and is distributed in cash to the poor of the parish at Christmas; the proceeds of. £100, bequeathed by the will of Thomas Bourne, and now invested in Government stocks, is also distributed to the poor at Christmas in cash. Francis Quarles, the celebrated author of the “Book of Emblems,” was born in May, 1592, in the old manor-house, called “Stewards,” that manor having been the property of the Quarles family since 1588; he was educated at Christ’s College, Cambridge, and became cupbearer to the Queen of Bohemia and about 1621 was appointed secretary to Archbishop Usher, whom he accompanied to Ireland: his resolute adherence to the royal cause during the civil war occasioned him much loss, both of property, books and MSS. and is thought to have hastened his death, which took place 8th September, 1644. Marshalls, on the north of the town, is the property of Mrs, Macintosh and is occupied by Mrs. C. P. Matthews. Priests, on the Havering road, the property of Mrs. Mashiter, is in the occupation of Mrs. Haynes. Golf links of 18 holes have been formed at Gidea Hall. The area of Romford parish and Urban District is 5,629 acres; rateable value, £71,741; the population in 1901 was 13,656. The population of the ecclesiastical parishes in 1891 was:-St. Edward the Confessor (parish church), 6,372; St. Andrew, 7,284.

ROMFORD RURAL Parish was formed in 1895 in pursuance of the “Local Government Act, 1894” (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), but was amalgamated with Romford Urban parish in 1900.

Petty Sessions held every Thursday for hearing indictable offences at the Court house at 10 a.m. The following places are included in the petty sessional division:-Cranham (part of), Havering, Hornchurch, Noak Hill, Romford & Upminster.

ROMFORD UNION

Board day, Tue. weekly at the workhouse at 11 a.m.

Romford Union comprises the parishes of Barking, Cranham, Dagenham, Havering, Hornchurch, Ilford, Noak Hill, Rainham, Romford, Upminster, Great Warley & Wennington. The population of the union in 1901 was 95,458; area, 47,652 acres; rateable value (May, 1902), £576,186.

The Workhouse, situated close to the town, was built in 1838 at a cost of £9,500, & will bold 371 inmates.

VOLUNTEERS

1st Essex Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) (No. 8 company), Drill hall, Victoria road.

1 st Volunteer Battalion Essex Regiment (A & B Cos.); Armoury & Drill hall, Market place.

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services

St. Edward’s Church, Rev. Francis Edwin Allen M.A.; Rev. Herbert Llewellyn Pocock M.A.; Rev. Francis George Russell M.A.; Rev. Harold Godefroy B.A.; Rev. Francis George Slemeck B.A. curates; 8 & 11 а.m. 3.30 & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 8 p.m. & Fri. 11 a.m.

St. Andrew’s Church, St. Andrew’s road, Rev. Herbert Hippisley Stephens M.A. rector; Rev. Wilfred Herny Courteen & Rev. Henry Briggs, curates; 10 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Thur. 8 p.m.; 11 a.m. 5 p.m. Wed. & Fri.; 10 a.m. 8 p.m. Mon. Tue. Thur. & sat.

St. Albans Mission Church, Princes road; Rev. Wilfred Henry Courteen, curate in charge; Sun. 10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Holy Communion, 2nd Sunday in month 8 a.m.

All Saints’, Squirrells Heath.

Chapel of Ascension, Collier row, Rev. Joseph Hardwick Pemberton, curate in charge; 8 & 10 & 11 a.m. 3.15 & 6.30 p.m.; Fridays, 7.30 p.m.

St. Thomas’s Chapel, Noak hill.

St. Edward, Catholic, Laurie square, Rev. Henry James Tilley, priest; mass, 8.30 & 11 a.m.; evening service, 3.30 p.m.; daily, 7.30 a.m.

Baptist (Salem), London road. Rev. James McLaren Steven; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Mon. 8 p.m.

Catholic Apostolic Church, Manor road; 10 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.

Congregational, South street, Rev. Henry Joseph Cubitt A.T.S.; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Wed. 8 p.m.

Primitive Methodist, Victoria road, Rev. George Crickmay; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. Sundays; Wed. 7.30 p.m.

Wesleyan, Mawneys road, Rev. Robert Browell; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Tue. 7.15 p.m.

Brazier’s Yard Mission; Sundays, 7 p.m.

Salvation Army, High street.

SCHOOLS

Technical Instruction Committee for the parish of Romford, William Poole, chairman; Robert Elms, Daniel White, George Roughton, Denny Stone, William Adams, Ernest Winmill, Arthur Porter C.C. (ex-officio); sec. John Corbin, South street.

A School Board of 9 members was formed 5th Feb. 1872; William Smith, North street, clerk to the board; B. Keeble, Vine street, attendance officer.

Albert Road Board School, opened 16 June, 1884, at a cost of over £4,000, for 324 boys & girls & 150 infants; average attendance, 360 boys & girls & 150 infants; a new infant school was opened in 1901, at a cost of £4,500, for 290 infants.

Mawneys Road Board School, opened 3 Sept. 1896, for 246 boys, 226 girls & 312 infants; average attendance, 235 boys, 200 girls & 260 infants.

National (mixed & infants), for 340 boys, 190 girls, 200 infants; average attendance, 276 boys & a full attendance of girls & infants: it was erected in 1710 on the foundation of Joseph Bosworth & rebuilt in 1727; the present boys’ school was added in 1835 & by a scheme of the Court of Chancery in 1833, is now open to the children of the parishes of Bomford, Hornchurch & Havering; 40 boys & 20 girls being on the foundation: a plot of ground in South street, upon which stands Bosworth’s buildings & £200 in the funds are the property of the school. For apprenticing out of this school two poor boys of Hornchurch & one of Romford, Mary Hide left in 1714, a sum of £200, which was invested in a rent-charge of £10.

St. Andrew’s, St. Andrew’s road (mixed), erected in 1843, for 234 children; average attendance, 220; Infants, for 234 children; average attendance, 236.

Hainault Forest School, Collier Row (mixed), for 145 children; average attendance, 136.

Romford Factory, Squirrels Heath (mixed), built in 1841 by the Great Eastern Railway Co. for the education of the children of their work people; it will hold 126 children; average attendance, 110.

Catholic, Laurie square (mixed), erected in 1856, for 60 children; new schools were erected in 1892 & will hold 140 children; average attendance, 53.

Kelly's Directory of Essex (1902)

Surnames Found in Romford

RankSurnameNo. of People% of Population
1Smith1731.90
2Brown900.99
3Taylor760.83
4Wood730.80
5Wright630.69
6Johnson620.68
7Green560.61
8Turner550.60
9Carter530.58
10Clark480.53
11Adams470.52
12Baker440.48
13Reynolds440.48
14King430.47
15Palmer430.47
16Cooper410.45
17Davis410.45
18Lee410.45
19Potter400.44
20Hammond380.42
21Harris360.39
22Harding360.39
23Finch360.39
24Staff360.39
25Harvey350.38
26Goodwin350.38
27Martin340.37
28Jackson330.36
29Oliver330.36
30Fitch330.36
31Vale330.36
32Jones320.35
33Reed320.35
34Wilson300.33
35White300.33
36Bennett300.33
37Freeman300.33
38Young290.32
39Banks290.32
40Dennis290.32
41Rich290.32
42Saunders280.31
43Phillips270.30
44Ottley270.30
45Rogers260.29
46Stevens260.29
47Day260.29
48Kemp260.29
49Bryant260.29
50Hale260.29
51Brazier260.29
52Hall250.27
53Bailey250.27
54Thompson240.26
55Axon240.26
56Mason230.25
57Butcher220.24
58Cornell220.24
59Watling220.24
60Whitbread220.24
61Lewis210.23
62Clarke210.23
63Miller210.23
64Stanley210.23
65Wray210.23
66Moore200.22
67Parker200.22
68Shaw200.22
69Ellis200.22
70Webb200.22
71Porter200.22
72Wallis200.22
73Groves200.22
74Durrant200.22
75Benbow200.22
76Cumbers200.22
77Chapman190.21
78Knight190.21
79Shepherd190.21
80Moss190.21
81Mann190.21
82Davey190.21
83Hills190.21
84Farrow190.21
85Starr190.21
86Brooks180.20
87Stone180.20
88Parsons180.20
89Black180.20
90Gunn180.20
91March180.20
92Thorogood180.20
93Dorrington180.20
94Williams170.19
95Cook170.19
96Payne170.19
97Bird170.19
98Archer170.19
99Randall170.19
100Roach170.19

* Statistics based on the 1881 census