Marston Genealogy & History
MARSTON is an important township and village on the Trent and Mersey canal, 1 mile north-east from Northwich station on the Cheshire Lines railway, and with part of Wincham was formed into an ecclesiastical parish March 19, 1875, out of the civil parish of Great Budworth; it is in the Northwich division of the county, hundred, union and county court district of Northwich, petty sessional division of Leftwich, rural deanery of Frodsham and archdeaconry and diocese of Chester. The church of St. Paul, erected in 1874, is a plain edifice of brick in the Early English style, from designs by Mr. Douglas, architect, of Chester, and consists of chancel with vestry and organ chamber on the south side, nave, north aisle with porch and a low spire and turret containing one bell: there are 310 sittings. The register dates from the year 1874. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £97, neb yearly value £200, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Thomas William Sturges B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. Here are several extensive salt works and rock salt mines: that known as the Marston Old Mine” is 120 yards in depth, and contains an excavated area of 35 acres: in 1844 the late Emperor Nicholas of Russia visited this mine with the Royal Society of England, on which occasion it was splendidly illuminated with upwards of 10,000 lights, and a banquet was provided at the bottom. In 1854 Sir W. Hamilton, Sir J. Forbes, Dr. Whewell and other members of the British Association paid a visit to this remarkable mine, when it was again illuminated, and nearly 1,000 people descended in one day to inspect its vast chambers. The Marston Hall Mine, worked by the Salt Union Limited, is also in this township; this is the largest mine in the trade, having an excavated area of about 40 acres. Lady Leighton is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light; subsoil, chiefly sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats, potatoes and turnips. The area is 790 acres of land and 50 of water; rateable value, £6,718; the population in 1891 was, township 961, parish, 1,671.
By Local Government Board Order No. 22,897 (Mar. 24, 1889), a detached part of Marston was added to Wincham.
Church of England Infants’ School, erected, with teacher's residence, in 1855, by public subscription, on a site given by the late Lord de Tabley.
A new school was erected in 1891, at a cost of £1,590, for 224 boys & girls & 150 infants; average attendance, 224 boys & girls & 150 infants.— Kelly's Directory of Cheshire (1896)